Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery problem after 1.1.3-3 upgrade

Thanks

Unhappy Battery problem after 1.1.3-3 upgrade
    Hi,

I upgraded to 1.1.3 a few days ago using dev teams 1.1.3-3 installer soft upgrade. Everything seems to work fine and managed to fix most problems except for sms. However sms issue i can live with after learning that my iphone is now having a serious battery issue.

Today i notice that when i put the phone on charge my battery icon indicator is always indicating that the battery is fully charged when i know it obviously isnt due to the extensive use during the day.

Today the iphone shutdown as it would normally when the battery goes dead, so i put it to charge only to find the phone already saying it was fully charged with the plug icon in the corner. after restarting the phone a couple of times whilst on the charger it starting showing fluctuating battery reading. after an hour on the dock the phone began to get extremely hot, not just the normal warmth you get, just extremely hot the back case was as hot as my laptop would get.

so i let the phone discharge as much as i could and charged it with the phone turned off. although now it still shows the battery at 100% all the time. now i dont even know if it is charging anymore.

any ideas? i was thinking this may have something to do with the power management.

maybe it could be a faulty battery?

i would love to revirginize the phone and take it to my nearest apple store but i live in australia.

any help would be appreciated.

khil.

Thanks

I had this happen at one point when I was still running on 1.1.2 jailbroken. What I think happened is that my ipod was running in the background. I ended up doing a full restore and redid the jailbreak. Fixed the problem. I think mine was caused after installing John Tool. Uninstalling the app did not fix it but the restore did.

As far as what is happening to you on 1.1.3- I used the same upgrade as you and have no problems with the battery, but i have noticed that sometimes my ipod wants to stay "on". If I stop playing and go back to my playlist and exit out, if I go back into iPod I will see a small flag in the upper right corner of the screen saying "now playing". If I use the "back" key repeatedly until i get back to the mail iPod menu, teh "now Playing" indicator goes away. if the iPod is "on, it will eat you battery. In fact as I write i did notice one night my battery was almost gone in the morning and that is exactly what happened. I was listening to a long track and pressed "pause" , clicked to get back to the home screen and then put the iPhone in sleep mode. In the morning the battery was 3/4 gone.

Thanks

Hey bhz1,

im not sure if my battery problem is caused by a background app or not.
    although i may just have to do another restore.

when you had the battery problem in 1.1.2 did your battery icon in the top right corner alway show as full?? also when you plug it into the charger did the the little plug icon show up? its like its stuck on full charge or something.

and as far as the iphone getting hot im too scared to leave it on charge for too long - afraid it will blow up or something. if not melt all the hardware

edit:
    hmmm, ok for some reason my battery info only updates after a hard restart of the phone. i have been using the battery info app by trejan and montoring the battery readings and only changes after a restart.

any ideas how to fix this?
    Last edited by khil; 2008-02-06 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

When my phone had the problem, the battery icon in the status bar acted normally. My phone did get very hot too, especially when running an app like iPhysics. The plug on the icon did show up but it took a very long time to charge. A full restore fixed it. At that point i brought my phone back down to 1.0.2 - 1.1.1-jailbreak-1.1.2-jailbreak, using iTunes 7.5. Everything worked great after that.

My feeling is that after installing and uninstalling so many apps (to try them) it was akin to a PC hard drive that needed defragging. A clean install was needed.

I know alot of folks dont want to do the restore since it can be such a pain, but what I realized is the amnount of time I spent online trying to research a problem, I could do the restore and re mooding of my phone quicker.

If you do decide to restore, it makes things easier when you remod, if you back-up your modded files/directories on your PC first, especially if you have a lot of custom icons, themes etc... Then all you have to do is copy thise files back to your phone. Reinstalling apps is not as bad as it sounds. Took me about 1/2 hour.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

khil (2008-02-06)

Thanks

Thanks for your help bhz1, i think ill try a restore since anysim 1.3 is out. hopefully that will sort out the problem.

Khil

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khil View Post
    Hi,

I upgraded to 1.1.3 a few days ago using dev teams 1.1.3-3 installer soft upgrade. Everything seems to work fine and managed to fix most problems except for sms. However sms issue i can live with after learning that my iphone is now having a serious battery issue.

maybe it could be a faulty battery?

i would love to revirginize the phone and take it to my nearest apple store but i live in australia.

any help would be appreciated.

khil.
    I don't think it's a faulty battery. I started having similar issues after upgrading to the 4.03.13_G baseband. The status icon doesn't appear to keep in-sync with actual battery capacity. Example, running HWInfo show's the battery at roughly 80% but the icon shows full charge. Not certain but it appears that the baseband processor is responsible for monitoring battery charge (which kind of makes sense). There may be a kernel thread which periodically queries the baseband modem for battery status and it's not running as it should (just an educated guess).

As for the SMS issue, if it involves the ordering of messages, then this is a known bug in 1.1.3.

Install services and make sure SSH is set to off. if it's not specifically turned off, it'll always run in the background, eating away battery life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    I don't think it's a faulty battery. I started having similar issues after upgrading to the 4.03.13_G baseband. The status icon doesn't appear to keep in-sync with actual battery capacity. Example, running HWInfo show's the battery at roughly 80% but the icon shows full charge. Not certain but it appears that the baseband processor is responsible for monitoring battery charge (which kind of makes sense). There may be a kernel thread which periodically queries the baseband modem for battery status and it's not running as it should (just an educated guess).

As for the SMS issue, if it involves the ordering of messages, then this is a known bug in 1.1.3.
    Hi imode69, Thank god someone understands what has been happening.

i just upgraded the baseband to 04.03.13_g and use anysim 1.3 to unlock.
    not sure what, how or why but the problem seems to be fixed - the battery icon now is in-sync with the discharge rate.

Maybe it could have been the method of upgrade i had previously done in 1.1.2 that have left out a certain process that updates the battery status.

all in all the upgrade of baseband to 04.03.13_g and the anysim 1.3 must have fixed the firmware.

Also im really happy with the new baseband firmware, my wifi reciever strength is incredible, picks up further away then it use to.

khil