Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading from 2.2.1 to 1.1.4 -- Any known issues?

Default Downgrading from 2.2.1 to 1.1.4 -- Any known issues?
    I considered everyone's advice and decided proven, reliable performance is more important than getting 100 new apps.

Are there any known issues if I want to downgrade my firmware from 2.2.1 to 1.1.4 ? iTunes starts extracting and preparing the phone, then has an error message "Unknown Error Occurred (1601)."
    Help please?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html
    Same guide works for 2.2.1 to 1.1.4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

dt3001 (2009-03-16)

Doesn't iLiberty have an option or function to downgrade the baseband? Is there any way to streamline the process a little bit? That's a pretty detailed guide and I've never used kiphone or tried to flash the baseband before.

A lot of people thanked Poseidon79 for that guide, so it must work, but really just feeling confused now about the whole upgrade/downgrade issue. Damn I wish my phone had not messed up!

^Naw thats about it....to have a working phone.

Why so upset with 2.2.1?? I run it with no problems what so ever.

Default Just to clarify
    I guess 2.2.1 would be fine ... except that I can't get Quickpwn to complete its work. It either closes with an error or spins forever just after the point that you're supposed to release the Home button. I mean, I'm really not sure what to do. I just want my phone to work, play music, etc. I use it more as a PDA than anything. As long as I can get a few free apps through Cydia and customize the appearance, I'm willing to forego all the 25,000 apps. I just can't get Quickpwn to work or it wouldn't be an issue!

Plus, several people have told me now they wished they still ran 1.1.4 since it's faster than any of the 2.0+ firmware. To me, it sounds great to put Vista on a brand new computer, but would you try to run Vista on a Pentium 4 machine with only 512 of ram? No, and I suspect that's why these later firmware seem so much slower on a 1st generation iphone. Apple just wants everyone to trade in their phone every 6 months or year--why else do you think they are coming out with newer firmware all the time and pushing "3g" all the time while making plans to release the next version 3.0 at the same time. Apple is no better than Microsoft or anyone else--they want to keep you "consuming" their latest products, never mind the carbon footprint of all those tossed phones and electricity used by people constantly upgrading software. Just be happy with what you have if it works and you can depend on it.

Poseidon79

I'm having trouble with the method you listed above. First of all, iTunes below version 7.7 (specifically, 7.5 that you listed) does not recognize an iPhone.

Using iTunes 7.7, I've attempted twice now to install v1.1.4 firmware, and it doesn't go past extracting the files. As soon as it begins to install, the error occurs so it's not putting the firmware on the phone before I downgrade the baseband.

I also tried to interface with iLiberty to kick out of boot mode, and it doesn't seem to recognize either. Would it work to try to downgrade the baseband first, using KiPhone? Any suggestions (from anyone)?

Can you look at my last update and help please?
    Last edited by dt3001; 2009-03-17 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost