Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak (Windows) - [Guide]

Thanks

Default iPhone 2.1 Jailbreak (Windows) - [Guide]
    Hey guys was going back and forth about jailbreaking my iPhone since I got it on Tues. Well QuickPWN crashed on me before, so I decided to upgrade to 2.1. Well now we can jailbreak 2.1 on Windows too, not just those Mac boys.

UPDATE
    The new GUI version of QuickPWN is out. Instead of using this guide, just download and run normally.
    Jailbreak iPhone 2.1 GUI Version | QuickPWN

Note: I will leave the old directions here just in case someone wants to refer to them, but they should not be used now that quickpwn is released.
    These directions were taken from the QuickPWN site, but I've retyped them here so we have a permanent guide here as well.

Jailbreaking iPhone 2.1 in Windows

Downloads
    1. iTunes 8
    2. iTunes 7.7.*
    3. iPhone 2.1 Firmware - [1st Gen iphone] - [2nd Gen iPhone (aka 3G)]
    4. QuickPWN for 2.1 jailbreak - [Mirror 1] - [Mirror 2]
    5. DiskAid
    6. New MobileInstallation file

Jailbreaking Steps
    1. Open iTunes 8, and update to iPhone firmware 2.1.

2. After you're upgraded to firmware 2.1, uninstall iTunes 8.0, and install iTunes 7.7.* (remember to reboot after the uninstall of 8.0, before installing 7.7).

3. Run the QuickPWN-GUI.exe file and browse to select your iPhone 2.1 firmware.

4. Follow the on-screen steps, choose Installer and Cydia.
    This will bring up a command terminal that will guide you through the actual jailbreak process. It takes a few minutes, but its not complicated.

5. Once finished, your iPhone will reboot, but Installer and Cydia won't be visible.

6. Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and launch the DiskAID program.

7. When the DiskAid screen launches, you'll see a drop-down box on the bottom left that says "Media Folder". Click on it, and select "Root Folder" instead.

8. You'll get a Root Partition message, just click ok!

9. On the left side, scroll down and click the System folder. Navigate to /Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework

10. Select the MobileInstallation file, and click "Delete from Device".

11. In DiskAid, click "Copy File to Device", and select the MobileInstallation file you downloaded.

12. After you've copied the MobileInstallation file navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches and delete the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist

13. Now reboot your iPhone and you should see a jailbreaken iPhone 2.1! Enjoy.
    Last edited by aclark; 2008-09-19 at 10:59 PM.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to aclark For This Useful Post:

E.T.homeIphone (2008-09-18), ej257gd (2008-09-16), ericidle (2008-09-18), fizzin (2008-09-19), gadgetguru (2008-09-17), gman8966 (2008-09-19), Home Skillet (2008-09-18), Ice9812 (2008-09-18), jackynguyen (2008-09-17), mike_carter1 (2008-09-17), msims10 (2008-09-18), Piazza331 (2008-09-18), porktart (2008-09-17), spintek (2008-09-19), t-baum (2008-09-16), VampireV (2008-09-18)

Thanks

Did you get custom logos with this? I did this method and it jailbrok the iPhone 3G just fine but left blank screens instead of boot logo.

Thanks

i have the normal all boot logo cause i unchecked the replace boot logo option. I dont think its functional in this version because the use of the terminal to jailbreak the phone, which is basically another program written to override the original quickpwn software.

I didn't have to uninstall itunes 8 and downgrade to itunes 7.7. i went straight to quickpwn and was able to successfully jailbreak my 2.1 iphone 3G

HOWEVER.... i can't guarantee this will work for you... but it did for me.

Thanks

good to know, maybe we can get some others to confirm. its seems also that you can upgrade back to 8.0 after you have finished the jailbreak process without any problems.

Custom sebgonz sig.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't downgrade...went straight to quickPWN worked flawless.

Is there anyway not to loose any programs and files when you do this upgrade, like using the pwnage on the mac?

This works without uninstalling itunes 8.0 (on vista)

I did everything on here except killing itunes 8.....everything worked until I deleted the files in disk aid...now I can't get the phone to turn on. Any ideas?
    MG

Hey this worked like a charm! Except now I have one problem. When the phone rebooted the app store icon was gone! Any ideas?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi,
    I want to try this..but i just have a couple questions before i do it..

what does deleting the MobileInstallation file and copying the new one in do?

What does deleting com.apple.mobile.installation.plist file do?

What would happen if i dont do those two steps?

The only reason i am asking is because i never had to do this before and i just want to be familiar with why it has to be done

Thank you
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button

I'm having major problems. In the middle of doing this, my iphone stopped being recognized. I seemed to have been able to install the apple mobile device driver but it is corrupt and it stays corrupt no matter how many times i uninstall itunes and reinstall. the iphone wont charge on the computer and wont be noticed by itunes. It wont even stay in device manager for more than a minunte or two. I even restored the apple mobile service folder back to a month ago when i know my iphone was being recognized.

any help would be appreciated. this happened when i guess i failed the first attempt at quickpwning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sseadoubleyou View Post
    Hey this worked like a charm! Except now I have one problem. When the phone rebooted the app store icon was gone! Any ideas?
    that is because you kept the "custom boot logo" checked. there is a bug in quickpwn that if you choose to update the logo, it leaves it blank. if you unchecked that checkbox in quickpwn, you would retain the apple boot logo.

i made the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by mgigs View Post
    I did everything on here except killing itunes 8.....everything worked until I deleted the files in disk aid...now I can't get the phone to turn on. Any ideas?
    MG
    whats going on when you boot it up? does it stay on the bootscreen for a while and then you see a "flash" where it reboots itself? do you have a lot of applications?
    Last edited by sye46; 2008-09-16 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by italia_xtreme View Post
    Is there anyway not to loose any programs and files when you do this upgrade, like using the pwnage on the mac?
    I didnt lose any files, although i went from virginized iphone to a jailbreak. dont know if you lose install/cydia apps and files.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice9812 View Post
    Hi,
    I want to try this..but i just have a couple questions before i do it..

what does deleting the MobileInstallation file and copying the new one in do?

What does deleting com.apple.mobile.installation.plist file do?

What would happen if i dont do those two steps?

The only reason i am asking is because i never had to do this before and i just want to be familiar with why it has to be done

Thank you
    Not 100% sure what the mobile installation file is.
    As for the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist i believe it has something to do with the icons that are displayed for the apps that have been installed on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by xJoo Unitx View Post
    I'm having major problems. In the middle of doing this, my iphone stopped being recognized. I seemed to have been able to install the apple mobile device driver but it is corrupt and it stays corrupt no matter how many times i uninstall itunes and reinstall. the iphone wont charge on the computer and wont be noticed by itunes. It wont even stay in device manager for more than a minunte or two. I even restored the apple mobile service folder back to a month ago when i know my iphone was being recognized.

any help would be appreciated. this happened when i guess i failed the first attempt at quickpwning.
    Have you tried going into DFU mode and restoring the original 2.1 (or earlier firmware)?

Custom sebgonz sig.

Thanks

try going into add delete programs and uninstalling apple mobile device ( I'm upstairs on my iPhone and forget the exact name) when you uninstall iTunes. Then try and reinstall iTunes.

Default it works
    thanks everybody, it works perfect it was my very first time jailbraking
    i had 2.1 firmware with itunes 8.0 works!!!!!

This did not work for me...xp pro w/itunes8...I did everything as written (unchecked the "change boot logo") but when the phone rebooted it was stuck on the apple logo...no amount of reboots to the phone would make it go further...I'm in the process of doing a restore... Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the tips, worked flawless on Vista 64bit without having to downgrade itunes..

Thanks

Will this keep all of my apps, music, pics, cydia apps, etc? Thanks for advice. This site is awesome.

I had success with this method at the second time of trying. At first I didnt delete the com.apple.mobile.installation.plist and the iphone froze when booting up, iTunes would not recognise the iphone and eventually after trying to get back to 2.1, I nearly bricked the phone and had the most trouble I've ever had with my iphone. Eventually I got sorted.

My fix:
    Flashed stock firmware 2.02 on a 7.7 Itunes machine (yes I have 2 pc's )
    Used quickpwn build 150 to quickpwn, jailbreak and unlock 2.02

Upgraded to 2.1 on my itunes 8 machine, this retained jailbreak and unlock

ran "quickpwniphone2.1" on my Itunes 7.7 machine this time "deselecting everything but install cydia" and deleting com.apple.mobile.installation.plist and replacing MobileInstallation.framework

My iphone is now working great and cydia installs just fine, almost feels as smooth as when it came out the box at 1.1.4

The reason it asks you to use ITunes 7.7 is the applemobiledevice.dll file was upgraded in iTunes 8 and this is what detects jailbreaking attempts and leads to error 1600 and error 6

In my experience it seems you dont see these errors if you use the stock files like 2.02 (which can be jailbroken in windows) and update through itunes8 to 2.1

When I tried to use "quickpwniphone2.1" on my Itunes 8 machine it detected applemobiledevice.dll as a fault and did not run to completion properly, perhaps if you only install cydia it will work but if you try to jailbreak or unlock it will not under iTunes 8

Using "quickpwniphone2.1" under itunes 7.7 did bring up any error reports in the script and ran to completion

I hope this helps some of you with problems
    Last edited by ericidle; 2008-09-18 at 06:34 PM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast