Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 1604 prevents restore from completing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Error 1604 prevents restore from completing
    Original iPhone
    iPhone OS 2.2.1 (jailbroken and unlocked with QuickPwn 2.2.5 and PwnageTool 2.2.5)
    Mac OS X 10.5.6
    iTunes 8.1

My iPhone has been updated from the original iPhone OS version through 2.2.1, never missing a version. It has been jailbroken from the beginning but unlocked for only 6 months.

In the past week, it became unstable with Safari and Springboard crashing frequently which had not happened before. This began shortly after I installed Cycorder but I have no reason to blame Cycorder.

So I decided to reinstall the operating system and apps and resync. Using PwnageTool, I created a jailbroken 2.2.1 installation. I then attempted to use iTunes to restore my custom 2.2.1 installation. The restoration appeared to be progressing normally until after about 5 minutes of restoration after which the restoration failed with error 1604 leaving my iPhone cycling continuously between recovery mode and rebooting.

I have tried restoring from DFU mode, deleting all files in ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support, downgrading my USB driver, etc., etc. I have read as many of the many posts about error 1604 as I can stomach, but I have not discovered the underlying reason for this error and the solution.

So at present, I have a bricked iPhone. Any suggestions would be appreciated as long as they don't include using Windows or reinstalling or downgrading OS X. Thanks in advance!

Aloha and med vänlig hälsning,
    Art

Thanks

Were you running OSX 10.5.6 the last time you upgraded? If not, you need to connect through a powered USB hub.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Were you running OSX 10.5.6 the last time you upgraded? If not, you need to connect through a powered USB hub.
    I don't recall for certain, but I think that it is very likely that I was running a previous OS X version. I tend to apply updates to OS X and iPhone OS almost as soon as they are available. I *think* that iPhone OS 2.2.1 was available before OS X 10.5.6.

Can you explain why a powered USB hub would now be necessary when it has never been in the past? What has changed? I don't have a powered USB hub and don't need one for anything else, so I hesitate to purchase one without understanding why it is necessary.

I should add that I am now using an old 12" 1.5 GHz. PPC PowerBook whereas most of the previous iPhone updates were applied using an Intel iMac. After I return to Hawaiʻi from Sweden tomorrow, I will have access to my old 1 GHz. G4 PPC iMac running an earlier version of OS X than 10.5.6. If I use it to install my custom version of iPhone OS 2.2.1, should I expect that to succeed?

Art

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Have MAC OSX 10.5.6 or aMAC Book slim? You have a problem entering DFU mode. Here is an easy fix from the dev-team blog:

1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily Log release for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    3. Install IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    4. Reboot your system!
    Try that, same stuff happened to me.

Thanks

You can do what Ivan posted on 10.5.6 or you can waitbuntil you have access to the system with the older OS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can do what Ivan posted on 10.5.6 or you can waitbuntil you have access to the system with the older OS
    I just tried restoring using an iMac running OS X 10.5.5 and a version of iTunes older than 8.1. Same problem exactly. I'll have to give some further consideration to purchasing a USB hub that I don't need for anything else. I don't like trying things that I don't really understand which describes the USB hub workaround. Can anyone explain why using a USB hub should work when using a regular USB port doesn't work? Or can anyone suggest something else that I might try. I just spent about 20 hours flying without having access to the games on my iPhone which was a drag especially with so many others on the same flights playing games on their iPhones and iPod touches.

Art

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I just tried restoring using an iMac running OS X 10.5.5 and a version of iTunes older than 8.1. Same problem exactly. I'll have to give some further consideration to purchasing a USB hub that I don't need for anything else. I don't like trying things that I don't really understand which describes the USB hub workaround. Can anyone explain why using a USB hub should work when using a regular USB port doesn't work? Or can anyone suggest something else that I might try. I just spent about 20 hours flying without having access to the games on my iPhone which was a drag especially with so many others on the same flights playing games on their iPhones and iPod touches.

Art
    You should have tried it on theOSX 10.5.5 with iTunes at ver. 8.1 It probably didnt work this time because the iTunes was too old.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    Try that, same stuff happened to me.
    Installing the IOUSBFamily-315.4 was the first thing that I tried. I used this approach during a previous update, but it doesn't work now for some reason now. Maybe I should try that again since nothing else has worked and I'm getting pretty desperate by now.

Art

You should have tried it on theOSX 10.5.5 with iTunes at ver. 8.1 It probably didnt work this time because the iTunes was too old.
    If only certain very limited combinations of OS version and iTunes work correctly, then jailbreaking and unlocking has become almost too risky to attempt any longer which would be a shame.

Art
    Last edited by art; 2009-03-24 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK, I've almost run out of options, so I borrowed a powered USB hub and attempted to restore my iPhone to unmodified 2.2.1. Same result - error 1604.

Does anyone know what error 1604 means? Are there others who have basically had to discard their iPhones because they were unable to solve the error 1604 problem? I don't know of anything else to attempt, so I may have to throw my useless iPhone in the trash unless someone can recommend a real solution.

Art

ive had the 1604 since trying to downgrade from 3.0 (legit developer account). ive found that if i restore back to 3.0 then it works fine so i wouldnt bin it as it will probably work again when that update comes out. or you could buy the upgrade off ebay? i mean you wont have jailbreak or anything like that but at least the iphone should work. theyre selling for 99p.
    Step 1: Make signature. Step 2: ??? Step 3: PROFIT!!

well some suggested to me if I shut off the computer and power it back with the phone connected the sysytem will read the phone download the driver and then you should be good to go with Itune.
    Off course that didn't work for me but you can try it.
    And Apple support suggested to uninstal Itune and all programs assoiated with it and reinstall then you should be ok..
    This also didn't work for me buck what the heck you can try ....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to haizei For This Useful Post:

art (2009-04-07)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I created a new partition on my old G4 iMac, installed Leopard 10.5.0 with its included iTunes 7.4.2 version, and attempted the restore several times using a powered USB hub. Same error.

After about a week, I tried restoring on the same system that failed initially: PowerBook G4, Mac OS X 10.5.6, iTunes 8.1. This time the restoration proceeded past where it had previously with the progress bar indicating that the restoration was proceeding. But an error 14 stopped the restoration with the progress bar at about 30%. So I tried a second time with no changes. This time the restoration to unhacked iPhone 2.2.1 succeeded. I chose to set up my iPhone as a new phone rather than using a previous backup just in case a corrupt backup might have been causing the instability that caused me to attempt a restore initially.

I then ran QuickPwn 2.2.5 to activate, jailbreak, and unlock my iPhone. I installed ssh so that I could access my iPhone's file system. I then tried to reinstall some of the Apple App Store apps that I had previously purchased by syncing via iTunes. I was unable to install several of them due to verification problems. I tried installing them directly to my iPhone from the App Store with an "unable to download" message.

Calendar crashes within a second of launch every time. I deleted the SQLite database that Calendar uses, but the crashes continued. I resynced my calendars to recreate the SQLite database, but the crashes continue.

When I booted my iPhone this morning, the SMS app icon was missing from the home screen. I had installed BossPrefs and had hidden a couple of apps, but not the SMS app. Now when I try to access the app hiding feature of BossPrefs, BossPrefs crashes.

The same app crashings and system panics that began in early March and that were the reason why I tried to restore initially persist are occurring now. I no longer believe that these problems are due to corrupt firmware/software.

I now believe that a hardware problem with my iPhone is causing the restore failures, app crashes, and system panics. This feels like what happens with bad RAM. So I'm fairly resigned to the fact that my iPhone is probably unrepairable. I got it about a month after the iPhones were originally released, so it has had a decent life.

When Apple offers a new unlocked iPhone with no mobile phone contract required, I will be in the market for a replacement.

Thanks for all of your repair suggestions!

Art