Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading firmware and baseband on 3G

Question Upgrading firmware and baseband on 3G
    I have a 3G with firmware 2.1(5f136) and Baseband of 02.11.07 . I would like to upgrade it to 2.2 firmware and 2.28.00 baseband . I think I can upgrade the firmware properly by holding down the shift key in itunes to upgrade the firmware with a ipsw restore file , but what will happen to the baseband ? I dont want it to go to 2.30.03.
    Anyone know how this can be done ?

Thanks

Default Re: Upgrading firmware and baseband on 3G
    If you restore firmware 2.2 for the iPhone 3G (2nd gen) called iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw it will only update the baseband to 2.28.00 and is unlockable by Yellowsn0w. Make sure you hold the SHIFT key + press Restore in iTunes. The direct link for the 2.2 3G firmware at Apple is http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....7_Restore.ipsw.

In order to update your iPhone to firmware 2.2.1 without updating the baseband, you can not restore Apple's unmodified firmware 2.2.1 in iTunes. Your iPhone 3G must be running 2.2 so it has the 2.28.00 baseband, which is required for the Yellowsn0w unlock. You must use PwnageTool 2.2.5 (MAC OSX) to create a custom IPSW file to preserve the 2.28.00 baseband.

My advice is to stick with firmware 2.2 and use QuickPwn 2.2.5-2, which works on both Windows and MAC OSX platforms. From what I have been told about the firmware 2.2.1, it is a very minor update that only fixed a few small problems and in my oppinion was released to prevent the Yellowsn0w unlock from working.

Here is a link for detail instructions for jailbreaking and unlocking firmware 2.2 for the iPhone 3G in the thread http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...ml#post3405031
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-02-27 at 10:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

Fallguy (2009-02-27)

I didnt know you do a restore on a higher firmware . I somehow believed a restore was done on a lower one . Thanks