Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Error 6/ Stuck in Recovery mode/Trying to downgrade

Exclamation Error 6/ Stuck in Recovery mode/Trying to downgrade
    Hi.

Ok guys this is really depressing, as i've spent countless hours ( more like 5 or 6) browsing the internet trying to get rid of this problem.

I have a 2G Iphone that was running a jail broken 2.0.1, But i wanted to downgrade my firmware to 1.1.4 because i have skype and wanted to Fring with my iphoen to make free calls to landliens and mobiles, but Fring isnt out on the 2.0 firmware yet.

I was able to jailbreak using Quickpwn on my 2.0.1 firmware but now after installing itunes 8, and trying to restore because of an error i initially got when using itunes 7.5 (error 20) I was ( still am) I now get (error 6) everytime i attempt to restore 2.0.1.stuck in recovery mode with a little penguin. underneath this penguin reads "IphoneLinux.org". From my research error 20 indicates teh iphone is not in DFU mode. I beg to differ- There i no yellow triangle and there is no itunes icon on my iphone, pure black screen. I think this may have something to do with the error 20 i was getting/stuck in recovery mode/ forced to restore typa thing. And upon restoring it tried to update to 2.1 ( newest i think) and at 25 percent i get the error 6. Now i cant load any firmware onto my iphone using version 8, 7.7, or 7.5 . No wait, in fact, i get a different error if i try to use 1.1.1, which is (error 1600)

I wish I could list all the steps used but trying to find a solutioon to this has drained me of my life force so now i must rest.

My goal is to get 1.1.4 or any other version 1 firmware on my iphone so that i can use fring.

I totally and wholeheartedly regret doing this and wish i could go back to a working Iphone. i have spent many hours browsing the internet, but from what i read a lot of threads remained unanswered to this (error 6). If there is a permanent fix to this ( which ihope so because my iphone is jail broken, and dont have money for Apple to fix it ( granted they would be willing to) then please let me know.

PLEASE. I have honestly searched the internet for a solution but i have no gotten anything.

Thanks.

In my experience, i've never been sucessful downgrading below 2.0. In recovery mode I think you can only install clean/unmodified firmwares. You can find them at iphonefirmwares.com, shift/click the restore button in itunes to install them. If ya want to install a modded/unlocked firmware then the phone has to be in DFU mode.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel359 For This Useful Post:

Donnyten (2008-09-24)

Yea i know. but the thing is i cant even install a factory firmware without gettign error 6 now.

if iu try to revert to 1.1.1 using Itunes 7.6, i just get error 1600,.

thanks. got it to work.

There's no way to downgrade my firmware huh/
    Last edited by Donnyten; 2008-09-23 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You can down grade your firmware from 2.0 to 1.1.4. I have done it twice on iphones I bought from others.

I assume you have the 1.1.4 firmware since you are trying to downgrade. If not Please download it.

Goto Old Version Downloads - OldApps.com and download itunes 7.5 or 7.6. (I used 7.5 and 7.6, different phones at different times)

This is for windowsXP. Mac should be similiar but I did not use my Mac for this.

Completely remove iTunes 8, 7.7 from your computer. Uninstall does not delete all files.
    use the search function to find all itunes related files and delete them also.

Once they are deleted load itunes 7.5 or 7.6

Put your phone in DFU restore mode.
    (Plug your USB into the computer and iPhone. Hold down power button and home button until iTunes tells you it found a phone in restore mode, once again screen should be blank)

Hold Shift key and click Restore, find the 1.1.4 firmware you have and let iTunes perform the restore.

You should get and Error message 1015 or something in that number range. This is OK don't panic. If you get error in the 1600 range then there is a problem.

I used iLiberty+ to kick the phone out of DFU mode. you can use other tools if you choose but I like iLiberty+.

Now use iLiberty+ (I still use old version)to Jailbreak, activate, unlock, install installer (I don't use Cydia)

Now here is the tricky part. Check to see if you have a signal. You may or may not and probably will not. I did not on both my phones I did this to. this is because the 2.0 firmware upgrades the Baseband firmware. you have to put it back.

If you don't have a signal you have 2 options. 1 safer, but depends the other more risky.

If you have pwned you iPhone then try to use bootnueter with neuter, 4.6, unlock.
    If you get and error message this will not work and you have to use the more risky method.

The more Risky method is using a patched version of Ziphone called Kiphone by kIREmk.
    I had to use this solution twice because neither phone I had was pwned.

Downlaod Kiphone
    check Downgrade baseband****
    check Debug boot****
    They must be checked for this to work.

Hit start.

You will see some text scriolling and when it is done you will be back to the baseband that will allow you to get a signal.
    Like I said I have done this twice with no problems.

A little caveat. While running this on the second iPhone I did this process to I accidentally disconnected the phone from the USB. Got all kinds of error messages and text stopped scrolling. then message saying process stopped or something like that. I was sick.

I just reran the restore and iLiberty+ and Kiphone. All is well.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by qnc; 2008-09-23 at 11:11 PM.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Donnyten (2008-09-24)

Alright thanks.

I Attempted this once and reached the DFU mode step. But Itunes 7.5 did not give me any notice that it was in restore mode*

It says something like, "this iphone cannot be used because teh required software isnt installed", or something like that

I will try later with 7.6

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Tried it again with 7.6 and am stuck at the DFU mode process. Getting into DFU mode isnt the problem but itunes doesnt recognize it in restore mode. I just get the normal * usb connect/disconnect" sound.
    Last edited by Donnyten; 2008-09-24 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks

Try powering off the computer and rebooting
    you may have to try a second computer the iTunes install is the key
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Ahh. Didnt work.

I also dont have a second computer. Any other tips?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnyten View Post
    Ahh. Didnt work.

I also dont have a second computer. Any other tips?
    are you getting the same message as before?

Is there another computer you can connect to just to see if the phone is recognized?

if you run iLiberty+ and connect the phone does the status bar on the bottom give any message like dfu mode not connected anything.
    Last edited by qnc; 2008-09-25 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

I didnt know anyone else was having the same problem I am!!! I hate this iphone linux penguin. Same problems exactly as donnyten. Is there a way to COMPLETELY WIPE everything off the iphone without using itunes??? The guy at apple suggested there was but I cant seem to find it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Try this. I've used this guide a few times on a couple of iPhones. I used this using a windows box and a mac. Since your on windows, make sure your unistall iTunes 8 and Apple Mobile device support and then reboot your PC.
    Install iTunes 7.5 and follow the rest of the guide, then unlock with iLiberty+ or winpwn ver 2.0.0.4.
    If you end up using winpwn, one of the issues I had was pwning it and restoring to the custom firmware. I had to restore to the original 1.1.4 fw a second time and restore to the custom fw in restore mode, not DFU.

good luck
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pncntigger For This Useful Post:

scott33 (2008-10-15)

Im def. not the brightest guy when it comes to stuff like this...i reinstalled itunes with 7.5 version but am getting an error when i try to open it to start the restore. It says the file "i Tunes Library.itl" cannot be read bc it was created by a newer version of itunes. Does that mean I didnt delete all the 8.0 files entirely?

nevermind that last post....so i have itunes 7.5 and the error that comes up now is 6. The tutorial you gave me is awesome but has no advice for an error 6
    Last edited by scott33; 2008-10-16 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost