Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Feint of heart-Bricking your iphone truth or scare tactic?

Default Feint of heart-Bricking your iphone truth or scare tactic?
    hi there,
    thanks in advance to all of the iphone veterans that are reading this post - any insight you can provide would be very helpful. i have recently purchased an iphone and have researching the various jailbreak utilities that are out there. i've dicussed this with some apple people and of course they discouraged me from attempting this. stating that the iphone could be "bricked" and completely unrestorable. now, im not too shabby around desktops os'es and i will attempt anything on a laptop or computer - however, i think some of what the apple associate warned me about is making me gunshy. exactly what are the dangers of jailbreaking my phone? i know all of the benefits and believe me, it's making me drool, however my concern with anything jailbroken is the updates from apple.

how will the iphone react to patches from apple?

does it affect the way the unit interacts with ATT my carrier?

what happens when the iphone eventually crashes? will the unit be restorable similar to the way you can restore a desktop computer? or will the iphone be truly bricked?

funny, the cell phone was the absolute last piece of equipment that i cared about till i got the iphone, now i am just weighing my options before taking the next step.

1. There is always a "At your own risk" with hacking, but if your scared try using "Quickpwn", its one method for jailbreaking that WILL NOT brick your phone, at most you might have to restore.

2. If done properly, your phone will function just like it did before, work just as well no problems. No conflict with AT&T.

3. Anytime you upgrade firmware and/or restore it will "re-jail" the phone and you will have to do the "jailbreak" all over again. But it wont prevent you from doing an upgrade or restore.

Hope that helps.

PS - If the Apple guy was warning you it would brick it, its mostly because he works for Apple.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

chronometre (2008-08-28)

The chance that you will brick the iPhone by using one of the current apps out that does it for you, unlike the days when we had to follow long and tedious steps, is about the same as Ethiopia landing men on the moon.

The benefits outweigh the negative to having a stock iPhone. Plus, you'll be cooler than everyone else you know. lol :P

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ronfin44 For This Useful Post:

chronometre (2008-08-28)

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    The chance that you will brick the iPhone by using one of the current apps out that does it for you, unlike the days when we had to follow long and tedious steps, is about the same as Ethiopia landing men on the moon.

The benefits outweigh the negative to having a stock iPhone. Plus, you'll be cooler than everyone else you know. lol :P
    Those were the days, 2 hours of dos-prompt command line typing and yeah! I totally have a jailbroken phone.......now on too the 2 hours of dos-prompt command line typing to add a theme

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

chronometre (2008-08-28)

wow thank you very much for the responses - i think i am ready to take the plunge. one app that was brought up. quickpwn - are the applications that are available from that method equal than if i used another method to jailbreak the iphone? i never understood the benefits from using each jailbreak application...

"Jailbreaking" is just to get you access to the phone to "add all the cool stuff". Its like getting the combination to the lock, so the method doesnt depend on what your adding.

I spoke of quickpwn because it will be the easiest for you. Thats all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

chronometre (2008-08-28)

ty again cp - 30 mins on this forum and im ready to go. hopefully i get enough experience that i may begin contributing. wish me luck

Haha, it will come.

Welcome to MMI!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

'Welcome to the real world...' - Morpheus

Yes Jailbreaking is good, I have had no problems with unlocking and jailbreaking in the past and I have had my iPhone for a while. The only time was with 1.1.3 soft upgrade where everytime I hard resetted it went to restore mode. If there are any problems, we will gladly help you out.
    Last edited by Taniban; 2008-08-28 at 05:51 AM.

^^Take the blue pill!

The other one will totally screw your iphone up.

Hey hey,

I know this post has prolly been answered ten times over, but i was the same way. took a buddy of mine with a 'defective' phone to test his jail break first. tested the technique out on mine and all worked perfect - so far -

check out the link below for a great vid and tutorial, simple stuff usin quickpwn.
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G (2.0.2) with QuickPwn (Video Tutorial)

good luck bro

you have problems with ethiopian's ?

**** you

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

A good rule of thumb to follow is this:

"Look at the source."

So if an apple employee is giving you advice on things that could go wrong with your phone should you jailbreak, remember he isn't exactly impartial.