Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best way to update the firmware on my 3G

Default Best way to update the firmware on my 3G
    Just looking for some clarification on how everyone upgrades the firmware on a jailbreak iphone each time. I use winpwn to jailbreak my iphone. I have a 3G jailbreak iphone with 2.0.1 firmware installed and I want to upgrade to 2.0.2 (jailbreak flavor) firmware. Can I just do a firmware upgrade so that only the firmware is upgraded and I don't have to do the DFU mod thing and have to reinstall all of my apps, themes, media and settings. Is there a way to upgrade the firmware and keep all the apps, themes, and media preserved on the phone? Thanks MMI I love this site.

BTW: I do see all of these tutorials and how to's on jailbreaking but they all start from an iphone with stock firmware. I haven't seen how to upgrade firmware from an already jailbroke phone. I could put the iphone into DFU mod, install 2.0.2 firmware on there and then rejailbreak but I want to avoid that because it will delete everything. Is this the way everyone is doing their firmware upgrades now? Can I create a new jailbreak 2.0.2 firmware with winpwn and then install it with itunes by holding down the shift key before I hit restore with the iphone NOT in DFU mode but in restore mode? Thanks
    Last edited by shawnjam; 2008-08-20 at 05:30 PM.