Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SiMpLe Way To UPGRADE to Firmware 2.1 UnLOCKED/JAILBROKEN (windows)

You have three choices.
    You do NOT need the custom FW - you can just restore and jailbrake 2.21 without a problem if you are 100% certain you will only use an O2 SIM in it.

BUT if there is any chance you will want to use another SIM (do you ever go abroad and want to use a local SIM? What if you want to leave O2 at the end of your contract or sell your iPhone when you upgrade?)

If you want to unlock then you can either just jailbrake FW2.2 (that's what I do) or use a custom FW which is a bit of a pain.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    You have three choices.
    You do NOT need the custom FW - you can just restore and jailbrake 2.21 without a problem if you are 100% certain you will only use an O2 SIM in it.

BUT if there is any chance you will want to use another SIM (do you ever go abroad and want to use a local SIM? What if you want to leave O2 at the end of your contract or sell your iPhone when you upgrade?)

If you want to unlock then you can either just jailbrake FW2.2 (that's what I do) or use a custom FW which is a bit of a pain.
    So for just jailbreak, I need to download the original 2.21 firmware, download pwnage 2.2.5 and just follow the instuctions?

I believe you have to upgrade to 2.21 through iTunes which will download it to your computer - then just use pwnage (assuming you have a MAC) and follow the instructions (I have a PC so use quickpwn)
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Been away from this thread for a while. I am now on a 3G iphone and want to jailbreak.

I have firmware 2.2 (have not upgraded to 2.2.1) and I am using AT&T.

Can someone repost the correct CFW link for my phone. Or confirm that its this link:

Thanks

ALSO.....

Going to sell my 2G iPhone.

I used the custom 2G CFW from this thread with the goodies. Does this CFW also unlock? I was on ATT so I never really knew if it did unlock.

Thanks
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi
    I can not restore my iphone. My Itunes opnes a window for me to activate the phone and that is all it will allow me to do. Is there a way to bypass this? Someone told me that I can "hactivate" the phone but I dont know how to do that either. Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

What network SIM do you have? What country are you in? What network is the phone locked to?

I have a local company Cincinnati Bell but the phone has an AT&T sim in it right now. I am in the US and my phone is locked to AT&T

So why not plug your phone in to iTunes and activate it?

because I do not have an AT&T plan. I bought the phone from someone else who left their sim in the phone

Jailbrake using a 2.2 ipsw then useYellowSn0w.
    As you haven't said if you use a MAC or PC it is difficult to give instructions but there are plenty of guides around.

I just restored to 2.2.1/jailbroke/unlocked my iPhone.

I tried to use a T-Mobile sim card to test it.
    The Emergency screen showed up but the upper right corner had a full signal and "T-Mobile" was in the carrier spot. It also said "Different Sim Card Inserted" and iTunes would not recognize the phone.

Now my question is if i try to sell the phone on eBay will ANY AT&T sim card work in the phone?
    OR
    How can i get the T-Mobile sim to work? Because i checked the Unlock box when i jailbroke it with QuickPWN. The BootNeuter was successful and everything. I dont see y the T-Mobile sim didnt work.

I am using MAC. I am trying to jialbreak my phone but it will not let me restore it. When I open itunes ot recognizes my iphone and trys to get me to activate it. I know that I must be missing a step or something but not quite sure what that step is.

Why are you trying to restore in iTunes? Why not just jailbrake?

hmm maybe I'm not quite sure what it means to jailbreak an iphone but I thought that I had to create the 2.2.1 firmware and install it on my iphone when I restore it. IDK how do I jailbreak the phone then?

Are you trying to jailbrake or unlock as well?
    Unlocking allows you to use non approved SIMS, jailbraking allows you to install non approved apps.
    What FW is your phone on?

I really want to unlock my phone. but jailbreaking it would also be nice. How do I figure out what firmware my phone has

If you have a PC quickpwn tells you when you try it - not sure about pwnage as I don't use my MAC

I will look up how to find my firmware. After I know what firmware I have, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Aws3ya View Post
    You need a Network connection to be able to use iTunes to restore. try to restore it again using the custom firmware. I dnt know if you have 3G or 2g iPhone, if you have a 2G restore it to Official firmware 2.2 and then use quicpwn to unlock and jailbreak again, if you are on 3G use the Cfw.
    thanks for the reply, i have a 2G iPhone. so i cant restore via itunes, huh. i was trying to restore using the custom firmware, but when i shift restore, itunes automatically tells me i have to connect to the internet. so is it impossible for me to do it without internet?

You can try using the same cfw I used on my 2G that worked for me. You can download it HERE let us know if that works for you.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast