Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how risky is it to upgrade from 1.1.4 to the latest firmware?

Default how risky is it to upgrade from 1.1.4 to the latest firmware?
    i bought an unlocked jailbroken iphone 2g running firmware 1.1.4 from a store in hong kong a few months back

it has worked perfectly for me so far but i am tempted to upgrade to the latest firmware to be able to use the app store

i dont need unofficial apps but i need my phone unlocked to use various sim cards as i am currently travelling around the world

i will have to do the upgrade in a net cafe on some random windows machine - most likely running xp

i have read of various problems on these forums - and i cannot afford to be left with a non-functioning phone

is there a foolproof way of doing this yet?

or is there likely to be in the near future?

thanks

Whatever you decide to do, make it fast because if the rumors are true, 2.1 firmware should be coming in today. If you can have a copy of the 2.0.2 firmware and use winpwn to jailbreak your phone. Go to blog.iphone-dev.org for the winpwn (pc) or pwnage tool (mac) Then follow the instructions on how to create a custom firmware and restore your phone with the latest firmware and you will have a jailbroken, activated and unlocked iphone (1st gen) along with cydia, installer and the app store. If you need more details, let me know and I will provide the tutorial (mac version) step by step.

I had doubts about the upgrade aswell, bu I finally upgraded to 2.0.1 and it works like a charm. Upgrade through WinPWN and your good, if you have any questions contact me and I'll help you out.

winpwn 2.5 works verywell. however dont believe you will get itunes on a net cafe system.

only thing 114 doesnt have over 2.0 are app store apps. not sure this is worth upgrading for at moment. most app store apps are very lame.
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,

I'm in the same boat.

I've got an unlocked/jailbroken 2g iPhone running v1.1.4 on AT&T (not officially activated, as I refuse to sign a 2 year contract for a used phone) and I am wanting to switch to firmware v2.0.2.

I finally got my mitts on itunes 7.7.1, quickpwn, the bootloaders, etc. However - since my phone is not official if it gets bricked I am out too much money to get a replacement.

So here is my inquiry:
    What proceedure do I follow to get my phone unlocked and running 2.0.2?
    The QuickPwn Guide says the phone needs to already have the updated firmware before running QuickPwn and jailbreaking it.
    I can use ZiPhone 3.0 fairly easily to activate/unlock/jailbreak my iPhone on 1.1.4, but I cannot upgrade to 2.0.2 with it activated (not unlocked/jailbroken) through ZiPhone. I tried the iTunes shift+restore->select firmware method to upgrade to 2.0.2, but I got error 6. Any suggestions? I assume that error is from the phone being non-factory - but I cant upgrade it until it is activated which means non-factory. I hate Apple and AT&T both.