Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WinPWN 2.5 CAUTION!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry WinPWN 2.5 CAUTION!!!!
    You are supposed to chose the custom firmware from a file it would of been nice of them to tell you where it is at the end of the "easy" PWNing
    For me it put it in the documents folder
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2008-08-30 at 01:50 AM.

Really, it asked me where to save it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me E-Dragon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Really, it asked me where to save it.
    didn't for me but I had expert off, I guess I'll redo it with it on. Because right now it just builds it and saves it to....... Hmm I'm not sure because I still haven't found it....

Found it.. By Default it is now saving in the documents folder... GREAT! That little small bit of info would of been nice at the end of the "easy" mode. Because running it that way IT DOES NOT ASK YOU WHERE TO SAVE IT and it doesn't even let you know when its done where it saved it...
    Last edited by E-Dragon; 2008-08-30 at 01:48 AM.

What worked for me is i did quickpawn but in expert mode so that it asked me where to save the file...

Im a noob at this stuff, I've been jailbreaking for bout a month now. I used winpwn 2.5 for the first time and did everything right. And it does ask u where u want to save ur custom firmware!

this post is about basic computer skills like paying attention where you save something. really a very basic concept. here is another basic concept caps means you are shouting. why you shouting caution for winpwn? there are no problems with winpwn. winpwn is perfect.
    SkiHound ,,, Loves his Iphone,

Thanks

this post is about basic computer skills like paying attention where you save something. really a very basic concept. here is another basic concept caps means you are shouting. why you shouting caution for winpwn? there are no problems with winpwn. winpwn is perfect.
    Good point. People who have weak basic computing skills really ought not to be modding. While many peopple have what I will call "legitimate" problems and issues with the process, there are far too many people who either think they have a problem or are expecting this to be 'easy'. Well that is relative. To a computer savvy person it is "easy". So if you are reading here and see the posts that make it look easy, you have no way of knowing that poster's level of expertise. i will say that I am quite computer literate and was very hesitant about jailbreaking the first time. in fact, I boughtmy first iPhone just about a year ago. it had 1.0.2 firmware. I did not jailbreak until 1.1.1 and the old one click jailbreakme.com method. I will say that I jailbroke every firmware since then using every Windows method out there.

In defense, many of the posts written by very knowledgable folks do appear to "leave out" some steps. What is often left out are the steps that tech savvy people know instinctively. Sort of like when we attempted to get my father in law online. He wanted written instructions for "every step". I couldn't do it! Instead of things like "open up Internet Explorer" he wanted to see: "move the cursor to the internet Explorer icon, Click twice in rapid succession (double-click)" While that level of detail would be nice, it just isnt forthcoming from most. I dont mean that in a snide way, just a matter of fact.

Compounding this is the confusion arising from iPod Touch, iPhone, all the different firmwares and their respective methods. throw in the 3G iphone with its unique issues, and top it off with the differences for people on an authorized carrier (ie: ATT) and those that need to unlock. Its a great deal to sort out. Modding is not a task to be taken lightly.

What troubles me is when peole post things like "warning" or "stay away from". It might be more helpful to simply post "please help, problem with..." I say this becasue the thread may take a very informative turn wiht much valuable information, but people when searching may not even click on the link thinking it will not help them, thus resulting in more panic posts.

Everyone was new once and had to learn. That is what we are here for, but there is some responsibility on the part of the individual to enter the process with some basic knowledge. think of it as similar to not taking a course in conversational "fill in foreign language of your choice" before taking the elementary courses in "fill in the foreign language of your choice".

One must learn to walk before learning to run.