Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgrading to 2.0.2 need advice

Default upgrading to 2.0.2 need advice
    hey, i have now decided to upgrade my iphone from 1.1.3 to the newest version (2.0.2) because i've heard that it is up to date with all the apps. (is this true?)

now how should i do this? i use a mac, but i have both mac os x and windows xp installed on it (bootcamp), so first of all, windows or mac?

next up, what program should i use? i see that cydia installer recommend "pwnage tool" is that the best one? ive read somewhere else that winpwn or something is very good aswell.
    (if you have time: plz give link to detailed guide and download to the program you recommend)

last of all, how will i do this? do i just update my iphone on itunes as it is now to 2.0.2 and then unlock and jailbreak over again, or do i have to download the firmware and restore to 2.0.2?
    (if you have time: if i have to restore, link to download the latest firmware plz)

just to be sure, i have to unlock it as well as jailbreaking it again after its updated/restored right?

and about "pwnage tool" i read a little about it and it said someting about that it accepts custom firmwares? its been long since i've been searching news and all that about iphone/touch, whats a custom firmware?

and btw, is there any nice way i can backup my current applications and put them back in after i've updated and that? maybe iphone pc suite ?

thanks.
    Last edited by jks; 2008-09-02 at 08:45 PM. Reason: forgot something

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

pop it in iTunes and just let iTunes do the normal factory upgrade to 2.0.2.
    After youre done, then i would use WinPwn 2.5 to build the custom firmware. Once done restore the phone again using the custom firmware.

Good Luck.

anyone got a bit more detailed explanation and more answers to the rest of the questions?

Thanks

1. Once you pop the phone to iTunes...iTunes will the prompt you a note saying that there is a new upgrade software for the iphone...would you like to upgrade? just click yes, and let it does its thing...it will download the latest firmware (takes a while)..once done, it will install it to your phone.

2. I would recommend using WinPwn 2.5 beta version. It's easy. It's a GUI interface app.
    Here's the guide: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...step-step.html

3. Once done with the building custom firmware with WinPwn. You will restore your phone again with iTunes, but this time...click Shift and Restore (on PC), click Option and Restore (MAC)...then go and choose your custom firmware that you just built...and restore.

4. Once it is done...you have two options in iTunes...whether to set it up as NEW or restore with BackUp...choose Restore with BACKUP.

Hope that help. GoodLuck.

after i restore with custom firmware, is it unlocked and jailbreaked?

and is there a winpwn for mac?
    if not, what program for mac? which is similar to that one. cause its on my mac i got all the itunes songs etc etc.
    Last edited by jks; 2008-09-02 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

WinPwn GUI does give you the option to unlock the phone...you can pick and choose in the GUI.

MAC has pwnage tools and quickpwn...but i have not used them on First Gen phones....i did use pwnage tools for my 3G successfully...but i know 3G cant be unlocked..therefore just jailbreaking it.

I helped out a friend yesterday with his 1.1.4 first gen...and it was successful with WinPwn 2.5 on PC.

okey, thanks for all the quick replies but i think i am gonna try pwnage tool since its for mac's. and the replies for the winpwn 2.5 (on the link u gave me) aint so nice.

anyone got experience with pwnage tool?

hey, so i have now upgraded and unlcoked with success with pwnage tool. but theres a problem.
    i started downloading the apps i had before i upgraded, but almost noone of them r on cydia or installer, is this because i dont have the sources? i have installed community sources. and i didnt have so many sources before i updated either.
    Last edited by jks; 2008-09-03 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost