Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading unlocked 2G iphone from 2.0.1 to 2.1 (do not care about jailbreak)

Default Upgrading unlocked 2G iphone from 2.0.1 to 2.1 (do not care about jailbreak)
    Hello all,

I am currently on an unlocked and jailbroke (via Pwnage) 2.0.1 original iphone. I would like to upgrade to the latest 2.1 version of the software, and I don't really care about preserving the jailbreak, but if possible I would like to preserve the unlock.

I did some saerching around, and i found some piecemeal information that has steered me in the right direction, but I just wanted to confirm with the communitiy to make sure I didn't miss anything. I plan on :

1. uninstalling all of the jailbreak apps (syncstep, bossprefs, winterboard, etc)

2. Upgrading (not restore) to the 2.0.2 firmware (I am under the impression that this will retain the unlock and get rid of the jailbreak)

3. Updating iTunes to v8

4. Upgrade to version 2.1.0 (again, i am under the impression that this will retain the unlock)

Are these steps correct? Also, I am unsure about the order of steps 3/4. Thanks for the help!

If your device is pwned then upgrading to 2.1 will remove the jailbreak but it will keep the unlock. You can upgrade to 2.1 and use quickpwn to re-jailbreak the phone in a one step click. Visit blog.iphone-dev.org for the details but to your original questions, the unlock will remain as long as your device was pwned which it should be if its jailbroken and using 2.0.2

thanks for the info. the reason why i thought you needed the intermediate step to 2.0.2 was becuase the new itunes 8 can detect a phone with custom pwned firmware, and it won't let you upgrade. So i was under the impression that first you had to go to the official 2.0.2 sofrware, then upgrade itunes, and then upgrade to the latest 2.1 version