Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone wanna help a dummy?

Default Anyone wanna help a dummy?
    Hi all! I am new to iphones and this site.

I told my husband I wanted an iphone and he did some "research" and bought me one off ebay (version 1.1.1). We live in Canada and Rogers is the only carrier that the iphone works on. The phone he got me is unlocked and jailbroken (?) and all I did was pop my sim card into it and it works great. However when I plugged it into our computer (Apple OSX 10.4) and itunes didn't recognize it so we had to downgrade itunes to a previous version and now everything is fine.

Now that I've been using the phone for the last month (quite happily) I want to upgrade it so that we can use the newest itunes and that I can access the app store.

Here is where the problem lies, my husband says I cannot upgrade the phone because it will "brick" the phone rendering it useless so I have not touched it. ALSO, the reason he bought me one off ebay and not from Rogers is because the iphone is a older version and this uses the Edge network (not accessible from Rogers) thus we do not need a data package because I use no date at all, I only use wifi (which is totally fine with me).

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the phone to a new (or newer) version without "bricking" it, and without connecting me to rogers data usage and being able to use the newest itunes? If you have step-by-step instructions that would be great because I looked all over this site and all I can come up with is some really technical stuff that leaves me confused.

He loves my phone and wants one now, but is unwilling to get one from rogers, he does not want to pay for data when wifi is fine for me.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

A Fargo.
    Canada

iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow what an awesome letter. I have never seen a more formal letter requesting for help than this one. For that, i am honored to help you. Here is a very helpful place to start -> click me

Since different versions of the iphone requires different attention, the link above tells you what you can and cant do with your iphone and the guide to do it depending on your firmware version found at settings>general>about on your iphone.

Please feel free to ask any more questions if you get confuse following the guides. I will personally keep track of this thread to make sure you get your iphone working without bricking it.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by globefargo View Post
    Hi all! I am new to iphones and this site.

I told my husband I wanted an iphone and he did some "research" and bought me one off ebay (version 1.1.1). We live in Canada and Rogers is the only carrier that the iphone works on. The phone he got me is unlocked and jailbroken (?) and all I did was pop my sim card into it and it works great. However when I plugged it into our computer (Apple OSX 10.4) and itunes didn't recognize it so we had to downgrade itunes to a previous version and now everything is fine.

Now that I've been using the phone for the last month (quite happily) I want to upgrade it so that we can use the newest itunes and that I can access the app store.

Here is where the problem lies, my husband says I cannot upgrade the phone because it will "brick" the phone rendering it useless so I have not touched it. ALSO, the reason he bought me one off ebay and not from Rogers is because the iphone is a older version and this uses the Edge network (not accessible from Rogers) thus we do not need a data package because I use no date at all, I only use wifi (which is totally fine with me).

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the phone to a new (or newer) version without "bricking" it, and without connecting me to rogers data usage and being able to use the newest itunes? If you have step-by-step instructions that would be great because I looked all over this site and all I can come up with is some really technical stuff that leaves me confused.

He loves my phone and wants one now, but is unwilling to get one from rogers, he does not want to pay for data when wifi is fine for me.

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

A Fargo.
    Canada
    I also live in Canada and am with Rogers. I just got my iphone a week or so ago, I got mine through Rogers.

You can have a rogers 3G iphone, or any iphone, and not incurr data charges. Just call rogers and request they put a data block on your account, that's what I have done. My phone still works at home or work (or anywhere else where there's wifi) on the wifi network.

The reps at the store will tell you that you must get a data plan to get the iphone for a deal. They are wrong. Call Customer Relations department, tell them you want an iphone but do not want the data plan. I got my phone for $149, it was used by someone and returned after 2 days. I kept my old plan which I have had for years, $20 a month + access fee, but had to sign a 3 year contract agian to get that price.

You must talk to "Customer Relations" though!

As far as the upgrading, sorry I am just learning all this myself. I am going to jailbreak mine tonight!

hmmmmm, sounds interesting about the data block thing. Thanks 612Rob.

However, seeing that I have a 1.1.1 already (not going to buy a new 3g today) I am going to try and follow the steps you sent calingasan.

So, from what I read, I think I am on the right page. I am jailbroken and unlocked already so all I have to do is follow the steps in the Pwnage 2.x Guide - ModMyi - Wiki link?

Please let me know if I have this right:

Step 1: Sync my phone (to ensure all files and settings are backed up) BUT I do not upgrade yet right?
    Step 2: Download all the files (Pwnage Tool 2.2 & 2.2 iPhone Firmware)(I don't need Boot Loader Files because I am already unlocked and jailbroken)
    Step 3: Open the Pwnage Tool program
    Step 4: follow the directions in the link. I am going to jailbreak it again right? but I am not unlocking it again so I do not need to click the Bootneuter option (because I didn't download it anyway)
    Step 5: follow the rest of the steps and I'm done?

Am I missing/should omit anything?

Thanks again for all your great help!

I am assuming that no response means I must be on the right track. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

---------------------------------

Well I did it (with my husband's help)
    And everything works great! I followed the steps on the upgrading link (some pop ups were a little different than explained) and it took a while but the phone works great. It synced all my contacts and settings and stuff perfectly except all my old aps are gone, I guess they only work on old firmwares.

Now I gotta get used to winterboard(?) and springboard and summerboard & where is smbprefs? (I still don't know how to change my themes and stuff - and what's the difference between installer and cydia?)

Thanks again for making this simple for me! (let me know if anyone has answer to my new challenges!
    Last edited by globefargo; 2009-02-07 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

winterboard is all you need. summerboard & smbprefs are no more. Installer is older and now controlled by the (evil) Rip dev. cydia is all you need. << my 2 cents