Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Best practices" to restore previous customizations after jailbreak firmware update?

Question "Best practices" to restore previous customizations after jailbreak firmware update?
    Hello,
    Shorter version of the question: What are the "best practices" for restoring previous Cydia/Installer applications, settings, order of springboard icons, and other customizations after jailbreaking to a new version of firmware (say from jailbroken 2.0.1 to jailbroken 2.0.2, or 2.0.2 to the forthcoming 2.1)? Must it be done manually? Does the iTunes "Restore from the backup of" feature restore those types of items?

Longer version of the question: I've had my first generation iPhone for about a month. I immediately jailbroke it to firmware 2.0.1 and unlocked it to work with a T-Mobile SIM. Since getting the phone, I've been lurking on various iPhone forums. Restoring contacts, calendar, photos, and App Store applications is easy since those can be re-synchronized intuitively from iTunes. But what about Cydia/Installer apps and/or other minor customizations, like the BossPref setting to change the battery to a number, and the order of icons on the springboard? Would all those items have to be manually reestablished/reinstalled? That would be annoying since there is no way I would remember every single little change I made. Hopefully I've just completely missed an obvious and easy way to restore those customizations.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Hit the restore button
    You have to redo all of the jailbreak stuff unfortunately.
    Make sure to set up as a new phone though!

Anything that doesnt have Apple's seal of approval (cant be backed up in Itunes) has to be re-done manually ever time. I know, boo.

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Hit the restore button
    You have to redo all of the jailbreak stuff unfortunately.
    Make sure to set up as a new phone though!
    You beat me by 2 seconds.
    Last edited by cpjr; 2008-09-11 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I keep all my themes backed up to folders on my desktop. I save the preference files with my weather, phone favorites, you tube bookmarks on the desktop, I sync my contacts, and bookmarks almong with my music and videos in iTunes.

I restore in iTunes and jailbreak with the appropriate method for that particular firmware. Reinstall the apps. Then I copy my themes, preferences back to my iPhone via WinSCP and sync everything else back on.