Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SiMpLe Way To UPGRADE to Firmware 2.1 UnLOCKED/JAILBROKEN (windows)

Hi, I have an Iphone running 1.1.4 on T-Mobile and would really like to upgrade to 2.2. can someone help???

@Radfone,

I had the same firmware as you have when I bought my phone.

Look at page 17, post #246 by Aws3ya.

For cfw 2.2 for classic iphones
    Download his custom firmware file.

Place the cfw on your desktop.
    Download iTunes 8.0.2.20. 65mb
    You can go here
    Install iTunes. And let it see your phone.

After install, the "info" tab settings like Contacts, Calender, Mail Accounts, Web browser should have stayed the same.

Sync your phone one last time before restoring.

"I like to turn of my windows screensaver for things like this. But that's my 2cents"

Now, press and hold the "shift" key on your keyboard and click the "restore" button under the "summary tab" in iTunes.

A window pops up to find the custom firmware on your desktop.

Select iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Custom_Restore_Stable_LotsOfGoo dies.ipsw

Itunes will now extract file and setup your phone for restoring.

Now at this point leave the phone and iTunes alone.

After a few minutes a popup comes up from iTunes saying your phone is ready and will reboot.

Leave your phone alone.

After reboot, iTunes will notice it. But leave iTunes alone too.

Look at your phone. At this point your phone will be flashed twice.

Once by bootneuter and again by I forgot which one. But it will.

After the second flash process. On the phone's screen a popup is saying it's rebooting.

Now it's almost ready.

Go in iTunes it's giving you two options "new" or "restore from backup".

I selected "restore from backup" and let it sync from my LAST previous backup.
    This is only to allow me to keep my basic phone settings the same.
    You can click "new" but I don't know if you have to go through resetting your the edge settings for tmobile and what not.
    Maybe someone else knows about this for sure.

Once it's done restoring from your previous backup.
    iTunes will tell you it's rebooting the phone.

Your phone will reboot and you are done.

Itunes will show your phone is on FW 2.2.

I hope this helps you.

Now, i have a question for anyone who has this happen to them.

When bring up iTunes and it sees my phone. A window comes up asking to update the carrier settings for my phone. Should I allow this? Or cancel it from messing up my phone in some fashion.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me but i guess i didnt as the question correctly.

I have CFW 2.1 on my phone at the moment which i downloaded from your link (works perfect) but i use a piggy back sim (Virgin Sim) but now Yellosn0w is out i have to upgrade to 2.2 with modem 2.28.?? so i was asking rather than go through itunes can i use your CFW to upgrade and it will have the correct firmware and modem ???
    I would prefer this way as i have used it in the passed and feel confident with it.
    so if it has what i am after i assume i down load 2.2 from here then Shift restore and install 2.2 or do i have to go to DFU mode then restore ????

I know i ask a lot but you guys help so much
    well currently i dont think their is a CFW 2.2 with the 2.28.0 baseband floating around this thread. you have to asked these great people on this thread who created for us these CFW to make one. the CFW here were made to prevent you from updating your baseband to 2.28.0 becuz the devteam warned us not to upgrade to baseband 2.28.0 BEFORE.

now if you cant wait for someone to create a CFW 2.2 with the baseband 2.28.0 then upgrade on itunes, then use pwnagetool to jailbreak it. and install yellowsnow via cydia.

yup its more work than installing a CFW. but you have to realize this is the only way ryt now. upgrading on itunes and jailbreaking with pwnagetool is stable. only problem is yellowsnow. it works but since its only been released a few days ago, it has some bugs, that the devteam will definitely fix for us.

peace

Just gotta say This is the best post on this stuff I have found anywhere!!! Thanx everyone!! Jay

^ thank you!

Don't fall for hydengene's site. Post above #308.

This is what you'll get.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pratt1503 View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me but i guess i didnt as the question correctly.

I have CFW 2.1 on my phone at the moment which i downloaded from your link (works perfect) but i use a piggy back sim (Virgin Sim) but now Yellosn0w is out i have to upgrade to 2.2 with modem 2.28.?? so i was asking rather than go through itunes can i use your CFW to upgrade and it will have the correct firmware and modem ???
    I would prefer this way as i have used it in the passed and feel confident with it.
    so if it has what i am after i assume i down load 2.2 from here then Shift restore and install 2.2 or do i have to go to DFU mode then restore ????

