Results 1 to 10 of 10

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple of death

  1. #1
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Default Apple of death
    Hello,
    I have been having mega issues with 1.1.3.
    I have been unlocking, activating, jailbroken via ziPhone.

    I have been restoring all weekend, and I cant figure out no rhyme or reason to why or what app is locking up my phone.
    I have tried to figure out what or why but it doesnt seem to be any one download that makes a difference app.

    There does not seem to be any pattern as to why I get that spinning wheel, which forces me to hold down the sleep/wake along with the home button which then brings me to the apple of death.

    I have tried everything to not have to restore.
    Can anyone shed any light on this PLEASE.

    I don't get it, its so frustrating.
    I had a 1.1.1 and I now missing having that one, and wish I still had it.
    I had over 150 apps on it and it worked smoothly.

    Anyone have ANY ADIVSE???

    THANKS
    JW

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    You need to do the sleep / home button combo correctly to bring the phone into DFU mode. Then use iBrickr / iNdependance to reboot it back to normal. I had the same thing using Ziphone last week with a client's phone (also 1.1.1 OTB) and in the end downgraded and jailbroke it the old fashioned manual way. It's not so difficult that I need to use an unreliable shortcut.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:

    steamer702 (2008-02-27)

  4. #3
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    You need to do the sleep / home button combo correctly to bring the phone into DFU mode. Then use iBrickr / iNdependance to reboot it back to normal. I had the same thing using Ziphone last week with a client's phone (also 1.1.1 OTB) and in the end downgraded and jailbroke it the old fashioned manual way. It's not so difficult that I need to use an unreliable shortcut.

    DFU is when you hold the Sleep/Wake and the Home button until you see the Apple, then release the Sleep/Wake button.
    Hold the home button until you see the CD / Cable?

    What do you mean in iBrickr, or iNdependance to reboot?
    I have both a MAC at work and a PC at home, but I am just learning this stuff.
    What is the option called in both?
    Is it ZiPhone or something else?

    Also I did not understand: "it's not so difficult that I need to use an unreliable shortcut"?

    Thank you so much

  5. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    DFU is when you hold the Sleep/Wake and the Home button until you see the Apple, then release the Sleep/Wake button.
    Hold the home button until you see the CD / Cable?
    Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    What do you mean in iBrickr, or iNdependance to reboot?
    I have both a MAC at work and a PC at home, but I am just learning this stuff.
    What is the option called in both?
    Is it ZiPhone or something else?
    iBrickr (PC) and iNdependance (Mac) are tools to help you manage your iPhone. Google for them
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Also I did not understand: "it's not so difficult that I need to use an unreliable shortcut"?
    Ah that's just me being grumpy because ZiPhone didn't work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Thank you so much
    You're welcome.
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

  6. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Correct
    iBrickr (PC) and iNdependance (Mac) are tools to help you manage your iPhone. Google for them
    Ah that's just me being grumpy because ZiPhone didn't work for me
    You're welcome.
    I tried iBrickr and it says that my 1.1.3 has not been freed?
    I used ziPhone to unlock, jailbreak, and activate.
    As far as I can see I can use my T-Mo sim, install apps (when it is working) ans well its activated.
    What do I do to be able to use iBrickr?
    I used to us it to move over my voice mail ringtone. email ringtone, etc.
    Also iPhone Browser says that my phone hasn't been jailbroken either.

    Strange???

    Also what is the equivalent of WinSCP in respect to a MAC?
    I have a MAC and a PC, and iNdependance doesn't give me the functionality as WinSCP as far as I can tell.

    Thanks
    Last edited by n0m0n; 2008-02-19 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  7. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    I tried iBrickr and it says that my 1.1.3 has not been freed?
    I used ziPhone to unlock, jailbreak, and activate.
    As far as I can see I can use my T-Mo sim, install apps (when it is working) ans well its activated.
    What do I do to be able to use iBrickr?
    I used to us it to move over my voice mail ringtone. email ringtone, etc.
    Also iPhone Browser says that my phone hasn't been jailbroken either.

    Strange???

    Also what is the equivalent of WinSCP in respect to a MAC?
    I have a MAC and a PC, and iNdependance doesn't give me the functionality as WinSCP as far as I can tell.

    Thanks
    I've no idea about iBrickr not believing you're jailbroken. I've only used it once to be honest.

    On the Mac you should be able to open up a terminal and use 'scp' from the command line (as I do from Linux). Not especially user friendly if you don't know you're way around the phone but very quick and effective
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

  8. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    I've no idea about iBrickr not believing you're jailbroken. I've only used it once to be honest.

    On the Mac you should be able to open up a terminal and use 'scp' from the command line (as I do from Linux). Not especially user friendly if you don't know you're way around the phone but very quick and effective
    Mac SCP is equal to Putty on a PC.
    I was hoping that there was a app that was like WinSCP which is a app for the PC (very very user friendly)?

    I found a app I think on i.unlock.no that does something that tells iBrickr that the phone is jailbroken.

    Also do you know if there is a limit to the amount of apps allowed on a 1.13, and does BossTool eliminate that ?

    Thanks
    Last edited by n0m0n; 2008-02-20 at 01:16 PM.

  9. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Wayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    Mac SCP is equal to Putty on a PC.
    I was hoping that there was a app that was like WinSCP which is a app for the PC (very very user friendly)?

    I found a app I think on i.unlock.no that does something that tells iBrickr that the phone is jailbroken.

    Also do you know if there is a limit to the amount of apps allowed on a 1.13, and does BossTool eliminate that ?

    Thanks
    Storage is your only limit - BoosTool helps
    iPhone 3gs, running 4.2 Greenp0is0ned
    iPad 32Gb, running 4.2 Grrenp0is0ned

  10. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    889
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Storage is your only limit - BoosTool helps
    That is what I thought because I used BossTool on my 1.1.1 and it worked GREAT.
    With my 1.1.3 I used it as well but I had all the storage issues forcing to into this problem to begin with?

    Not understanding if moving my apps created this problem or if maybe BT didn't work this time?

  11. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by n0m0n View Post
    DFU is when you hold the Sleep/Wake and the Home button until you see the Apple, then release the Sleep/Wake button.
    Hold the home button until you see the CD / Cable?
    NO !! That is not DFU mode! That is recovery mode.

    see THIS POST for an explanation of the 2 and how to put the phone into each of these modes.

    -snorkrat

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to snorkrat For This Useful Post:

    Wayno (2008-02-26)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •