Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4 reasons why I won't upgrade to 1.1.3

Smile 4 reasons why I won't upgrade to 1.1.3
    OK here are four reasons why I won't upgrade my 112 (originally 102) to 113:-

1) http://www.hackthatphone.com/index_113.html doesn't recommend it 1.1.3 firmware really doesn't offer very much to the typical end user (especially considering since we aren't benefitting from the new baseband). Because of this, I don't see a point in upgrading. In fact, if you read the Featured page on the Installer it states "It is recommended that only developers upgrade their iPhone/iPod Touch to 1.1.3 at this time." There are lots of issues, and many things don't work in 1.1.3. With the Apple SDK coming in February (and a new firmware release most likely) it's my position that it's best to wait.

2) all the easy upgrade methods are for OTB 112 and 113 (at one point even thought of buying a new 16GB), and my recent post for an easy upgrade method got one reply referring me to another link which isn't that easy.

3) there isn't a ZiPhone Windows GUI for 111 and 112 firmware (except for OTB)

4) i'm waiting for 1.1.4

5) i'm over 40 and don't like to take risks

Buzz

Thanks

Haha...

1. Do you always live your life on what other people advise? I for one love the fact that I don't need Customize anymore to move my icons around, the 1.1.3 method is far superior.

2. ZiPhone (nuff said) there is nothing easier.

3. Use the command line, its a couple of extra steps, no biggie.

4. Why wait for 1.1.4? Why not 1.1.5 or 1.1.6? Updates come out for a reason, they make your product better. (Unless you're using Windoze)

5. No comment
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Buzz (2008-02-21)

Default 4 reasons why you should upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    OK here are four reasons why I won't upgrade my 112 (originally 102) to 113:-

1) http://www.hackthatphone.com/index_113.html doesn't recommend it 1.1.3 firmware really doesn't offer very much to the typical end user (especially considering since we aren't benefitting from the new baseband). Because of this, I don't see a point in upgrading. In fact, if you read the Featured page on the Installer it states "It is recommended that only developers upgrade their iPhone/iPod Touch to 1.1.3 at this time." There are lots of issues, and many things don't work in 1.1.3. With the Apple SDK coming in February (and a new firmware release most likely) it's my position that it's best to wait.

>> Sure, thats what it says, they also write that you should donate to them, do you? And you want to know the benefit, well besides the stated benefits from apple, which arent spectacular, but make the iphone better. You will also be ready for the next set of apps for 1.3 and will be ready for crack your phone open for 1.4 instead of having to go back a month from now and be like, how do you upgrade to 1.3 again?

2) all the easy upgrade methods are for OTB 112 and 113 (at one point even thought of buying a new 16GB), and my recent post for an easy upgrade method got one reply referring me to another link which isn't that easy.

>> Besides maybe the last 2 updates, all hacks have been not "DIFFICULT" but time consuming. If you were here from the beginning its VERY safe and easy now.

3) there isn't a ZiPhone Windows GUI for 111 and 112 firmware (except for OTB)

>> read above.

4) i'm waiting for 1.1.4

>> you think theyre gonna make the 1.4 hack any easier? And more than likely you will need a hacked 1.3 to hack your 1.4

5) i'm over 40 and don't like to take risks

>> its all about the risk, learning from your mistakes (learning from my 40 plus hours of figuring out why my iphone wasnt jailbreaking) and improving then sharing what you've learned.

Buzz
    The only really good reason perhaps is if you REALLY like all the neat apps and want to wait till they are fully functional on 1.1.3. But even then you will have to upgrade to 1.1.3 then. Why wait?

it's funny because you'll eventually upgrade to 1.1.3

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Come on now, 1.1.3 is nothing to jump for joy over & for some a pain in the &@$# to upgrade plus the added mobile user & permission changes causing more problems for apps. I personally think 1.1.2 was very solid & complete when it comes to 3rd party apps & support.

i upgraded from 1.1.1 jailbroken unlocked to 1.1.3 using ziphone 2.2 and everything went smoothly and everything worked fine, but, nearly all my old apps wouldnt work, sure, the icon wiggle thing is nice and the locate me thingy is a neat trick but i was still dissapointed with it so i took the plunge and downgraded to 1.1.1 again using ziphone method to jailbreak/unlock and now i have all my old apps back and everything customized exactly the way it was. I will wait a while before going back to 1.1.3, been there,done that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to philbee For This Useful Post:

Krell (2008-02-20)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand your concern for risk, as i did not want to brick my 1.0.2->1.1.1 iPhone (4G) BL 3.9. However, with the Ziphone software debut, I did it last Sunday, and I glad I did. Not only did I get the upgraded utilities, but my iPhone works so much better. It's faster and the WiFi disengages when I do not use it. Goggle maps finds me when I am lost and I can move the icons around (cool!). I love it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to madrich For This Useful Post:

Krell (2008-02-20)

Thanks

ziphone still works on NON OTB 112/113 phones....like mine.

Cmon guys, stop tempting me...I'm old but I can still get excited. Yes I'd hate to lose some of my apps, and no it wasn't clear to me that we can use ziphone to upgrade my 102/111/112 BL 3.9 to 113 with ziphone. Would you mind directing me to a clear guide for this (using Wondoze ), and any idea how much time it takes. Cheers, Buzz.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzz For This Useful Post:

Krell (2008-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Cmon guys, stop tempting me...I'm old but I can still get excited. Yes I'd hate to lose some of my apps, and no it wasn't clear to me that we can use ziphone to upgrade my 102/111/112 BL 3.9 to 113 with ziphone. Would you mind directing me to a clear guide for this (using Wondoze ), and any idea how much time it takes. Cheers, Buzz.
    There really is no "guide" to follow.

1. Plug your Phone in
    2. Run the ZiPhone GUI.
    3. Gasp, there's no step three!

Quote Originally Posted by philbee View Post
    i upgraded from 1.1.1 jailbroken unlocked to 1.1.3 using ziphone 2.2 and everything went smoothly and everything worked fine, but, nearly all my old apps wouldnt work, sure, the icon wiggle thing is nice and the locate me thingy is a neat trick but i was still dissapointed with it so i took the plunge and downgraded to 1.1.1 again using ziphone method to jailbreak/unlock and now i have all my old apps back and everything customized exactly the way it was. I will wait a while before going back to 1.1.3, been there,done that.
    What you have to remember is that your Apps are not run as root anymore, they're run as the user "mobile". You simply need to SSH or WinSCP into your phone and assign 755 permissions to the Apps. People make such mountains out of mole hills.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-02-20 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Buzz (2008-02-21)

Will do a prayer first ...will my phone stay unlocked? Thanks, Buzz.

Its never been easier to get the latest firmware and ALL its advantages: 45 seconds on ZiPhone and I've got the most stable hacked iphone I've ever owned.

The downsides are few:

Limited space for apps (fixed by BigBoss Tool)

Some Apps dont work, well it takes time for dvelopers to catch up and all the various methods of getting to 1.1.3 has made this almost impossible. If everyone did a fresh restore to 1.1.3 and used ZiPhone life would be much easier for developers and apps would be available more quickly.

Nates method, the Dev Team method and ZiPhone all do it differently and cause developers headaches because getting applications to recognise the method used and the best way to install is very timeconsuming if not impossible.

So lets help the developers a little and IMHO use the best method out there. Restore through itunes to 1.1.3 and run ZiPhone 45 seconds later you are sorted on 1.1.3 and developers will only have one method to deal with.Now how simple life would be untill 1.1.4 came out and it all starts over again !!!!
    Last edited by ericidle; 2008-02-20 at 06:53 PM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Thanks

Yeah, i'm on 1.1.3 with the new ZiPhone method, so ez now. But, still i'm not jumping over mountains in joy with 1.1.3 over 1.1.1/2.

