Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help/advice please!!

Default Need help/advice please!!
    I have a few questions I need help with.

I bought my iphone in May of 2008 right before 3G iphone was announced, I then decided to jailbreak my phone, using ziphone, so that I could download 3rd party apps, now that the new 2.0 software is availiable, I was thinking that I should just restore my phone and upgrade it. My question is how do you restore a jailbroken iphone is it possible? Also when I connect my iphone to itunes and click scan for updates, it says my iphone has the lastest version which is 1.1.4? I dont know what to do? [B]Can you have the new updates and stil dosent my itunes offer me to upgrade to 2.0?Thanks.

Thanks

Itunes catches update info at different times for some reason. iTunes told me I had an update 7 days after 2.0 was released. You don't need to restore and upgrade. Just make a custom firmware with Pwnage and restore your iPhone using that custom firmware. You can get Pwange off this site. The firmware, you can either wait til iTunes finds it, or look for it online.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Eurisko, you missed what he was saying, the reason itunes says you have the latest version is because you need to update to itunes 7.7 before it will find the 2.0 update for your phone. if your looking to exchange your iphone for a 3g then you will need to restore the iphone to 1.1.4 by NOT updating itunes and clicking restore, it will wipe the iphone and put it back at day 1, take it to apple and exchange it.

if your looking to keep the iphone but wanna update to 2.0, then update itunes to 7.7, then connect the iphone and it will find the 2.0 software and download it for you.

youll have a few options from there, if you want to hack the 2.0 software, then disconnect the iphone once the 2.0 starts d/l in itunes. use pwange(mac) or winpwn(windows) to customize the 2.0 and then update 1.1.4 with custom 2.0

or just plug iphone in and update to 2.0 (current release 2.0.1)

Ok I am dl the 7.7.1 itunes atm, just curious if i go ahead and dl 2.0.1with my jailbroken phone, which is at&t btw, will it do anything like wipe contacts pictures or will it remove installer.app and all my applications? Im very unfamiliar with winpwn i dont really know what all that is about. More info please, Thanks for all the help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by schultz06 View Post
    Ok I am dl the 7.7.1 itunes atm, just curious if i go ahead and dl 2.0.1with my jailbroken phone, which is at&t btw, will it do anything like wipe contacts pictures or will it remove installer.app and all my applications? Im very unfamiliar with winpwn i dont really know what all that is about. More info please, Thanks for all the help so far!

yes it will wipe you phone and everything will get erased. if you want to save any data then sync with itunes, however it will not save installer and all your apps as thats a hack and itunes doesnt copy and save everything, although it will save the placement of all your icons =]

if you still want a jailbroken phone, then you will need to d/l the 2.0.1 software and user winpwn to modify the ipsw, and then apply it to the iphone, you will then have a jailbroken 2.0.1 =]