Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Newbee wants classification of terminology

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Newbee wants classification of terminology
    Hi...
    Sorry for the stupid questions here but I'm a new iPhone owner, free of charge. Got it from a girlfriend, LOL! It's running 1.1.4 2g firmware. I want to use it on t-mobile service.
    Can some one explain to me the differences of terminology when talking about jailbreaking, unlocking, and pwn'ing? I figured that would be a good start. Custom apps and skins are cool and all as well as some of the awesome mods the entire community has come up with. I'd just like to start by getting my used iPhone running on t-mobile service.

Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by phx6stringer View Post
    Hi...
    Sorry for the stupid questions here but I'm a new iPhone owner, free of charge. Got it from a girlfriend, LOL! It's running 1.1.4 2g firmware. I want to use it on t-mobile service.
    Can some one explain to me the differences of terminology when talking about jailbreaking, unlocking, and pwn'ing? I figured that would be a good start. Custom apps and skins are cool and all as well as some of the awesome mods the entire community has come up with. I'd just like to start by getting my used iPhone running on t-mobile service.

Thanks to all!
    correct me if im wrong but

jailbreaking means you can put 3rd party apps on but cant switch carriers
    unlocking means you can switch carriers
    and pwning any of the above

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Thank you...
    I aoppreciate the info...

So pwning is just a combo unlock/jailbreak done at the same time. I didn't want to sound freakin' stupid but I did want clarification and now I have it. Thanks a bunch! I'm an EE, not software related, but I think I'm going to have fun with this project as a whole. The community of iPhone users are really adept at coming up with way cool things to do with this phone and I'm really looking forward to playing around with it... but need to get it at least functioning as a phone first! U rock hard!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Pwning is a application. Developed by the iphone dev. Team it can either "unlock" your phone enabling it to work on any GSM carrier "jailbreaking" allows you to use any applications apples or third party using cydia or installer(third party app downloading clients). It is really easy to do just type iPhone dev team into google download the program and follow the steps. Good luck!