Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about jailbreaking an Iphone that might be carrier unlocked

Default Question about jailbreaking an Iphone that might be carrier unlocked
    Hi there, first post here and sorry if this has been asked and answered, but the search feature netted me no answers.

I travel for work and AT&T has always given me unlock codes for my phone(s). Next month I'll be trading in my HTC Windows Mobile phone for a 3G IPhone, a legit sale from AT&T on a brand new phone. I plan on asking AT&T for the unlock code or procedure just like I have in the past, and I hope they intend to give it to me.

So my question is, do I want to unlock the phone before or after I jailbreak it, or does it make any difference?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There's no such thing as an "unlock code" for an iPhone. You would have to ask AT&T to special order you a factory unlocked iPhone which may or may not be possible. They sell for big bucks.

Crud. Well that sucks. I haven't ordered the phone yet, maybe I'll request that when I do. Thanks for the heads up, but any idea on the question of jailbreaking?

I just know with my other phones they took the serial number information from me and using some crystal ball technology told me what code to punch in and voila, it worked in Europe and Canada, etc, whereever I got a new SIM for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

As per your jailbreak/unlock question.. there are complications. One... you don't have the phone yet so there's no way to know what firmware it will have on it. If you wait too long I'm sure it will have firmware 2.2.1 (or above) which is NOT unlockable via software yet. You'd be forced to buy a TurboSIM or something. If it ships with firmware 2.2 then you would have to jailbreak first because the program to unlock can only be downloaded from a jailbroken device.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

slambo (2009-02-24)

Thanks for the info Poseidon, I guess I'll have some questions to ask when I call to order the phone. Worst case, it seems there are progs out there that allow me to upgrade the firmware and I guess from there I can unlock. It's not a huge deal, I can still use my WM phone while traveling.

UPDATE:

I just called AT&T to do a preemptive strike on this issue and was told that "The unlock codes come from Apple, you would have to take it to an Apple store for that" To which I replied BS, I pay my bill to AT&T, not Apple. He then changed the story to "You'll put in a case with our tech dept, they'll contact Apple and text you a code to unlock the phone" I asked him point blank if it would just be a code, like my WM phone, and he replied that the answer was yes. He did not, however, inspire confidence and I'll likely call back in the hopes of a better rep answering the phone.
    Last edited by slambo; 2009-02-24 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

dam that sucks id ask for a iphone on 2.2 firmware as 2.2.1 has updated base band...which is phone part and cannot be unlocked yet.. Usually updates to base band cannot b undone as im aware.?? Im in uk so have no need to unlock

Oh i forgot if you dont ave much luk with reps google apple inc and ring direct theyre more helpful than outlets
    Last edited by fattyindoors; 2009-02-24 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Okay, update again. I just got off the phone with yet another Cust Service rep who seemed to know what she was talking about. In short "Oh, we can't unlock Iphones" Really? I get the phone from you and pay you for the service and you can't unlock it? "No sir, it's an agreement AT&T has with Apple, we are not allowed to unlock them" This was at the tail end of my call where I was getting my latest (warranty replaced) WM phone unlocked. I was like, you can unlock this phone but not the new one I'll be getting in a month? Nope, no way, nada, you're banging your head against a wall on this one.

So I guess I have to go completely rogue. It kills me that so many people sell these phones on Craigslist as "Jailbroken and Unlocked!!!" as if it's so hard, from what I've seen it's free and easy, and a refurb from AT&T is only $100 for an 8GB right now.