Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Keep running circles with iPhone update

Angry Keep running circles with iPhone update
    Ok so I've tried everything trying to update my jailbroken iphone 2g through windows and mac and still nothing. I hook it up to itunes and restore it through there, goes to the "emergency mode" after restore.
    When I try and jailbreak it with QuickPwn225 through windows and I follow ALL those steps indicated in iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)

The iphone stays on step 11 on recovery mode and the scren goes back to the insert iphone to itunes.

I tried it on the mac and it goes into DFU mode but what else do I do from there? I tried and recover it with the file that comes with it and it goes back to the connect iphone to itunes.
    Seems that everything that I do takes me back to that stupid conect iphone to itunes screen.

Feels like I'm running around in circles. Before I tried to update my iphone, I had it unlocked with Ziphone and it went through without any problems, as soon as I restored it I went into "running in circles mode" with the updating and restoring of my iphone.
    Can anyone please help? What I'm I doing wrong? I have no idea what the version of the restore is since whenever I restore it, the iphone stays on emergency mode.
    I've searched and done a few things and still..........HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Nope dude, it goes back to the same stupid connect iphone to itunes. I tried it on the mac and it can't find the firmware bundle even though I downloaded the correct file.
    Ok so is there anyway just to get my iphone to normal working conditions without jaibreaking it?
    I just need my phone right now.
    Now unless I'm doing it wrong.

DFU mode then restore with iTunes.

Assuming (Since you havent mentioned it) that you are/need to be "unlocked". Therefore, the problem that your having is that the phone isnt getting activated.

Easiest thing to do is use Pwnage to create a custom unlocked FW file and load it with Itunes. You should also choose it to be already activated.

And if you downloaded the FW file, Pwnage should find it....if your using the newest version of pwnage.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Assuming (Since you havent mentioned it) that you are/need to be "unlocked". Therefore, the problem that your having is that the phone isnt getting activated.

Easiest thing to do is use Pwnage to create a custom unlocked FW file and load it with Itunes. You should also choose it to be already activated.

And if you downloaded the FW file, Pwnage should find it....if your using the newest version of pwnage.

Well it was unlocked before I ran into this. I decided to update, and I followed the steps in the iclarified page.
    Restored it through itunes, and thats where I kept getting error messages while it was "restoring"
    I restored it on the mac.
    Yes you are right, the phone is probably not getting activated. But let me try that.

Yeah, normally the ATT sim and/or Itunes will activate the phone. Doesnt happen when your using another carrier's simcard.

So, you have to "hactivate" it, using Pwnage. Quickpwn should but I have noticed its not real reliable. Pwnage works great though, just make sure to check the "activate" option when using it.

Well in my quest to activate my iphone, I downloaded Pwnage tool for windows and everything is good till it asks me to go into DFU mode. It tells me to press the power button first then the power and home button, then let go of the power button and keep holding the home button for about 30 seconds.
    After 30 seconds it tells me that I'm probably doing it wrong and did not follow the instructions or the there might be a problem with my usb which I know there is not.
    I thought to go into DFU mode was hold power and home button, then let go of the power button and hold the home only for 10 seconds?
    Well I'll keep trtying, maybe I'll throw the iphone against the wall!

DFU Mode: (Your not doing it right)

1. Hold POWER button for 5 seconds.

2. WITHOUT letting go of POWER...now hold HOME button for 10 seconds (BOTH held).

3. Let go of POWER, CONTINUE to hold HOME button until DFU is reached. About 10-15 seconds.

DFU Mode: (Your not doing it right)

1. Hold POWER button for 5 seconds.

2. WITHOUT letting go of POWER...now hold HOME button for 10 seconds (BOTH held).

3. Let go of POWER, CONTINUE to hold HOME button until DFU is reached. About 10-15 seconds.
    Thats exatcly what I'm doing, but for some reason the pwnage tells me to do it another way. It tells me to turn off my iPhone first.

do it my way. If you turn the phone off, you loose connection with pwnage and obviously that wont work.

do it my way. If you turn the phone off, you loose connection with pwnage and obviously that wont work.
    Yes I do it your way but the program wants me to do it the way they instruct. If I leave the phone on it detects that the phone is on and won't go on with the rest of the process.

You got me on that one.........I have never had an issue with it.

Anyone else? jejejejejejeje

Could it be there wire or my USB?

Ok so I decided to use Pwnage tool on the macbook, I followed ALL the instructions and the phone does go into DFU mode, BUT a message comes up saying that I need to disconnect and reconnect my iphone because iTunes has detected the iphone, but pwnage says that the phone was successfully put into DFU mode
    So when I restore it through iTunes, it takes me back to emergency mode.
    Ok so now what?

Ok guys, I FINALLY!!! got it right. What was I doing wrong? Not choosing the IPSW file when I needed to restore. I kept restoring with the same iTunes file.
    I just have 1 thing to tell those looking for a way to get your phone out of emergency mode or "hactivating it" WATCH THE VIDEOS on iClarified they teahc you everything step by step.
    Some people never pay attention to those videos, they're very helpful.
    Thanks to everyone that helped!
    Last edited by g5ive; 2009-02-13 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^Hmmmm, that was the problem. You were using the stock FW file to restore after creating a custom file....LOL.