Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any way to restore 2.1 when running jailbroken 2.1 without losing apps?

Default Any way to restore 2.1 when running jailbroken 2.1 without losing apps?
    I'm running 2.1 jailbroken on a Windows PC. Somewhere in the process, I lost bootlogos and now I don't have one. Is there a way for me to restore from to a custom 2.1 firmware with a boot logo without losing all my apps and media?

Also, I'm using AT&T, so any custom firmware would have to facilitate AT&T instead of unlocking.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope. Need to restore.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Well, if I put all my application and media files in folders on my PC and then SSH them back, will they work?

Media files, you'll be ok (however all that should also be syncable with itunes). But I really wouldnt try "patching" apps into the phone. It might work, or you'll have major issues.

You actually can in a way restore the phone and not lose your apps. I just upgraded my 1st Gen Iphone 16gig to 2.1 using the custom FW for AT&T. I was amazed how easy it was and worked flawless. Anyway there is an app in cydia called APTBACKUP. Install that program first before you upgrade. Then in the APTBACKUP program click backup and it will make a list off all the apps installed. Connect it to itunes 8 and synchronize it. It should then backup those apps using itunes so when you restore from the backup after upgrading, it will install those apps back. It worked without a problem when i did it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockafella For This Useful Post:

PhantomPhoenix (2008-09-20)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
    You actually can in a way restore the phone and not lose your apps. I just upgraded my 1st Gen Iphone 16gig to 2.1 using the custom FW for AT&T. I was amazed how easy it was and worked flawless. Anyway there is an app in cydia called APTBACKUP. Install that program first before you upgrade. Then in the APTBACKUP program click backup and it will make a list off all the apps installed. Connect it to itunes 8 and synchronize it. It should then backup those apps using itunes so when you restore from the backup after upgrading, it will install those apps back. It worked without a problem when i did it.

Looks promising.. thank you Nelson Rockfella!

May I ask where you got that custom firmware?

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

Do exactly this.
    1 - upgrade to itunes 8
    2 - connect iphone to computer
    3 - Press the shift button and hold it. Then click the restore button. An explorer window will pop up and ask you for the file. Browse to the file and select it for restoring.
    4 - it will take a minute but i will get done with the custom PWNAGE boot logo.

Do this after you have downloaded and backed up using APTBACKUP.
    1 - Download APTBACKUP from cydia
    2 - Run APTBACKUP and press the backup button
    3 - Connect iphone to computer and run itunes 8
    4 - Do a sync with itunes and apps should be backed up on itunes

DO THIS STEP FIRST THEN PROCEED TO THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST AND DO THE REST

Well let me know if it works out