Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How To: successfully jailbreak 1.1.4 and run in a STABLE manner.

Default How To: successfully jailbreak 1.1.4 and run in a STABLE manner.
    OK this is about the tenth time Ive restored after multiple screw ups, and general laggyness of different programs. After much trial and error, I have foolproofed an EASY and stable method of jailbreaking, installing and running third party apps. This involves bypassing the standard BSD subsystems that we are all so used to using.
    I had to go through alot of pain and personal anguish in order to achieve the steps that I have described in this thread and I BELIEVE I have found the best way to do this. So read on:

This guide is for ATT legally activated users only. If you are looking for an unlock, keep looking, I dunno how to do that.
    EDIT: I've not unlocked with this methodology, but I'd imagine that in the step below that says "push jailbreak" if you were to hit "do everything" instead, it would work the same. But as I said, I have not tried this, but the theory seems sound.

(restore your phone to factory settings with iTunes before embarking on this walk-through)
    1. update to 1.1.4 through Itunes. By pushing the little button that says update.
    2. Go to http://www.downloadziphone.org/ and download ziphone.
    3. Unzip Ziphone to location that it wants, or a location of your choice. Run the program.
    4. Push the button on the left that says "Jailbreak"
    5. Be patient let the program do its thing.
    6. Now your phone reboots, and you should be staring at your homescreen with the installer application there now.
    7. Open Installer and do the following BEFORE you install ANYTHING.
    8. go to "sources" in the bottom right.
    9. Push "edit" on the top right.
    10. Push "add" on the top left.
    11. type in i.unlock.no (leave the http://) and let it refresh
    12. Go to install
    13. scroll down to "sources"
    14. install all of those 4 sources. Let it refresh again. Make sure the following source is in that list, if not, manually add it: http://apptapp.saurik.com
    15. go to the install main screen and scroll down to "system"
    16. Install "Cydia Pakager" this is a large file and takes some time.
    17. When the little dialogue box opens "READ IT" and do what it says.
    18. Go to the main install screen and tap on "all packages"
    19. Go down to the "F's" (listed alphabetical) and install the program called "Fake BSD Subsystem"
    20. Now, you are free of the pesky, buggy, POS BSD subsystems.
    21. Go online and type in http://iphonebrowser.googlecode.com/...owser.1.52.zip youll get a dialogue box, save the file to disk.
    22. Unpack, install, and run the program.
    23. Hook your iphone up to the computer if not already done. If it was already hooked up when you ran the program, unhook it and plug it back in. the program should refresh. Now, if you are familiar with the iphone file system, you will notice that this is no the correct filing system, and even iphonebrowser raises a brow at it. We will fix that.
    24. Minimize the browser and open installer (not cydia) INSTALLER.
    25. go to bottom left and push install.
    26. scroll down to "unlocking tools" and tap it.
    27. scroll clear to the bottom of the list and tap on "Ziphone ibrickr fix" and install.
    28. Press the home button and let the springboard respring itself. then unlock it.
    29. Reboot the phone. REBOOT IT. turn it off and then back on.
    30. Now go back into the iphonebrowser app on your desktop that you minimized.
    31. vioala....file structures that are familiar. You can close it out now. Just know that if you ever need to get into the file structure of your phone. You can easily do so.
    32. Open Installer, scroll down to "system" and tap, then tap on "Open SSH" and install.

You are now ready to install the apps of your choosing. A few things first:

I REALIZE that I have installed two types of installers. I dont use the cydia installer however, I do believe that it will take the place of app tapp eventually. If you want, you can either play with cydia or you can get rid of it using the Poof program. I just install it to bypass the buggy BSD subsystems.

You should now have no space issues and no more "running low on disk space errors"
    apps seem more stable, and seem generally faster.

This is the most effective, and stable method of prepping your phone for third party apps. Feel free to critique me. Best of luck

Ben
    Last edited by Tackett; 2008-04-25 at 08:12 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tackett For This Useful Post:

Ale_lock (2008-03-21), bhz1 (2008-03-05), Darath (2008-03-06), DiEhArD (2008-03-05), diggie2002 (2008-04-19), iceman3699 (2008-03-08), kakkaroto (2008-03-05), KatetheKitten (2008-03-19), Tomer (2008-03-20), tonydeli7 (2008-03-20)

Wasn't Ziphone recommending RESTORE to 1.1.4 over Upgrade?

I upgraded mine, granted I had alot of difficulty at first and ended up restoring anyway.

But it DID work.

bump for a friend
    Last edited by Tackett; 2008-03-04 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

same here....but it did work....good job

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

glad I could help chief

This is perfect, it seems alot more stable, the only issue im experiencing is that summerboard isnt able to apply themes, no matter what i do i get a default theme.

Edit: never mind, ive got it to work now..... didnt restart phone after installing summerboard.

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by kakkaroto; 2008-03-05 at 03:39 AM.

I'm trying to do your method, however in step 21 this requires using an windows app, I'm using OSX. I have to by pass this part of your guide, will this pose a problem now for me?

Quote Originally Posted by atharee;
    I'm trying to do your method, however in step 21 this requires using an windows app, I'm using OSX. I have to by pass this part of your guide, will this pose a problem now for me?
    I have no clue dude, i know jack about osx.

sorry.

EDIT: didnt know you were talking about the browser.

it doesnt matter, whatever program you use to browse your iphone files will not affect the phones stability.

Quote Originally Posted by kakkaroto;
    This is perfect, it seems alot more stable, the only issue im experiencing is that summerboard isnt able to apply themes, no matter what i do i get a default theme.

Edit: never mind, ive got it to work now..... didnt restart phone after installing summerboard.

THANKS!!!
    Seem like the phone runs a bit faster to you as well?

i dunno if its just my imagination.
    Last edited by Tackett; 2008-03-05 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected];
    Nice job!!!!
    Seem to be working for you as well buddy?

glad.

Can anyone confirm if customize and summerboard will work flawlessly with this upgrade?
    I upgraded before to 1.1.3 then to 1.1.4 and on both firmwares s'board and customize didnt work.
    Just wana know before I dive in again.

Thanks

Damn ... I Like !!

Quote Originally Posted by zabir View Post
    Can anyone confirm if customize and summerboard will work flawlessly with this upgrade?
    I upgraded before to 1.1.3 then to 1.1.4 and on both firmwares s'board and customize didnt work.
    Just wana know before I dive in again.

Thanks
    Summerboard works fine.

customize however....I simply cannot get the thing to work. Somone has PM'ed me with a new method that I havent tried, so I will give that a shot before I throw in the towel. Ill post the process if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackett View Post
    Summerboard works fine.

customize however....I simply cannot get the thing to work. Somone has PM'ed me with a new method that I havent tried, so I will give that a shot before I throw in the towel. Ill post the process if it works.
    did you get it to work as of yet? and your trying on 1.1.14 correct?

no dice with customize on 1.1.4 yet. I know other way smarter people than me are on the case, and if anyone will get if they will.

Whether or not it happens before 1.2 is another story.
    Last edited by Tackett; 2008-04-25 at 08:17 PM.

gotcha, thanks for the quick reply... im use to using ibrickr but how can we load up ringtones now onto the iphone with 1.1.14?

Seems after following your instructions to a "T" there were only 3 sources available and subsequently, fake BSD Subsytem and Open SSH were not available in any of the installer areas.

Yes, I did install all the sources and I did refresh...

hi not sure about this perhaps someone can help me out.
    i have everything working GREAT WRITE UP!!
    in cydia under changes i have the icon that one program has an update but im not sure which one it is. is there any icon on the package that indicates which one it is? reading and scrolling at 3am has my eyes going blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by J-mac View Post
    Seems after following your instructions to a "T" there were only 3 sources available and subsequently, fake BSD Subsytem and Open SSH were not available in any of the installer areas.

Yes, I did install all the sources and I did refresh...
    thats strange.. after the jailbreak when you first start installer it asks to udate, did you do that? i clearly remember getting five sources i actually ignored one (app a day i think)

Quote Originally Posted by vtecnturbo View Post
    hi not sure about this perhaps someone can help me out.
    i have everything working GREAT WRITE UP!!
    in cydia under changes i have the icon that one program has an update but im not sure which one it is. is there any icon on the package that indicates which one it is? reading and scrolling at 3am has my eyes going blurry.
    I get 2 changes when i load it up, when i go into the changes tab there are 2 things under the available updates right at the top......im assuming thats it.

thanks i missed that LoL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast