Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how did at&t find out?

Post how did at&t find out?
    well, last month, i jailbroke and unlocked my 2nd generation iphone with pwnage. My dad received the phone bill yesterday, and at&t charged 164 dollars for internet express even though i use wifi. how did they find out? my dad already called them to ask if it was a mistake, but it wasn’t. What can i do so I can use the internet on my iphone without them finding out and charging money? anyone else who used pwnage to unlock and jailbreak their iphone have this problem?

So you don't have an unlimited data plan with ATT?
    Keeper of teh m0nkeyman - www.Lightloch.com
    "For the sake of KITTENS man... leave me alone pleez!"

no, i don't have an unlimited plan with at&t

If your Iphone is activated, or course they know....its speaking to "their" network constantly. They will even know what kind of phone your using (aka iphone) as the IMEI is sent to them.

The only way for you to use the Iphone without AT&T knowing....dont use AT&T.

Its also because they "require" the iphone data plan for using an Iphone, eventually they will notify you that if you dont add the plan, they will or block you from any data service at all.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gummychoco View Post
    well, last month, i jailbroke and unlocked my 2nd generation iphone with pwnage. My dad received the phone bill yesterday, and at&t charged 164 dollars for internet express even though i use wifi. how did they find out? my dad already called them to ask if it was a mistake, but it wasn’t. What can i do so I can use the internet on my iphone without them finding out and charging money? anyone else who used pwnage to unlock and jailbreak their iphone have this problem?
    Just to make sure you FULLY understand this, AT&T doesn't charge AT ALL for the wi-fi use. They charge for your 3G service. I believe that with BossPrefs (which you can download from Cydia) has both an Egde and 3G toggle. So that you can turn off those to make sure that you don't use them.

Note: Even tho you have the 3G iPhone you need to disable Edge too because its my understanding that it uses it too.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SharpieBandit For This Useful Post:

lili4311 (2009-07-26)

so if i were to have t-moblie for example, they would never have found out?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes if you were using T-mobile, AT&T wouldn't have the faintest idea that you were using an iPhone.

You CAN keep AT&T if you want, by doing what my post says.
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 2008-09-14 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

hey, so i downloaded bossprefs. so what does this app do? does it block the internet on the iphone? i don't really understand?