Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is my iphone a brick

Default Is my iphone a brick
    My iphone is 3G, firmware 2.1. I applied a video wallpaper from Winterboard, then the phone was frozen with the spinning wheels for ages. Then I tried to reset the phone by holding "Home" and "Power" button, but the phone just staying at the Apple logo forever. Then I decided to restore the phone through itunes, first it appeared an error number (6) and says the phone cannot be restored. Then, I put the phone in recovery mode and tried to restore again, the phone just stuck at "Waiting for iPhone" stage forever. The iphone's screen appeared the Apple logo and spinning wheel.

I don't know what to do, does anyone have an idea?

Thank you

Place the phone into DFU mode and restore....NOT "recovery mode"....it has to be DFU mode.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Place the phone into DFU mode and restore....NOT "recovery mode"....it has to be DFU mode.
    Can you show me how to put the phone in DFU mode and restore? I tried to hold both "Home" and "Power" for 10 seconds, then released the "Power" button, still holding the "Home" button until the computer recognize the phone, the phone screen's still black. Isn't it the way to put the phone in DFU mode?

Yeah heres what you do, Plug your iPhone in, Hold Home and Power buttons until it turns off... once it turns off keep holding them count till three and let go of the power button but keep holding onto the home button wait untill your computer recognizes it. (your screen should still be black)

This has happened to me atleast 3-4 times already, its not bricked... just a little messed up... restore from DFU to a good firmware and you should be ok! (this is tested with both 2.0.X and 2.1 firmwares.)

Quote Originally Posted by prism2unit View Post
    Yeah heres what you do, Plug your iPhone in, Hold Home and Power buttons until it turns off... once it turns off keep holding them count till three and let go of the power button but keep holding onto the home button wait untill your computer recognizes it. (your screen should still be black)

This has happened to me atleast 3-4 times already, its not bricked... just a little messed up... restore from DFU to a good firmware and you should be ok! (this is tested with both 2.0.X and 2.1 firmwares.)
    I tried, but it still did not work. It still stuck at "Waiting for iPhone" stage.

I also tried to Shift+Restore with another 2.1 firmware I downloaded from the net, still did not work.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me on DFU mode. Fixed it by installing Windows again on a 2nd drive, fresh install of itunes, and worked first time
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Same thing happened to me on DFU mode. Fixed it by installing Windows again on a 2nd drive, fresh install of itunes, and worked first time
    Thank you for your advice. Anyway, I brought the phone to Apple today and they exchange for me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by prism2unit View Post

i have the same problem with mine and sorry im new to this but once i put it in DFU mode and itunes recognizes is do i then hit the restore button in itunes or how do i install the new firmware? thanks in advance