Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions about Upgrading from 2.2 to 2.2.1

Default Questions about Upgrading from 2.2 to 2.2.1
    If I upgrade through iTunes will my device work after the upgrade if it was previously jailbroken in 2.2 or will I have to jailbreak it again? Also do I lose all of my settings and App Store apps if I do this?

I also read that if you upgrade rather than doing a restore you lose disk space. Is this right? If I do a restore will it put my device to an un jailbroken state?

I do not use this device for making phone calls or anything other than dat on a Wifi network so unlock isn;t so important to me. Just want to be able to upgrade with as little pain as possible.

Also are there any real reasons to upgrade to 2.2.1 at this time? A few apps (nothing I care much about) have updates that will not work unless you are on 2.2.1 but other than that I have not seen any real reason to upgrade. Will all these apps stop working as the firmare versions go up?

Thanks for helping a noob out.
    Last edited by deadringer; 2009-02-24 at 01:47 AM.

You cant restore and go to 2.2.1. It is an upgrade.

And yes everything will be wiped and you will have to re-jailbreak. Upgrading or restoring is just like formatting and reloading the OS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2009-02-24)

cpjr...the reason I asked about doing a restore first before doing the upgrade came from reading this

How To Upgrade In iTunes | iPhone News, Help and Guides

First off, you never use “upgrade” on a jailbroken device. If you do that, you automatically lose about 500mb of disk space and never recover it until you finally restore. If you upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.1 using upgrade button, you lose 500mb. If you then upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, you lose *another* 500mb. And this continues until you hit the restore button. The data loss is because Cydia moves your files around to free up space. The moved files become inaccessible but stay on your disk which means you essentially just lose the space. The more apps you had installed in Cydia, the more space you lose.

I misunderstood your question....yes....

You would want to "restore" first......THEN "upgrade"......then re-jailbreak and you will have to load all your stuff back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2009-02-24)

Ok thanks again. I wish there was an easier way. I am sure everyone does. So if the device was not jailbroken in the first palce this 500MB disk space thing would not be an issue I take it?

Correct. And yeah.....a hackers life is never easy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2009-02-24)

cpjr....just one more thing. If I have downloaded songs and apps from the appstore will I be able to sync everything back to my phone after I restore/upgrade and then jailbreak to 2.2.1 or does everything have to be manually downloaded again?

Everything you have in itunes.....can be synced right back from itunes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

deadringer (2009-02-24)

cpjr....thansk so much i really appreciate all the advice and feedback. Now I just have to find a good enough reason to upgrade to 2.2.1 so far I have not seen a good reason although as I stated it seems some apps are already 2.2.1 only. I also noticed that youtube videos are acting funny today and wonder if that is also attributed to not upgrading.

Time will tell

Thanks again!

I am still running 2.2, 2.2.1 is no big deal to me. I will wait for a "bigger, better" update to go through the hassle.