Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advantages to using a custom ipsw file over using Quickpwn

Default Advantages to using a custom ipsw file over using Quickpwn
    Are there any? I see people asking for them and posting download links but Im not quite sure why.

In my opinion......the phone runs much better with a Pwnage custom FW file, verses "hacking" up the firmware thats already installed. Plus you have a few other options with Pwnage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

ImMikeW (2009-03-05)

Thanks, I have heard that just wanted to make sure I remembered correctly. Is Pwnage pretty much straight-forward or is there some tutorial I should read on it to get the best results?

Its basically straight forward....but its for Mac. So if your WinPC, your gonna be looking for a custom ipsw to download

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

ImMikeW (2009-03-05)

I am running Leopard on VMware, so I I am going to try to run Pwnage through that. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Thanks

Lets us know the out come.

I met my obstacle. I successfully have Leopard running in VMware player, but it can't connect to the internet, read a CD, or access my files on Vista which prevents me from installing Pwnage. Im looking for a fix but does anyone know an easy way to do this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImMikeW View Post
    I met my obstacle. I successfully have Leopard running in VMware player, but it can't connect to the internet, read a CD, or access my files on Vista which prevents me from installing Pwnage. Im looking for a fix but does anyone know an easy way to do this?
    I figured that.

You can look around for a custom ipsw to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    I figured that.

You can look around for a custom ipsw to use.
    Well do you know of one that has the baseband update enabled? Im with ATT so it can only help me and I don't need to unlock my phone.

you can use all of the features of vmware only if you have workstation

so i cant give you any links but i would try isohunt

Thanks

Well do you know of one that has the baseband update enabled? Im with ATT so it can only help me and I don't need to unlock my phone.
    Check your PM....

Your welcome M8!!
    Last edited by Zwayne; 2009-03-07 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Are there any? I see people asking for them and posting download links but Im not quite sure why.
    The main advantage is that it's cheaper than buying a MAC for all us Windows users

Personally I'm sticking with 2.20 for the moment as the main reason for the 2.2.1 upgrade seems to be to stop YellowSn0w the other advantages are very minor bug fixes.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

use quikpwn 2.2.5 for firmware 2.2.1