Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is downgrading the baseband dangerous when upgrading isn't?

Default Why is downgrading the baseband dangerous when upgrading isn't?
    So I realize this is a total newb question but I've been reading alot about the fact that Apple doesn't want you to downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2.1.

I never let an answer like that satisfy me because I always want to know why. The best I can figure is it is dangerous to downgrade the baseband. Since 3.0 has a new baseband you can't downgrade to 2.2.1 without downgrading the baseband and for some reason you can't easily downgrade the baseband.

So my question is why is it dangerous to downgrade the baseband but it isn't dangerous to upgrade it?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

its not dangerous to downgrade the baseband, it cant be done.

firmwares are not reccommended to be downgraded because the baseband might not be fully compatible with it.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks for your response sean.

I've read posts elsewhere that say that you can downgrade baseband. I'm reading a lot of conflicting information.

That actually makes sense that you can't downgrade to a previous os version when the baseband is a higher version since the two might not play nice with each other.

My real question is why can't you downgrade the baseband. I guess I'm having a metal block because I think of baseband is some type of firmware that you can flash onto a chip. If you can send a newer version of the baseband to a chip why can't you send an older version?

You absolutely CANT downgrade the baseband.

Why: Because there is no way of doing it. Baseband updates come wrapped into the FW and as of yet, no method of the iphone accepting/overwriting a newer baseband with an older one has been found.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    You absolutely CANT downgrade the baseband.

Why: Because there is no way of doing it. Baseband updates come wrapped into the FW and as of yet, no method of the iphone accepting/overwriting a newer baseband with an older one has been found.
    Ok I think I'm getting closer to understanding this. The baseband version and os version are seperate correct? In other words is it possible for Apple to release a new os without a new baseband? I'm assuming the os gets installed to the flash while the baseband probably gets flashed onto the chip that handles radio signals?

I'm also probably assuming the only way to flash the chip handling radio signals is through some hardware and or software that prevents you from flashing an older version?

What I'm getting at is does it appear to be some sort of hardware constraint where you phsycially can't downgrade the baseband without destroying the hardware or is it some sort of block Apple has in place.

^Exactly. FW and BB are seperate versions but wrapped together and yeah, the baseband doesnt have to get upgraded because the FW does. What type of restraint, dunno....cause it hasnt been figured out by anyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

neo8820 (2009-03-20)

Quote Originally Posted by neo8820 View Post
    is it some sort of block Apple has in place.
    Yup.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.