Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No sound from speaker a day after 1.1.3 Jailbreak (??)

Default No sound from speaker a day after 1.1.3 Jailbreak (??)
    So this is a strange one. I used Nate's jailbreak (1.1.2 jailbroken -> 1.1.3 -> 1.1.1 -> 1.1.3 soft upgrade, AT&T customer) and everything worked out great. I just had to apply BigBoss's MailFix and everything was working fine, including ringtones.

About a day later, I was using the timer app to time my laundry, and found the phone vibrating (but not playing Marimba) when it should have. I tried tapping a number of the "stock" ringtones, but they made no sound. So, I set the timer to use my custom ringtone, which played just fine in the 'preview' mode.

After the timer ran down, I again found the phone vibrating and not ringing, and this time I was not able to get the custom ringtone to work either. I tried installing the stock ringtone fix from Installer, but this did nothing.

I then noticed that I have no sounds at all from the speaker. No lock/unlock sounds, iPod is silent, etc. All of these sounds work fine through the earpiece.

Now I know what you're going to say -- clean the headphone jack, insert and remove the headphones a bunch of times, turn the iPhone off/back on, reboot the iPhone, sync with iTunes. I've tried all of these, and none work. I initially thought it was the 'iPhone thinks headphones are connected' issue as well, but there's one distinct difference. I can talk on my phone without the headphones just fine. When I've had the audio jack gunk buildup issue in the past, the built-in mic has been disabled too. Additionally, I can see my volume setting in iPod mode changing from low to high when I insert & remove the headphone jack.

Anyone have any ideas before I restore this thing?

Each iPhone has slightly different architecture, glitches you can call them. No telling whats wrong if you implimented the ringtone fix and you still experiencing problems. I suggest your restore to 1.1.1 and then use Nate True's, your problem is because you went from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 soft upgrade using nates. If you insist on going back to 1.1.2, use the Dev Teams soft upgrade to 1.1.3

So it's getting a bit stranger. Restoring to 1.1.3 did not do anything to fix my lack of speaker sounds. Seems like something's broken and the update to 1.1.3 must have just been coincidental. Anyone else experiencing this, or am I the only one?

For some reason, my Mail.app won't start either, so I'm going to try restoring again just to be thorough.

EDIT: Does a full restore guarantee that my jailbreaking tracks are covered? I think I need to take a trip to the Apple Store.
    Last edited by lh99; 2008-01-30 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lh99 View Post
    So this is a strange one. I used Nate's jailbreak (1.1.2 jailbroken -> 1.1.3 -> 1.1.1 -> 1.1.3 soft upgrade, AT&T customer) and everything worked out great. I just had to apply BigBoss's MailFix and everything was working fine, including ringtones.

About a day later, I was using the timer app to time my laundry, and found the phone vibrating (but not playing Marimba) when it should have. I tried tapping a number of the "stock" ringtones, but they made no sound. So, I set the timer to use my custom ringtone, which played just fine in the 'preview' mode.

After the timer ran down, I again found the phone vibrating and not ringing, and this time I was not able to get the custom ringtone to work either. I tried installing the stock ringtone fix from Installer, but this did nothing.

I then noticed that I have no sounds at all from the speaker. No lock/unlock sounds, iPod is silent, etc. All of these sounds work fine through the earpiece.

Now I know what you're going to say -- clean the headphone jack, insert and remove the headphones a bunch of times, turn the iPhone off/back on, reboot the iPhone, sync with iTunes. I've tried all of these, and none work. I initially thought it was the 'iPhone thinks headphones are connected' issue as well, but there's one distinct difference. I can talk on my phone without the headphones just fine. When I've had the audio jack gunk buildup issue in the past, the built-in mic has been disabled too. Additionally, I can see my volume setting in iPod mode changing from low to high when I insert & remove the headphone jack.

Just connect and reconnect ur Stock apple headphones. Repeat about 5 or 6 time to u hear sound.

Just connect and reconnect ur Stock apple headphones. Repeat about 5 or 6 time to u hear sound. What happens is ur iphone thinks is connnected to ur headphones

Just connect and reconnect ur Stock apple headphones. Repeat about 5 or 6 time to u hear sound. What happens is ur iphone thinks is connnected to ur headphones

Just connect and reconnect ur Stock apple headphones. Repeat about 5 or 6 time to u hear sound. What happens is ur iphone thinks is connected to ur headphones

Thanks, but if you read my post, you would have noticed that I tried that already. I've inserted and removed the original headphone jack at least 100 times, inserted it 'hard' while twisting, etc. I've even cleaned the port with a q-tip and Windex as several sites recommend.

The speaker is broken!

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

read on website hack that phone.com or something that updating to 1.1.3 using the installer method makes the speakers not work. but i have heard mixed results!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heath_rox For This Useful Post:

hippie_man (2008-02-01)

Yep...broken speaker. The Apple Store just gave me a brand-new iPhone, no questions asked.

Great customer service, so far!

How did you get a free replacement that easy? Did you just walk in and tell them that it's not working? Did they look and see that you had it jailbroken?

Default 1.1.3. Audio
    Hey,
    Just did a full upgrade yesterday. I had 1.1.2 running perfectly fine did all of the updates they said to do. Then i ran the installer version of the 1.1.3 upgrade. What this guy is saying is true. I also have no sound period. No sound out of the speakers no sound out of the headphones no sound out of the ear speaker "cant even talk on the phone" haha. Call connects other end can hear me but i cant hear back.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    David

Thanks

Default Exactly the same problem
    I have just had the exact same problem.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Did you try to reset all settings? setting--general--reset--reset all settings. It worked for me

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES

Quote Originally Posted by dakko View Post
    Did you try to reset all settings? setting--general--reset--reset all settings. It worked for me
    reset definetly works, thank you so much.....