Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help

Default Need help
    I have a 1st Gen iphone currently running 2.0 FW. What I'm looking to find out is if I can upgrade to 2.0.1 (Windows PC) without having to reinstall all my jailbroke apps. Can I load up the 2.0.1 ipsw, pwn my phone with WinPwn and restore all my apps? The pwning process is simple, it's getting all my settings and data back that sucks. Does quickpwn or the new Winpwn do any of this? What's the proper procedure to get everything back to how i have it now with upgraded FW?

Thanks

Apparently with QuickPwn, yes you can. Review the threads on it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Apparently with QuickPwn, yes you can. Review the threads on it.
    From what I've read, as long as you dont need a custom ipsw you can use QuickPwn to jailbreak/unlock it. I dont use any custom logos, and just set the options to what was specified in the iClarified WinPwn guide. I would assume that puts me in the "no custom ipsw" category.

However, it doesn't mention anything about needing to reinstall my jailbroken apps. Can anyone clarify?
    Last edited by fbords; 2008-08-19 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fbords View Post
    From what I've read, as long as you dont need a custom ipsw you can use QuickPwn to jailbreak/unlock it. I dont use any custom logos, and just set the options to what was specified in the iClarified WinPwn guide. I would assume that puts me in the "no custom ipsw" category.

However, it doesn't mention anything about needing to reinstall my kailbroken apps. Can anyone clarify?
    You will need to reinstall them.

at the moment is there anything that makes a custom ipsw "custom" other than boot logos? I'm trying to figure if i can just go the quickpwn route

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

"Custom" firmware essentially means not stock Apple. It has installer, Cydia and bootneuter pre-loaded inside it. Eventually we should be able to load payloads, sources, and apps into the firmware when being built.

So, if I want Cydia and installer, QuickPwn wont work for me since I'd need to create a custom firmware file?