Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with bringing a jailbroken phone to the apple store...

Default Help with bringing a jailbroken phone to the apple store...
    I bought my 3g about 40 days ago, and now the screen is broken (white screen of death). Im currently using it with T-mobile, so I popped the SIM out and brought to the Genius Bar to see what they said.

They say they can replace the screen for me...its under warranty...no problems. However, once they replace the screen, theyre going to see that its jailbroken.

Would they then say its not under warranty and charge me for the new screen?

I was also thinking of maybe just updating to the new firmware/baseband, bringing it in there, and then just asking for a new phone instead. Would the ones out of the box have the newest firmware and such so that I wouldnt be able to unlock it again?

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I would just disable winterboard and such to make it look normal, but I cant see the friggin screen to do this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

You can try to restore to the firmware you have now. One thing to keep in mind, every time I have had either an iPod or iPhone with warranty repair needed, The Apple Genius just replaced the unit on the spot. The new ones do not always have the latest firmware. When I bought my 3G, 2.0.1 was out for at least a week or two, but the phone I received was 2.0. When we replaced my son's 2G, 2.1 firmware was long out but his came loaded with 2.0.

Apparently, the Apple Store in Newark, DE said they are one of the few stores that can actually replace the screen. I was thinking of just asking for a new one though.

How would I restore the firmware that I currently have? Is that in iTunes?

I think that would probably be a good option. Then they can fix the screen and I would still be able to jailbreak it...

Thanks!

just open itunes and click restore

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i would think i wouldnt matter if you were jailbroken because the screen doesnt have anything to do with the software. and who cares if they do anyways. they cant just keep your phone because its jailbroken. there isnt actually a law against jailbreaking. is there?

Thanks

Prime example of why Apple declared jailbreaking illegal.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

only option is itune restore.

When I go to "restore," it says it will restore the phone to the original state and update it to the newest software....aahhhh

Is there anyway to prevent it from updating while still restoring it?

Nevermind...got it!

(in case anyone is wondering, hold "shift" (on windows) and press restore. Then download the 2.2 firmware and you can force it to use that one...)
    Last edited by elguapo16; 2009-02-19 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Prime example of why Apple declared jailbreaking illegal.
    why is that? i dont understand. we are talking about a screen on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by keatonec View Post
    Don't bother trying to understand
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-02-21 at 05:17 AM.

i have some bad news for you though

when you take it to the apple store if they have to do a fix they will most likely do a restore of the firmware which means that you will have 2.2.1 and no unlock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Don't bother trying to understand
    i cant tell if you are being rude or just trying to tell me not to waste my time?

he is saying dont waste your time eurisko has been stuck on the apple jailbreaking is illegal nonsense today

he probobly just came from my thread http://www.modmyi.com/forums/member-...ml#post3381231

Thanks

Yes, they are being rude. And because the OP is scrambling to find a way to con Apple into thinking he didn't void his warranty so they'll replace his unit for free.

And I'm not "stuck" on the legality issue, I'm simply calling a spade a spade, something everyone else seems to be spinning into personal vendetta on Apple's part.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

i cant tell if you are being rude or just trying to tell me not to waste my time?
    A little of both I guess... sorry guys and Eurisko, I'll stay out of it.

Thanks

i guess i see what you are saying. if there were two warranties it might work then, one for the hardware and one for the software. then it wouldnt matter. but then the company would probably lose allot more money.