Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: .....(someone must have the answers)

Exclamation .....(someone must have the answers)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Australia and purchased an unlocked iphone from America about 4 months ago. It has alread been unlocked so that i can use it on my local TELSTRA Ausralia network, utube, google earth etc.

The current software version on the phone is 1.0.2.

I have had no problems so far and my motto has been "if it isn't broken then don't fix it". however recently i have had clitches in the software starting to appear and last night it completely shut down and wouldn't start up again. i finally got it re-booted this morning but i think upgrading the software to the most recent one will correct a lot of these poblems.

The questions i have are:
    1. Do i just need to follow the guide to upgrade my software to 1.1.3, or will i have to then unlock the phone as well and do a few other things to get it compatible with the australian networks?
    2. When i upgrade, will all of my contacts and internet settings etc be lost?
    3. Are there any special things i need to do when im upgrading if the phone is to be used on Ausralian phone networks and not American
    4. My home computer recognises my iphone and i can sync it but on my work computer it isnt recognising it at all? is there something small i need to do to rectify this? im using microsoft windows xp.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I would suggest that you just upgrade to 1.1.2, there is nothing wrong with it. The 1.1.3 jailbreak is still somewhat unstable. There are plenty of tutorials for upgrading to a jailbroken 1.1.2, just do a search. good luck.

Thanks for the information. Would i have to upgrade to firmware 1.1.1 then 1.1.2? or can i upgrade straight from my 1.0.2 to 1.1.2?

you

you have to Alt +restore to 111 and jailbreak 111 and install okto prep and then Alt update to 112 and jailbreak with jar I'm on a mac there's one for windows just look through the guides you have to go through 111 first before you go to 111 and then use the anysim for 112 make sure you follow the guieds and you'll be fine

you have to Alt +restore to 111 and jailbreak 111 and install okto prep and then Alt update to 112 and jailbreak with jar I'm on a mac there's one for windows just look through the guides you have to go through 111 first before you go to 111 and then use the anysim for 112 make sure you follow the guieds and you'll be fine
    Last edited by thebambino; 2008-02-07 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Contacts and such can be synced with Outlook

Thanks

Daroo... if you need help in anyway, sing out mate & i'll guide you through it, Have done a few phones & i also started at 1.0.2 now at 1.1.3. There is loads of info in the Guide section as you have probably seen, but here if you need some advice.

Nick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nickh For This Useful Post:

daroo (2008-02-12)

Does your work computer have iTunes 7.3 (i think thats the version when the iphone first came out) or newer? It could be that...i'm no expert on that tho...just trying to help out in any way

and as nickh indicated...this site has many guides that can help you through the process of going from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and if you wanna try it..1.1.3..follow the guides precisely and you'll be fine...(i suggest reading it once over before you actually do anything...just to be familiar with it)

I would assume that since you bought the phone unlocked from the states recently then they probably used some kind of software unlock...I think you need to virginize the phone before upgrading to 1.1.1 and 1.1.2...however, I am not 100% sure...so don't take my word for it just yet heh...i'll get back to you on that one unless someone else chimes in...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aiyeeeeeeee For This Useful Post:

daroo (2008-02-12)

Thanks nickh,
    mate i would appreciate some help that would be great. im handy with computers etc so not illiterate but just very new to the iphone side of things.
    Im just a little confused with all of these terms.... virginise, unlock, jailbreak? i thought they were all the same thing.
    So to get this right. I am starting off with 1.0.2 and its fully unlocked and usable. Now to get to 1.1.3 i need to upgrade to 1.1.1 then upgrade to 1.1.2 then im able to upgrade to 1.1.3?
    Now about this virginising, unlocking and jailbreaking. do i need to do any of these steps along the way or is it as easy as just doing a straight upgrade?

http://iphone.unlock.no/ this should guide you. let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Hi Daroo,

No you dont need to virginise, you can go stright up to 1.1.1 using guides in here, then you need a wifi signal to jailbreak & activate,install Oktoprep via i.unlock.no with installer, then go up to 1.1.2 (remember to Shift & Update, not Restore, as this wipes out the Oktoprep you just installed, jailbreak and activate with pc, can get all you need again from guides section, install iworld,bsd subsytem, Anysim 1.2.1u both from installer, make sure you update installer when prompted to and then can proceed up to 1.1.3. i used Official Dev Team method, work first time for me, takes a good hour, and again need wifi to do it. There are also fantastic guides on www.iunlock.no very simple to follow. Once all that is done you can go to iClaricied.com to upgrade your baseband, then your done.

Let me know if you need any more pointers,
    Nick

Update:

Here is a video guide, will help you alot mate, he starts with 1.1.1 you will need to go up to 1.1.1 first, you will need to virginize your phone before hand, i had a look on iunlock.no and the info for you is there.

http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dum...breaking_1.1.3
    Last edited by nickh; 2008-02-12 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nickh For This Useful Post:

daroo (2008-02-12)

mate, i am lost i have to admit.
    firstly would i get any extra options from what i have now if i upgraded to 1.1.3? also are there people out there who you can pay to upgrade it?

i replied to your message before i saw your update. i will have a look at that link and see if it gives me any more confidence. thanks a heap for all the help so far mate
    Last edited by daroo; 2008-02-12 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Mate, if ur in Melbourne, i will do it for you free of charge, But am sure the video will make it awhole lot clear for you, can be a bit daunting to begin with.

im in melbourne for a weekend away not this weekend but next weekend?
    i will have a look at all the videos and see how confident i am with the whole process then. From what i can gather so far, i need to virginize my phone, then upgade to 1.1.1 the follow the videos?

Thanks

Yep, you need to virginize first then update to 1.1.1, am happy to do it, if you want to wait till next weekend or you have any probs i will sort em out for you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nickh For This Useful Post:

daroo (2008-02-12)

yeah thanks for that mate... i will have a crack at it over this weekend. if i have any problems i migh post it over to you and then pick it up when i am there the weekend after next.
    thanks again mate

Thanks

No problems, i reacon its always good to give it a bash yourself, as when the future updates come out, you at least have an understanding of how it all works.

Good Luck,
    I will send you a PM with my email address if you need any pointers msn me.