I know i ask a lot but you guys help so much
    here you go:

if you want to use Yellowsn0w to unlock your 3G, you cannot use the cfw 2.2 you need to restore to the official 2.2 fw and then quicpwn to jailbreak after that download and install/run yellosno0w to unlock. Also make sure you remove your piggy back sim before restoring to the official fw.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by izzy29 View Post
    @Radfone,

I had the same firmware as you have when I bought my phone.

Look at page 17, post #246 by Aws3ya.

For cfw 2.2 for classic iphones
    Download his custom firmware file.

Place the cfw on your desktop.
    Download iTunes 8.0.2.20. 65mb
    You can go here
    Install iTunes. And let it see your phone.

After install, the "info" tab settings like Contacts, Calender, Mail Accounts, Web browser should have stayed the same.

Sync your phone one last time before restoring.

"I like to turn of my windows screensaver for things like this. But that's my 2cents"

Now, press and hold the "shift" key on your keyboard and click the "restore" button under the "summary tab" in iTunes.

A window pops up to find the custom firmware on your desktop.

Select iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Custom_Restore_Stable_LotsOfGoo dies.ipsw

Itunes will now extract file and setup your phone for restoring.

Now at this point leave the phone and iTunes alone.

After a few minutes a popup comes up from iTunes saying your phone is ready and will reboot.

Leave your phone alone.

After reboot, iTunes will notice it. But leave iTunes alone too.

Look at your phone. At this point your phone will be flashed twice.

Once by bootneuter and again by I forgot which one. But it will.

After the second flash process. On the phone's screen a popup is saying it's rebooting.

Now it's almost ready.

Go in iTunes it's giving you two options "new" or "restore from backup".

I selected "restore from backup" and let it sync from my LAST previous backup.
    This is only to allow me to keep my basic phone settings the same.
    You can click "new" but I don't know if you have to go through resetting your the edge settings for tmobile and what not.
    Maybe someone else knows about this for sure.

Once it's done restoring from your previous backup.
    iTunes will tell you it's rebooting the phone.

Your phone will reboot and you are done.

Itunes will show your phone is on FW 2.2.

I hope this helps you.

Now, i have a question for anyone who has this happen to them.

When bring up iTunes and it sees my phone. A window comes up asking to update the carrier settings for my phone. Should I allow this? Or cancel it from messing up my phone in some fashion.

Thanks in advance.
    hi,

you did not mention your location, but assuming the iPhone was officially being sold in your country and you are on a Telco that released the iPhone it is ok to update carrier settings since it will only add the APN settings on your iPhone so you can enable edge.

But it is also not a critical update if you dont want to update the carrier just cancel it but will just keep getting this annoying pop up every time you connect your iPhone to iTunes.

HTH
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aws3ya For This Useful Post:

nic6 (2009-01-16)

Hello all knowledgeable ones.

I am new and need your help. I am not even sure I am posting this correctly so please don't yell at me.

I am trying to establish if I can proceed with the theone77's technique to upgrade a iphone 2G running on 1.1.1 to 2.1 or even 2.2.

My iphone was upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 using iphone.unlock.no jailbreak method and unlocked using Anysim.

It has been running on 1.1.1 since November 2007 and I feel it is time to take the plunge.

Could the use of Anysim for the old unlock cause problems for me when using this new method?

I still am using itunes 7 for fear that an upgrade would hurt my phone.

Thanks for your assistance and insight!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulettte View Post
    Hello all knowledgeable ones.

I am new and need your help. I am not even sure I am posting this correctly so please don't yell at me.

I am trying to establish if I can proceed with the theone77's technique to upgrade a iphone 2G running on 1.1.1 to 2.1 or even 2.2.

My iphone was upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 using iphone.unlock.no jailbreak method and unlocked using Anysim.

It has been running on 1.1.1 since November 2007 and I feel it is time to take the plunge.

Could the use of Anysim for the old unlock cause problems for me when using this new method?

I still am using itunes 7 for fear that an upgrade would hurt my phone.

