Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to Jailbreaking...Couple of Questions..

Default New to Jailbreaking...Couple of Questions..
    Hey people, great to be a member here.
    Anyway, so im most likely getting an iphone 3g tomorrow, and i want to jailbreak it. But there are a few questions that are floating around in my head..Okay so first of all, what are some of the major benefits of jailbreaking? I already know about the free apps (which is mostly the reason im jailbreaking it in the first place) but what else can be done. Also, regarding the free apps, how does that work? Does itunes automatically recognize that the iphone is jailbroken and just doesn't charge me for apps? That would be nice

Secondly, How would i put custom themes on the iphone? Do i have to dig deep into the phones....registry(for all you pc's out there)and modify something there? Or is it just as straightforward as downloading a program that handles all of that in a clean user friendly manner?

Man im so excited about jailbreaking and free apps, and I DONT EVEN HAVE THE IPHONE YET!!
    Haha, reply soon people,
    Thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, i forgot to mention. Please reply to me as if you were talking to a 10 year old (not that I'm 10 years old or anything). I just want to be able to understand what you guys are telling me. So if you mention some type of specific program or application, please explain a little about it.
    That's about it!
    Last edited by farahm2; 2009-02-24 at 01:00 AM.

Jailbreaking allows you to install apps that apple doesnt allow and allows you to modify many things on your phone...one big one being the interface. as an average user this would benifit you alot

as far as adding a theme its pretty easy. you will have to learn a little about it but there are easy ways to do it and many people here would be glad to help. here are a few applications you may want to look at. they are ones i have on my phone.

Cycorder- this allows you to do video recording with your phone. it does NOT let you do this by default

Winterboard- This will allow you to theme your phone. its also very simple to use

iRealSMS- this one costs money but is well worth it. this is like the sms app on steroids. if you text alot you may want to look into this app. it has landscape (your iphone sideways) texting and other awesome features

then there are countless apps in the appstore you can pick up too

if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

You will still have to pay for apps that have a price from the Apple store....Then there are free apps that you can d/l from Cydia.

You can manually upload themes or you can use winterboard.

im sort of new, i also am getting an iphone 3g and i had the same exact questions but does jailbreaking the phone have any downsides? like does it not let me do certain things that the phone normally would?

Thanks

No....if anything it opens up the phone so that you can modd it more.

Hey, thanks for the answers, people! I appreciate it. But your answers present more questions,

First of all, to go along with lostboyinlove02's question, does jailbreaking the iphone limit the normal features? And if so, then which ones?
    Okay so, I'm still a little confused about how to add themes and apps from Cydia. So while i was waiting for replies from you guys, i was browsing through some themes for the iphone. I actually found a couple of good ones. So how would i get those onto the phone? Like can i just do it straight from the iphone through the app you mentioned, Winterboard? Or do i have to plug in my iphone to the computer and add it somehow like that? And also, i have seen a couple of friends install apps form installer, but how do i know that installer would have the app that i am looking for? Like does it have every app in the world? Or are there actually some that i wouldn't be able to get?

And one last thing, say i download some apps from the internet from ********** and i have them on my computer. How do i put those apps on the iphone? Do i just drag and drop them into itunes? Or is there some type of wireless code that i insert into the iphone and it automatically adds that specific app? (BTW, if you don't know about **********, it's really great, and helpful. But, you probably already know about it, after all, you are the experts)!
    Last edited by farahm2; 2009-02-24 at 01:52 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to farahm2 For This Useful Post:

lostboyinlove02 (2009-02-24)

Thanks

No it dose not limit the normal features of the iphone.
    You can upload themes manually by using winscp or cyberduck....wifi.
    Are you can d/l them from cydia and use winterboard to use the theme.
    Installer is about dead.

You can use IPA apps.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zwayne For This Useful Post:

lostboyinlove02 (2009-02-24)

just for clarification we will not support the installation of any cracked or stolen applications. any questions about those must be asked elsewhere.

I also wouldnt suggest doing themes manually. that is tons of hard work for a beginner. even as an advanced user i wouldnt do that.

and to add on to zwaynes post...most people dont use installer....its cydia that people use. when you jailbreak your iphone this will automatically install
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole Jailbreaking thing as well. From what I've read here on MMI, do I understand correctly that I can buy a new iPhone 3G from an Apple Retail Store, bring it home and Jailbreak it on my Mac for use with T-mobile? Thanks so much!