Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH Clarification

Default SSH Clarification
    Hi, new here. I'm a new iPhone owner and have been reading up on jailbreaking and was just looking for a little clarification on a point. Please stop me if I'm misunderstanding something. In order to transfer files between the iPhone and my computer, I will have to use SSH, right? And if I'm reading the guide here properly, that's done through your wireless network via WinSCP (running Vista here). I don't have a wireless network. Is there another way of transferring files, or am I reading this wrong? Thanks for any advice!

To transfer files "manually" you have to SSH which takes WIFI.

However, when you jailbreak you can install "Cydia" and/or "Installer" which are both app repositories that will allow you to install apps straight from your iphone.

Check out this guide on how to do it without connection to wifi from Zodttd's forum

[Guide] SSH Without WiFi - ZodTTD: Home Of Homebrew

Hey thanks for the info!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the easiest method is with the iphonebrowser = iphonebrowser - Google Code or DiskAid = DiskAid - Transfer Files betwen your Computer and your iPhone or iPod Touch. Disk Mode for your iPhone and iPod Touch.

ive used both, i tend to use diskaid more and im glad i dont have to deal with winscp, wifi and all that for regular use anymore.

1.connect iphone with usb cable to computer
    2.start one of the above programs---
    3. browse/transfer/edit files till youre bored silly

voila......
    Last edited by jwidsvs; 2008-08-30 at 08:16 AM.

diskaid doesnt seem to work on me anymore since i upgraded to 2.1 and itunes 8.
    it just says please plug iphone...