Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2G iPhone - Jailbreaking Help

Default 2G iPhone - Jailbreaking Help
    My old 2G iPhone had to be swapped at the Genius Bar for a new refurbished 2G iPhone.

I'm having trouble jailbreaking it. I'm running iTunes 8.0.1. I don't know what firmware is on my iPhone. I can't go into Settings and find out, either, because when I turn the iPhone on, the only screen I get is this one: Insert SIM card / Slide for Emergency / Connect to iTunes (pic)

When I tried running QuickPwn, it told me to update to firmware 2.2. I can't do this because iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone (no valid SIM card in there; I have a T-Mobile card inside), so it can't update it for me.

When I run ZiPhone 3.0, I get this screen:

Checking ZiPhone integrity...
    i386
    Searching for iPhone...
    Copying Inga.dat...
    Entering recovery mode.

And it never goes beyond this step. iTunes then opens and tells me it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode, and I need to restore it. I don't get this; ZiPhone worked flawlessly for me before.

Can someone please help?

first things first dont use ziphone

second does itunes recognize your iphone when you plug it in?

do you have mac if so use pwnage tool

I'm on a MacBook.

When I plug my iPhone into iTunes, a message comes up: "The phone “iPhone” cannot be used with iTunes because the SIM card is not installed. You must insert your SIM card into your iPhone in order to activate it.”

I have a T-Mobile card in there.

I'll try Pwnage Tool... does the version I download depend on the firmware I have in my iPhone?

How can I upgrade my firmware when:

1) My iPhone only shows a picture telling me to connect it to my computer, and let iTunes load.
    2) Once iTunes loads, all it wants is a valid SIM card and won't let me do anything until I have an AT&T card inside.

Have you tried putting the phone into DFU mode? http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
    Now connect to iTunes and use a custom firmware made with pwnage tool.
    Last edited by rdragona; 2009-02-11 at 03:51 AM.
    iPad 2 5.1.1 Jailbroken with Absinthe 2.0

if you have osx 10.5.6 use this guide first

1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    3. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices,
    4. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
    5. nstall IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    6. Reboot your system!
    7. Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

origionally posted by poesidon79

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    if you have osx 10.5.6 use this guide first

1. You will need an account with ADC (Apple Developer Connection) this is free and takes a few minutes to sign up, you should read the terms and conditions carefully and you should only sign up if you are thinking of developing applications in the future - Apple Developer Connection - Mac Dev Center
    2. Download the disk image “IOUSBFamily-315.4-log.dmg” for Mac OS X 10.5.5 Build 9F33” (yes, that is a “5” in 10.5.5 - this is a developer debug package of the USB kernel extension).
    3. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices,
    4. Unplug non-vital USB equipment, such as external DVD writers, USB scanners, USB mass storage devices, at the most leave a Keyboard and Mouse connected.
    5. nstall IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg from within the disk image
    6. Reboot your system!
    7. Perform necessary DFU activity with QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

origionally posted by poesidon79
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It worked and now I have my iPhone back!

I'm so happy

Thank you again.

I've got the same problem
    and i hv tried to download that file
    but i dont what to do next could you please
    help me..
    this is the file i have downloaded "IOUSBFamily-327.4.0-log.dmg

just install the package that doesnt have log at the end

your computer will restart and then go ahead and do all your dfu work

i cant open the file
    may be is because i'm using
    window, is there anything i could do??