Thanks for your assistance and insight!
    Here's what you need to do:

1.Upgrade iTunes to Version 8.0 or higher
    2. Download firmware 2.2 from Apple
    3. Download quickpwn 2.2 (look in this site for links)
    4. Download Bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6
    5. Connect Iphone to iTunes back it up
    6. Restore iPhone to fw 2.2 after the restore iPhone will be locked
    7. Run Quickpwn 2.2 and follow the prompt after final reboot it will be jailbroken and unlocked
    8. Set up iphone as new or restore from back up,
    9. Re sync all your music and videos
    10. you are done

or go the easy way

Down load cfw 2.2 and shift restore with that after the reboot it will be activated-jailbroken and unlocked on custom firmware 2.2 (look for the download links for cfw 2.2 for classic iphones in this thread yup it's here all 21 pages of this thread)

Good luck

oh and to answer your question about anysim conflicting with this new firmware, answer is NO
    Last edited by Aws3ya; 2009-01-22 at 05:16 PM.
    DoNt ForGeT to Say "THanK You" using tHe THANKS ButToN if you found my post helpful

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aws3ya For This Useful Post:

Paulettte (2009-01-24)

Dudes! Caution
    Don't download this cfw
    It says 'lot of goodies' But it is lot bad. Many apps crash in this cfw. Please look for previous pages where my post is answered with a cfw link.. Thats the best actually . I'm going to restore to that back right now.. .Hm!
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks so much!!

I used steps 1 through 10 with great success!!!!

You are awesome!!!!

theone77 thx for the CFW but do you know what it has? installer? cydia? custom boot logos? partition 500mb? locked or unlocked?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    theone77 thx for the CFW but do you know what it has? installer? cydia? custom boot logos? partition 500mb? locked or unlocked?
    Dude,

I answered the same question a few post back

1. Partition is 534 mb min 1Gb max between those numbers can't remember exactly
    2. Cydia only since Installer is buggy
    3. Original or default boot logos
    4. for 2G i posted 2 cfw's for Legit iPhones (AT&T) and for those who wants to unlock

please read back on the threads to get more information as to which cfw is suitable for you

thx for the reply I think, but the one I dl'd was from pg13 post #195 and no where does it give details of what I ask.

are you going to be making a new custom firmware for 2.2.1? I've been waiting for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by session3eleven View Post
    are you going to be making a new custom firmware for 2.2.1? I've been waiting for it

Not much changes with the 2.2.1 upgrade but here you go:

For 3G with out AT&T contract [

and this one for AT&T Tied up units
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 02:59 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Aws3ya For This Useful Post:

darknight_killa (2009-02-03)

sorry --- noob question guys....
    I've upgraded me and my friends' 2g iphone already to custom 2.2 firmware --- my girlfriend is getting an iphone 3g next week from rogers --- should I get the custom 2.2.1 firmware upgrade or stick to 2.2? also if I were to upgrade, which link should I use because I want to use the right package. I don't know the difference between "sim solutions" and the others --- so I'm a little confused

Thanks Alot

Exclamation Upgraded to 2.2 now cydia won't work...help please!!!
    Found solution...Thank you
    Last edited by sr852; 2009-02-05 at 10:45 PM. Reason: new info

Thanks

sr852,

you need to run quicpwn to fix the Cydia crashing issue, you'll need the Official firmware 2.2 and quicpwn 2.2 and lastly boot loaders 3.9 and 4.6 to run quicpwn. I posted a tweaked version of cfw 2.2 with no more Cydia crashing, please search the threads for it.

Quote Originally Posted by darknight_killa View Post
    sorry --- noob question guys....
    I've upgraded me and my friends' 2g iphone already to custom 2.2 firmware --- my girlfriend is getting an iphone 3g next week from rogers --- should I get the custom 2.2.1 firmware upgrade or stick to 2.2? also if I were to upgrade, which link should I use because I want to use the right package. I don't know the difference between "sim solutions" and the others --- so I'm a little confused

Thanks Alot
    why not go all the way and unlock that 3g to use any network provider

Search for yellowsn0w software unlock from this site or my new favorite snego!vik (3 second unlock) but you have to be on firmware 2.2 for this to work, Do not UPGRADE that 3g to 2.2.1.

both unlock works with 2.2 firmware, you need to jailbreak it first with quickpwn then download and run yellowsn0w thru Cydia.

snegovik works with out wifi, depending on your OS (mac or win) download snegovik in your pc, connect iphone 2.2 run quicpwn to jailbreak after the process is done and itunes detected your iPhone run snegovik (dn't blink) it takes 3 secs. only, it will tell you to reboot at that's it remove the Rogers or AT&T simcard put Tmobile and you'll be surprised it is unlocked already.

Good luck...
    Last edited by Aws3ya; 2009-02-04 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[quote=Aws3ya;3255621]Not much changes with the 2.2.1 upgrade but here you go:

For 3G with out AT&T contract
    and this one for AT&T Tied up units

Do you have the 2.2.1 for 2G?

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2010-01-09 at 02:59 PM.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast