Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deleting the 185 mb 1.1.3 Jailbreak file

Exclamation Deleting the 185 mb 1.1.3 Jailbreak file
    hello my name is neil. I have been following mmi for a very long time but this is my first post. You guys have been my heroes for guides on modding my iphone. I currently am running a 1.1.3 jailbroken iPhone with AT&T. I used poetic_follys installer.app program to soft upgrade my iPhone to 1.1.3. Everything works perfectly! Except there is a 185 mb file taking up all my memory! I only have 3 mb left on that partition. I have looked everywhere on this forum for a solution and have found nothing. I have never used ssh but I'm pretty confident that I could. A solution would be appreciated on deleting that file and freeing up my memory. Thanks for your help mmi community!

Hey Neil,

I did read on one of the posts about a rather "intricate" method of moving that file around and moving some other info to make up to 100mb of space in that partition... Lemme look around and see if I can find that post and I will link it to you!

Mike

Hi!
    I have quite the same problem. Upgrade to 1.1.3, then having only some Megs of memory left on that very partition.

I installed the 1.1.3 soft upg. Cleaner and as far as I can understand, I simply have to remove that "app" again to free the disk space. Well, it seems that did not work somehow.
    I have been trying for hours to find the .bin file in diffenent folders, but I didn't succeed.
    I heard the iPhone has two different partitions. Which are these and where can I see them in my ftp client (using filezilla)?
    If someone was able to tell me which partition is the 300 M partition, I might be able to spcifically look there to find a bigger file that does not "belong" there. Or is there any other way to find out, where the disk space has gone?

Thanks,
    Marc

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

guys, first read my post http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=396
    Then read this one about removing the leftovers from 1.1.3 jailbreak http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=398

I don't see folder "x"

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    Then read this one about removing the leftovers from 1.1.3 jailbreak http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=398
    I dont see folder "x"
    Last edited by dnoc; 2008-01-29 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I can't find the x folder either. Am I missing something?

Cal

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    I believe these method is for Natetrue's Jailbreak only, not the DevTeams. Any insight on removing this file would be great. I'm also in desperate need of space...
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB

somebody please help me out. there is no point in jailbreaking 1.1.3 if i dont have any room to install 3rd party apps! i have tried the 1.1.3 soft upgrade cleaner and it didnt work. if i install open SSH will i be able to open the iphone up and find the file and just delete it? i have never used SSH, so please make it easy for a noob like me. should i move my fonts? i dont see the purpose in that, i want to delete the 185mb file not keep it there and make room. I have searched this forum and ipodtouchfans and hackint0sh and google to no avail. please help me!

that link about the x folder was from the dev team jailbreak installer discussion, that's not what its for?

Install BossTool v.035 from installer app, move fonts, ringtones & apps.
    That should free you up over 100mb.

I only had 4 mb availeable, after bosstool I had 111mb.

Well I just downloaded *everything* from my iPhone via SSH. Everything that was possible to download. I searched the files for one >10 M and I found three. Two fonts and one file which surely is not the 1.1.3 image.

Is there any hidden partition for the OS where this is stored?
    That would explain why I cannot find something. Must be that 300 M partition then...

Cheers
    Marc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neil1138 View Post
    hello my name is neil. I have been following mmi for a very long time but this is my first post. You guys have been my heroes for guides on modding my iphone. I currently am running a 1.1.3 jailbroken iPhone with AT&T. I used poetic_follys installer.app program to soft upgrade my iPhone to 1.1.3. Everything works perfectly! Except there is a 185 mb file taking up all my memory! I only have 3 mb left on that partition. I have looked everywhere on this forum for a solution and have found nothing. I have never used ssh but I'm pretty confident that I could. A solution would be appreciated on deleting that file and freeing up my memory. Thanks for your help mmi community!
    In the simplest terms, SSH into your iPhone, cd to the folder the file is located and type "rm <filename>". That will delete it.

I'm not sure what the file is called or what the folder is called as I haven't gone through the process yet. Maybe tonight.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

Neil1138 (2008-01-29)

the thing is I don't know how to use ssh. What program do I need on my computer? I have windows xp. Please help. I will do anything!
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-01-29 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Please Help. I did the 1.1.3 upgrade and tried every possible fix. I used iphone browser and deleted the image file . I went from 946 mg in "other" to 647mg. I have no idea what is eating this up. I have no music,video or movies installed. I mean NOTHING!!! just my apps..PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

Thanx for your hard work..
    WICKED KITTEN

Music, Videos and Photos will show up under their appropriate headings in iTunes. "Other" data is whatever programs you've installed and their library/preference files. This means Apps, Themes, Dictionaries, Soundbytes, Wallpapers, etc. All of it will show up as "Other" data.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-01-29 at 06:46 PM.

Quite easy:

Turn SSH and WIFI on (Services app)
    Then use an FTP client capable of SFTP (I use filezilla)
    Make a new connection entering your IP of the iPhone (get it from WIFI details)
    Set Servery Typ SFTP via SSH2
    Enter root as username
    Enter alpine as password

Welll, that should do...

And I still do not know how to free some space without using BossTool (that only moves the apps and "steals" 300 M of mp3 files' space.
    I cannot understand why I have hardly anything left from 300 M when all my Apps (I downloaded the whole folder) just use 20 M. Where the hell has that storage gone??

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by msbab; 2008-01-29 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neil1138 View Post
    the thing is I don't know how to use ssh. What program do I need on my computer? I have windows xp. Please help. I will do anything!
    First thing to do is install OpenSSH through the installer.app, if its not there already. You can SSH into your phone through two methods; command line or filebrowser. Most use the filebrowser method through a program called WinSCP. The simplest program to use for command line (where you actually type your commands) is Putty.exe

You will also need a Wifi connection so your iPhone can be assigned an IP address that you can log into. A wireless Home router can provide that.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

you can also use iPhoneBrowser.... thats what i did

I found a folder called "soft upgrade" or "soft upgrade 1.1.3" and deleted the whole thing...

I think it was in /private/var/ but im not sure.... just use iPhoneBrowser and search in the common folders like "/private/var/" "/var/" maybe "/usr/" or "/tmp/".. with iPhoneBrowser its pretty easy to navigate through folders... you shouldnt have to dig too deep to find it.

Hope that help.

I expanded the file structure using iPhoneBrowser, and there is no single folder that says "soft upgrade" or anything like it.

Going through all the trees, it looks more like the entire structure is duplicated, which would suggest that it's not a single file or folder that needs to be removed.

This may be the reason that no one, including the moderators, founders, etc. of this site, have simply answered the question posted dozens of times.

However, I am a moron, so whatever I say is absolutely worthless.

Thanks.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchel For This Useful Post:

stephen007 (2008-01-29)

this is not cool at all. i have searched my iphone everywhere with iphonebrowser and i couldnt find the 185mb file anywhere. if anyone finds the location of the file please help me. thanks for your time guys, thanks

this is not cool at all. i have searched my iphone everywhere with iphonebrowser and i couldnt find the 185mb file anywhere. if anyone finds the location of the file please help me. thanks for your time guys, thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast