Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 3G 2.2.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iphone 3G 2.2.1
    Ok guys, so I've been reading different threads for the past hour or so... and I have to say I'm more confused then ever.

I have a jailbroken 3G on 2.2 right now and have an official ATT contract (so no baseband issues, right?)

How do I go about upgrading FW?
    do I go through iTunes then QuickPwn?
    do I backup through iTunes or iPhoneBrowser?
    what's this about not backing up a certain way because you lose 500mb of space?
    do I need to download the 2.2.1 FW for when I Jailbreak?
    is there a way to backup all my Cydya apps?

I'm on a Windows machine, by the way

EDIT:

Figured it out, just did clean restore through iTunes and it upgraded to 2.2.1 and then just QuickPwned. Now I'm just replacing all my /user/library/ info to the phone and reinstalling my Cydya apps
    Last edited by theguy386; 2009-02-08 at 04:22 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone captainjapanicq's Avatar
    Thanks

You can upgrade your FW through itunes.

QuickPwn is used to Jailbreak the FW.

Backup right through iTunes.

You need to upgrade in iTunes to 2.2.1 then Jailbreak using Quickpwn.

Thre is aptBackup in cydia, that backups your Cydia installed app list.
    After jailbreaking your iphone run the restore function in the aptBackup and it should find and restore your app list.

Hey everyone! Ok, I'm a bit confused as to unlocking my 3G iphone. I have it running on 2.2.1 with the 2.30.03 baseband. I am trying to unlock it from this step. Am I out of luck because I already updated to 2.2.1? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2.30.03 is not unlockable yet...

Quote Originally Posted by lucky208 View Post
    Hey everyone! Ok, I'm a bit confused as to unlocking my 3G iphone. I have it running on 2.2.1 with the 2.30.03 baseband. I am trying to unlock it from this step. Am I out of luck because I already updated to 2.2.1? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear that. Many people "accidentally"
    upgrade their iPhones. You cant unlock your iphone with the software. Now you can unlock it only with a sim card that works for 2.2.1 firmware. I had same problem and my only solution was to get an unlock simcard.
    Good luck with your problem and don't upgrade your iPhone without previously knowing what you are up to!

Quote Originally Posted by jason.ri View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Many people "accidentally"
    upgrade their iPhones. You cant unlock your iphone with the software. Now you can unlock it only with a sim card that works for 2.2.1 firmware. I had same problem and my only solution was to get an unlock simcard.
    Good luck with your problem and don't upgrade your iPhone without previously knowing what you are up to!
    ok so how,and were can i get a unlocked sim card?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Look at the post right above yours... there is a link to a site that sells proxy sim chips.

Quote Originally Posted by dejawoo View Post
    2.30.03 is not unlockable yet...
    So , you cant unlock it with Version 2.2.1 (5H11) 2.30.03 , But can it be jailbroken ?

^Yes.

If I am using QuickPwn22-1 , what restore do I use ?
    I tried the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore and it said .........
    The IPSW file you selected (iphone1,2_2.1) does not match the firmware version of your device (iphone1,2_2.2). Please note that QuickPwn does not upgrade your Firmware, it only jailbreaks whatever firmware you currently have on your device.

So am I doing it wrong ?
    Do I need to use a restore of iPhone1,2_2.2_5H11_Restore ?

Thanks

Yes, your doing it wrong.

You have to use the correct FW file like its telling you. Which is the same one thats installed on the phone.

Any idea where I can find that ISPW file ?
    Because the one's I tried (5h11)or (5G77) keep telling me that it doesnt match .

Thanks

I tried the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore and it said .........
    The IPSW file you selected (iphone1,2_2.1) does not match the firmware version of your device (iphone1,2_2.2). Please note that QuickPwn does not upgrade your Firmware, it only jailbreaks whatever firmware you currently have on your device.

So am I doing it wrong ?
    You can't jailbreak a different firmware than the firmware installed on your iPhone 3G. If you are running firmware 2.1 on your iPhone 3G, you will need to restore firmware 2.2 for iPhone 3G from iTunes. Make sure you hold the SHIFT button and press the RESTORE button.

This will restore firmware 2.2 on your iPhone 3G. Once this is done. You can exit from iTunes and proceed to the jailbreaking process using QuickPwn 2.2. Here is a detailed step by step process for jailbreaking & unlocking an iPhone 3G using 2.2 firmware.

Preparation for Jailbreak

1. First, make sure you backup your iPhone data by synchronizing it with iTunes.

2. Download QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 from

http://quickpwn2-2-1.googlecode.com/...kPwn-225-2.zip

3. Download fimrware 2.2 for (iPhone 3G) called iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....7_Restore.ipsw

4. Download both Bootloader v3.9 (bl39.bin) and Bootloader v4.6 (bl46.bin).

BL39.bin - http://www.iphone-hacks.com/download.php?id=131
    BL46.bin - http://www.iphone-hacks.com/download.php?id=132

5. Make sure you save the iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw firmware, unpack QuickPwn-225-2.zip files and bl39.bin and bl46.bin all in the same folder.

Restoring iPhone Firmware 2.2 via iTunes

6. Next, connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable and launch iTunes. Select your iPhone in iTunes.

7. Now hold the SHIFT key and click the “Restore” button. iTunes will launch a file dialog for you to select the firmware file. Locate the “iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw” you have downloaded in previous step and click “Open”.

8. iTunes will then restore your iPhone with firmware 2.1. Keep your iPhone connected, don’t touch it and wait until the process completes.

Jailbreaking with QuickPwn 2.2.5-2

9. Launch QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 to start jailbreak.

10. Ensure you have the iPhone connected and then click blue button to continue.

11. Next, you are required to provide the firmware 2.2 IPSW file. Click “Browse” button to locate iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw.

12. You can then configure the settings for QuickPwn. Only check the boxes for "Add Cydia" and "Add Installer". Leave “Replace boot logo” unchecked. Click blue arrow button to continue.

13. Now, QuickPwn starts to jailbreak your iPhone. It automatically puts the iPhone into recovery mode. After that, you’ll be asked to hold Home button for 5 seconds. Then hold Home and Power buttons together for 10 seconds. Next, release Power button and continue to hold Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode (QuickPwn will prompt you when you’re in DFU mode, just follow what QuickPwn says).

14. Once completed, QuickPwn will let you know the jailbreak process is successful. Your iPhone will be restarted.

15. Congratulations you have sucessfully jailbroken your iPhone.

Unlocking using Dev Team Yellowsn0w

1. Run Cydia and update Cydia essential packages. It should prompt you for this.

2. Install the following in Cydia:

OpenSSH, BossPrefs, BossTools, MobileTerminal

3. Turned off 3G.

4. Added apt9.yellowsn0w.com to Cydia sources.

5. Installed yellowsn0w 0.9.8 in Cydia

6. Turn off WiFi

7. Reboot from BossPrefs

8. Waited until Apple logo appeared and then inserted T-Mobile SIM.

9. Add APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Last edited by reddawg; 2009-02-21 at 10:43 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

Fallguy (2009-02-21), hozay09 (2009-03-15)

Thanks Reddawg , I will give that a try . I wasnt using Itunes to restore I was just using QwickPwn .

Default ......... :(
    so i've already jailbroken 3 ipod touch 2nd gen's using quickfreedom, and 5 iphone 3g's using quickpwn, all of which were on 2.2.1
    but now, i'm trying to help my friend jailbreak her 3g(also on 2.2.1), and whenever quickpwn tries to load the restore.ipsw file, it finds it(iphone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw), but gives the "the IPSW file you selected(iPhone1,2_2.2.1) does not match the firmware version of your device(iPhone1,2_2.1)...

but the problem with that is that she's actually already running 2.2.1(5H11), not 2.1.

so im curious as to whether yall have ever seen this before, or if you have any suggestions as to what she or i could do about it.

thanks.