So, if you are on 1.1.1 or .2 & the average phone user, you are really not missing much in my opinion. 1.1.4 would be your best upgrade path when it's out.
    Last edited by y0haan; 2008-02-20 at 07:18 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

[quote=Buzz;1871535) i'm over 40 and don't like to take risks

Buzz [/quote]

I'm 52. Jump in, girly-man...

Running on 1.1.3, jailbroken with ZiPhone -- the easiest jb I've ever done.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Napoleon_PhoneApart For This Useful Post:

Buzz (2008-02-21)

I updated my 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 using the Devteam method.
    My bluetooth car kit now causes my iPhone to switch off every time I disconnect from it!!!
    I've been advised to update again using Ziphone.

When I read the tutorials it says just to Restore in iTunes to 1.1.3 and then run Ziphone... then use AnySim 1.3 to unlock.
    In the new Ziphone readme it says it now unlocks 3.9 and I no longer need AnySim?
    Can I just do activate, jailbreak and unlock now in Ziphone with my 3.9 / 04.02.12_G iPhone - and will the find me feature in Google Maps work using this method?

I hope someone can put me straight - I will press THANKS!!!!

u don't need anysim...
    just use ziphone.
    I upgraded from 1.1.1 week 39 with bl3.9...
    upgrade to 113 then use ziphone....
    check all 3 of them...( jailbreak, activate & unlock )....went smoothly...
    did it 4 other phone...
    2 older, 2 newer ( 16gb ) one...
    works fine on either one...
    so good luck!
    great work guys!
    thnx a mill for such hardwork...
    god bless!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to koreanmasters99 For This Useful Post:

p3eps (2008-02-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I bought a brand new 8g 2 weeks ago with the 4.6 bl and jailbroke 1.1.3

It wasn't simple, but the only taxing part was how long it took to go to 1.1.1 then to 1.1.2 then to 1.1.3 then jailbreak after each step. Pita for sure, but not as technically challenging as it was just wearing on my patience doing it.

The only thing I fear is that since not everything is labeled as compatible you'll grab something off installer every now and then that will give a script error and soft brick you to an apple logo. You have to ssh in and delete the offending file and go through a long reboot while crossing your fingers that it comes back up - which it has every time for me, but I fear that one time it doesn't and I have to go through that entire jailbreak process again after restore.

Other than that, I don't miss too much of the old programs that won't run on 1.1.3 yet.
    Last edited by one1; 2008-02-21 at 07:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

so you dont want Wiggly icons and websites on the home screen and locate me and multiple sms contacts fine then
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I bought a brand new 8g 2 weeks ago with the 4.6 bl and jailbroke 1.1.3

It wasn't simple, but the only taxing part was how long it took to go to 1.1.1 then to 1.1.2 then to 1.1.3 then jailbreak after each step. Pita for sure, but not as technically challenging as it was just wearing on my patience doing it.

The only thing I fear is that since not everything is labeled as compatible you'll grab something off installer every now and then that will give a script error and soft brick you to an apple logo. You have to ssh in and delete the offending file and go through a long reboot while crossing your fingers that it comes back up - which it has every time for me, but I fear that one time it doesn't and I have to go through that entire jailbreak process again after restore.

Other than that, I don't miss too much of the old programs that won't run on 1.1.3 yet.
    ZiPhone doesn't require downgrading of any kind. Why go through the hassle?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Buzz (2008-02-21)

OK you 40+ pussies out there, if you have a 111 or 112 dinosaur with 3.9 BL, and want to upgrade to 113.....I've just done it as follows (takes 30 minutes max):-

1-Restore (don't Upgrade) in iTunes (use SFIFT + Restore and point to 113 file you downloaded to your hard disk)

2-Use Ziphone

Sorry can't make it simpler than that.

My thanks go to Eurisko, Geohot, Zibri and other guys in this post who encouraged me to take the plunge, and of course thanks to ModMyIfone who made it all possible.

I feel young again.

God bless you.

Buzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast