Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: QuickPWN or WinPWN

Default QuickPWN or WinPWN
    I am jailbreaking my brothers 3G Iphone and upgrading it to the latest 2.2.1 firmware. I have done my own a few times using QuickPWN, but it was previously jailbroken. What i need to know is, this is the first time his will have been jailbroken, so will i have to use WinPWN or is it ok to just use QuickPWN?

If you want to use YellowSn0w (or might want to in the future) then you have to use WinPWN to preserve the 2.28 Modem Version. Otherwise, as long as you don't need any special settings, QuickPWN will work just fine and be easier to use (some people will also argue that the resulting phone will run faster). Personally I include a bunch of my Apps, an expanded partition, etc., in my custom IPSW, so I use PWNage.
    Evolution of an iPhone User:
    Pager -> StarTac -> Other Moto Phones -> BlackBerry -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs --> iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4S --> iPhone Implant?

Evolution of a Mac User:
    Apple ][+ -> //e -> IBM PC DOS -> Fat Mac -> Mac SE -> Windows -> Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 2000 -> Win XP -> Mac OS X --> Mac OS XI - Someday

iMac 27" Core i7 (2011) - MacBook Air 13" (2011) - iPad 2 32GB WiFi - iPhone 4S 32GB

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

Neffs88 (2009-03-02)

can you even use winpwn anymore? ive never played with it enough to see

but i would say quickpwn

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

quickpwn or pwnage tool(mac only)
    winpwn hasnt worked since 2.1
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

Default Re: QuickPwn or WinPwn
    I am jailbreaking my brothers 3G Iphone and upgrading it to the latest 2.2.1 firmware. I have done my own a few times using QuickPWN, but it was previously jailbroken. What i need to know is, this is the first time his will have been jailbroken, so will i have to use WinPWN or is it ok to just use QuickPWN?
    WinPwn developement stopped 6 months ago and is a dead product now. WinPwn is not able to jailbreak or unlock firmwares above 2.02. My advice is to update your firmware to 2.2 and use QuickPwn 2.2.5-2, which works on both Windows and MAC OSX platforms.

Avoid updating your firmware to a stock firmware 2.2.1 because Apple slipped in a baseband update (2.30.03) that can not be unlocked by software (Yellowsn0w). Firmware 2.2.1 is a very minor update that many people believe was released to prevent the yellowsnow unlock from working.

Here is a link for detail instructions for jailbreaking and unlocking firmware 2.2 for the iPhone 3G using QuickPwn in the forum thread http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ml#post3405031

Thanks guys for all your replies. I was 99% sure it was QuickPWN i should use, i just needed some expert reassurance :-)