Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G - Error 2001 during DFU

Default iPhone 2G - Error 2001 during DFU
    Hi everybody. I have a jailbroken iPhone 2G with firmware 2.2. When updating to 2.2.1, problems started to arise. After a while I managed to restore it to the original 2.2.1, but now it's obviously locked. So I did the procedure as usual, which is: Pwnage Tool, load up the firmware (I tried both 2.2.1 and 2.2), create a custom firmware, let Pwnage set the iPhone in DFU mode and install the custom firmware through iTunes.
    Everything goes fine until the iTunes part starts. After Pwnage confirms that the phone is in DFU, iTunes opens up with the error "an unknown error occurred (2001)". I did a lot of research but all I found is how to force a restore, but that wouldn't help me 'cause the iPhone would actually restore, but would be locked!

Any help is really appreciated. I'm desperate!

Just to let you know, I tried QuickPwn too and it's stuck after it puts the iPhone in DFU, as it keeps saying "the mod will run on your iPhone" forever.

EDIT: I want to add that when I try recovery mode instead of DFU, if I select any custom firmware (2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1) I receive an error on iTunes "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)"
    Last edited by marione; 2009-02-11 at 07:33 PM.

On itunes,delete the device support file.
    Create a new custom firmware
    Put it into dfu mode
    If you take some errors,close itunes&reopen it.
    Restore to custom firmware...

I have the exact same problem. Please help, I tried deleting the Device support in iTunes, if by that you mean deleting the backup files under Preferences>Devices if that's not it, please let me know.

I had this error when I tried restoring at 2.2, eventually extricated myself (and cannot remember how) but this time, when I got it again, I just took the phone out of its dock, and rebooted. Fortunately I had already updated (not restored) with 2.2.1 and the unlock persisted, so all is well here. Marione... restoring was your prob, I think that (instead of update) is what probably locked your phone again.

Are you using Windows or Mac? If Mac, I believe there is an issue with 10.5.6 and DFU mode, and there is a workaround... I just haven't found a babysteps guide yet, alas. When I went to DFU, everything was hunkydory until the 10th second of holding the Home button, which it never got to. I released the button at what seemed to me to be maybe 15 secs, and after a bit, pwnage said the DFU was successful. It wasn't. Or Leopard didn't like it.

I think I am giving up now. It just seems too hard to keep bothering to jailbreak with first gen phones (and I am noticing some improvement in terms of speed and stability without a jailbreak).
    Last edited by kyteflyer; 2009-03-07 at 12:58 AM.

On OSX,try mkdir ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support,if that directory is already there,try removing any files in it.
    But,i have just noticed that you re also getting error 21.It means phone could not be put into restore mode.So if you on mac 10.5.6,you have use Automator script or powered usb hub to pass dfu issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dejawoo For This Useful Post:

WeR1Family (2009-11-25)

I am on a Mac running OSX 10.5.6. I am getting the -21 error in iTunes after putting the iPhone in DFU mode using pwnage tool. How do I use Automator script or find a powered USB hub to pass the DFU issue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LTOBIN0109 View Post
    I am on a Mac running OSX 10.5.6. I am getting the -21 error in iTunes after putting the iPhone in DFU mode using pwnage tool. How do I use Automator script or find a powered USB hub to pass the DFU issue?
    Try here :iClarified - iPhone - How to Enable DFU Mode in Mac OS X 10.5.6

However you need to be very careful with this. You might be better off buyin a powered USB hub and connecting your iPhone through it instead if you are a computer novice.

Quote Originally Posted by dejawoo View Post
    On OSX,try mkdir ~/Library/iTunes/Device Support,if that directory is already there,try removing any files in it.
    But,i have just noticed that you re also getting error 21.It means phone could not be put into restore mode.So if you on mac 10.5.6,you have use Automator script or powered usb hub to pass dfu issue.
    Thanks Dejawoo!!! You are my hero!!! Yay!!!
    The error had stopped appearing by following your advice of removing any files in the Device Support folder. Finally at last i had successfully custom restored my iPhone (by following your kind advice and also by connecting the iPhone through USB hub as my mac is 10.5.6)