Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did bossprefs kill my edge/3g?

Default Did bossprefs kill my edge/3g?
    I've got a 3g iphone that was running pwnd 2.02 very smoothly until yesterday. I occasionally used bossprefs to disable 3g with no trouble, but yesterday, for reasons I can't even remember I also disabled edge and now it does not seem possible to get edge working again (or 3g obviously). Every network operation I attempt using edge/3g now fails. Wifi is fine. I am using newest bossprefs 2.12b off of cydia and have nothing unusual about my jailbroken att 3g iphone. I've been doing various permutations of the following to troubleshoot:

-leaving 3g disabled and am focusing on just getting edge working again.
    -I have reinstalled bossprefs a few times.
    -I have rebooted the phone + fixed dir permissions through bossprefs after toggling off/on both the old edge toggle and the new edge toggle.
    -The old toggle will typically give me a "cannot access cellular data network" when I toggle it off and then back on, but not always. Sometimes I get no error, but the switch stays 'off', yet an ip address shows up. Sometimes the switch goes on, but the ip remains NA. other times I get the error message but the switch goes on and I get an ip. Very odd.
    -The new toggle always looks like it worked ok, but I have not been able to get any data over edge/3g since this began. Safari will Not give me the 'not connected to internet' message, it will simply spin until it times out.

I am planning to simply restore and save myself some pain, but I am curious how this happened and if there are some more concrete methods to debug it. Is there anything I can ssh in to take a look at?

The only other variable in this whole thing that I can think of is the fact that I sometimes enabled a basic pptp vpn connection. I only mention this because after disabling or disconnecting from the vpn connection things would sometimes get a little squirrelly with my 3g/edge connection and I would just enable/disable airplane mode to fix it. I don't know if its related at all but the symptoms were vaguely similar. I also have heard that 'profiles' can be used to enable or disable edge as well as configure vpns, so maybe something is going on in that area?I don't really know much about it.

Anyway, I'll try some things out if anyone has some suggestions, but I'll be restoring fairly soon.
    Last edited by mudlark; 2008-09-03 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarification

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudlark For This Useful Post:

fatsnake (2009-03-19)

Thanks

Check what your toggles are set for in teh stock iPhone Settings app. I have occasionally had those go out of sync wiht the toggles in Boss Prefs. make sure that Edge/3G is tolggled on in Settings, tehn in BossPrefs make sure New Edge Toggle is set to "off and that Edge is set to "on". Then so a full power off/on reboot.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

fatsnake (2009-03-19)

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Check what your toggles are set for in teh stock iPhone Settings app. I have occasionally had those go out of sync wiht the toggles in Boss Prefs. make sure that Edge/3G is tolggled on in Settings, tehn in BossPrefs make sure New Edge Toggle is set to "off and that Edge is set to "on". Then so a full power off/on reboot.
    I'm pretty sure that at one point or another that step was tried and I did use the stock settings at several points too. I can't confirm whether your exact directions would have fixed it or not because I began the process of restoring with a custom firmware already...

I am at work however and only brought from home the custom ipsw thinking that I could use my itunes here to restore it in dfu mode. I got 1602 errors though which I think indicates that itunes is unwilling to restore this firmware. (meaning my itunes needs to be pwnd?) To do this though I would need to go through the entire winpwn process which includes creating the custom fw (which I have handy) from the original fw file (which I do not have and would take several hours to download on our crappy connection). So I was not able to restore using my custom firmware and I powered the iphone back on from dfu mode to try your suggestion only to find that 3g and edge suddenly work again. I'm not sure whether entering dfu mode is what helped. Maybe I just happened to luck out and finally perform the correct sequence of toggles right before I entered dfu mode and a regular reboot would have worked. The last thing I tried was deleting my vpn connection right before restoring, but I didn't check it after a power cycle... Could be coincidence, but the vpn relationship is a little suspicious to me still.

Either way I am happy not to have to restore, but irritated that I have no concrete answers. Suffice to say, bossprefs did not kill my edge/3g access but something certainly wounded it for the greater part of the day

I'm actually halfway tempted to try and reproduce it now that I know its recoverable...
    Last edited by mudlark; 2008-09-03 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarification

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudlark For This Useful Post:

fatsnake (2009-03-19)

Thanks

I think what happened is that perhaps when you powered on from dfu mode (which I'm not sure you can do if you were truly in dfu mode but not positive here) is essentially perform what I had suggested with the hard reboot where you need to hold the power and home buttons together until the phone turns off and then on again. That practice in itself often fixes a number of issues.

At any rate glad you are up and running.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

fatsnake (2009-03-19)

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I think what happened is that perhaps when you powered on from dfu mode (which I'm not sure you can do if you were truly in dfu mode but not positive here) is essentially perform what I had suggested with the hard reboot where you need to hold the power and home buttons together until the phone turns off and then on again. That practice in itself often fixes a number of issues.

At any rate glad you are up and running.
    You are probably right. I was mainly rebooting through bossprefs in between toggles instead of properly turning off the power. If the edge chip or something else actually needed a real physical power cycle that wouldn't have done it. I did do some hard power cycling once or twice earlier in my troubleshooting but probably not after performing the correct steps (I didn't really understand what the different edge toggles were). I'll come back and post confirmation if i get it to happen again and can fix it in the way you suggest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudlark For This Useful Post:

fatsnake (2009-03-19)