Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deleting the 185 mb 1.1.3 Jailbreak file

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker26 View Post
    i got 1.6gb free to put music and stuff on - the apps go on a differnt partition to the music.
    - Just use BossTool to move your apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    - Just use BossTool to move your apps.
    Yeah i know but i shouldnt have to, i want to delete the leftovers from the upgrade aswell.

Can someone tell me how to check how much free space I have left?

I just installed SysInfo, and it says that I have 116MB of physical memory, and that I have only used 89MB. I've already installed a few apps, and that would leave me over 26MB of free space. Why are some people only getting 4MB?
    Last edited by jkfox121; 2008-02-01 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB

Post There is no “185MB 1.1.3 Jailbreak file”
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentpjimenez View Post
    I searched endlessly using WinSCP and SSHing into my iPhone and found that there is no single 185 MB file thats eating up the space in the iPhone!!!!
    Instead, System/Library/Fonts has 88 MBs on it, and System/Library/Frameworks has another 85+ MBs on it too!!! The fonts folder contains files that are like 1mb and its too huge for a font file. i dont know which ones to delete because i might brick my iPhone.
    And not to mention /System/Library/Caches that has around 8 MB of files in it! In summary, it's the System/Library that has all the 185 MB of files in it!!!! Check it out using WinSCP, hit F9 once you select the Library folder under System and click "Calculate" button to get the size of Sytem/Library!!!!
    I came to that conclusion, too. So, to dispel all rumors, I’ll try to be pretty thorough here. Here’s what I have on my iPhone:

Code:
    # cd /
    # df -h
    Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1   267M   247M    17M     94%   /
    devfs           18K    18K     0B    100%   /devfs
    /dev/disk0s2   7.3G   6.3G  1010M     86%   /private/var

# ls -Flsh
    total 42
    8 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin   25B Jan 28 12:19 Applications@ -> /private/var/Applications
    0 drwxrwxr-x   11 root  admin  374B Dec 15 02:53 Library/
    0 drwxr-xr-x    3 root  wheel  102B Dec 15 02:22 System/
    0 drwxr-xr-x   41 root  wheel    1K Jan 29 04:29 bin/
    0 drwxrwxr-t    2 root  admin   68B Dec 12 05:39 cores/
    2 dr-xr-xr-x    3 root  wheel  740B Jan 30 23:51 dev/
    8 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin   11B Dec 15 02:52 etc@ -> private/etc
    8 lrwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel   11B Dec 15 02:52 mach@ -> mach kernel
    0 drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel  646B Jan 29 03:16 sbin/
    0 -rw-------    1 root  admin    0B Jan 29 03:39 sms-migration-NjmVJJ.db
    0 -rw-------    1 root  admin    0B Jan 29 03:39 sms-migration-SqqJ3k.db
    8 lrwxr-xr-x    8 root  wheel  272B Jan 29 04:29 usr/
    8 lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin   11B Dec 15 02:52 var@ -> private/var
    So:
    • The first partition (disk0s1) is 267MB big and is mounted at the root directory (/). This is where the 3rd party apps are usually installed.
    • The second partition (disk0s2) is 7.3GB big and is mounted at /private/var. This is where the users (root, mobile) home folders are, and thus all the media files.

Pretty logical, huh? So what I did was to move /Applications, originally in the root directory, to /private/var, and created an Applications symlink to /private/var/Applications in the root directory. Now both the 3rd party applications and the home folders share the 7.3GB partition. Alright, so let's check the used disk space:

Code:
    # du -skh *
    4.0K    Applications
    8.7M    Library
    191M    System
    5.1M    bin
      0B    cores
    1.0K    dev
    4.0K    etc
    4.0K    mach
    6.3G    private
    716K    sbin
      0B    sms-migration-NjmVJJ.db
      0B    sms-migration-SqqJ3k.db
    4.0K    tmp
     35M    usr
    4.0K    var
    As vincentpjimenez pointed out, /System has 191MB inside its only subdirectory, Library. Getting in there, I read:

Code:
    # cd /System/Library
    # du -skh *
     4.0K    ApplePTP
     4.0K    AppleUSBDevice
     3.5M    Audio
     3.2M    Caches
     228K    Carrier Bundles
     3.6M    CoreServices
     2.2M    Extensions
      32K    Filesystems
      85M    Fonts
      79M    Frameworks
      84K    Internet Plug-Ins
     8.9M    KeyboardDictionaries
      84K    LaunchDaemons
      68K    Lockdown
     1.9M    PreferenceBundles
     772K    PrivateFrameworks
    1020K    SystemConfiguration
     1.3M    VideoDecoders
    As you can see, none of these folders could contain the mythical 185MB file, and I'm pretty sure everyone agrees there's nothing in /System/Library that can be harmlessly deleted. However, you could (as BossTool does, I guess) move /System/Library/Fonts to some place in /private/var and symlink it in its original place — as this would give you an additional 85MB on disk0s1.

The question is: why this "Other" used space didn't show up as that in the previous firmware versions? Or is it that we just hadn't noticed until now?

See that I'm running low of free space on disk0s1 but I haven't had any problems ever since I moved /Applications to /private/var. That "Other" became a non-issue.

I hope this helps.
    Quitting wastes efforts.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    the file exist yo guys just dont know where its at the dev team says the file is there and we must delete it and i myself believe them over you because they made the jailbreak. also if it doesnt exist why am i so low on disk space wen i nlye have about 20 apps i had over 60 apps b4 with space for more

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iitycoocii View Post
    the file exist yo guys just dont know where its at the dev team says the file is there and we must delete it and i myself believe them over you because they made the jailbreak. also if it doesnt exist why am i so low on disk space wen i nlye have about 20 apps i had over 60 apps b4 with space for more
    first off you are wrong, and thus, i doubt the dev team said it

there is no file. it is an error with the os assuming it is there. if you are on 7.6 go back to 7.5 and the problem is gone.

there are also some commands that can be run in terminal which takes care of it.

we need an official post by the DevTeam saying Look.... open SSH and delete this this and this. They just need to tell us what to delete. It shouldnt be that hard if they know what files were copied during the install.

we need an official post by the DevTeam saying Look.... open SSH and delete this this and this. They just need to tell us what to delete. It shouldnt be that hard if they know what files were copied during the install.

I'd also like to see an offical response from the devs on the 185M file and how to delete it.

so how do we get this from them?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    "Use Installer to Jailbreak 1.1.3 - MMi Installer Repo" check the thread and in the FAQ they say that you must delete the 185mb restore file. so yea they do say the file exist

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iitycoocii View Post
    "Use Installer to Jailbreak 1.1.3 - MMi Installer Repo" check the thread and in the FAQ they say that you must delete the 185mb restore file. so yea they do say the file exist
    we know it exists(duh) we want to know where it is

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There is NO 185Mb upgrade file to delete in Dev Team's jailbreak. You can go on and hope to find it, or use your own brain and realize it's a myth.

Come on, it's a filesystem: IF YOU CANNOT FIND IT, IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Dev Team's jailbreak downloads the upgrade file (which is a disk image by the way) to the phone, then unpacks and patches it, then creates a new system partition dumping that patched image file to the filesystem. In OSX image files can have arbitrary sizes and, not to waste disk space, they are usually only slightly bigger than the data they contain. That means it is very likely that jailbreak ends up with a filesystem that is just a little bigger than all its data, which in turn means ALMOST NO FREE SPACE LEFT. Got it?

Quote Originally Posted by ae303hf View Post
    There is NO 185Mb upgrade file to delete in Dev Team's jailbreak. You can go on and hope to find it, or use your own brain and realize it's a myth.

Come on, it's a filesystem: IF YOU CANNOT FIND IT, IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Dev Team's jailbreak downloads the upgrade file (which is a disk image by the way) to the phone, then unpacks and patches it, then creates a new system partition dumping that patched image file to the filesystem. In OSX image files can have arbitrary sizes and, not to waste disk space, they are usually only slightly bigger than the data they contain. That means it is very likely that jailbreak ends up with a filesystem that is just a little bigger than all its data, which in turn means ALMOST NO FREE SPACE LEFT. Got it?
    I don't agree with this. Must be wrong :-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Prove me wrong then ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ae303hf View Post
    Prove me wrong then ;-)
    he is right.. this file does not exist, and no offense, but before u ever tell someone they are wrong, do some research on the subject.

God I wish the first reply for this 3 page thread was either

"Delete this file, bye"

or

"File does not exist, bye"

Not having to read thru 3 pages of weirdass theories on how to obtain more space.

Quote Originally Posted by macky801 View Post
    he is right.. this file does not exist, and no offense, but before u ever tell someone they are wrong, do some research on the subject.
    He got the sarcasm...you obviously didn't - i'll try and dull it down a shade for u next time...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

OK, time to add my 2 cents... THERE IS NO 185MB FILE it doesn't exist so stop asking about deleting it. The file system size is being misreported by iTunes 7.6 (this appears to not be an issue with earlier iTunes). At first I thought there was a symlink in /private/var/root/mobile/media pointing into /System which was fooling iTunes into thinking there was another 185 mb of space used. Having temporarily removed all symlinks and even moving the fonts into /private/var I didn't notice a difference. I still think it's either a symlink being followed or a bad blocks. This is really reminding me of the "face" on Mars. No matter how many times you tell people it's only a mountain they still think it's a face.

Here is the proof:

1. ssh into phone
    2. find / -size +100000 (searches for any file > 100mb on entire iphone)

Guess what? No 185mb file. My opinion is that iTunes 7.6 is reporting "/System" as "Other". Another test, remove 7.6 and install 7.5. Guess what?? No more 185mb reported as "Other"
    Last edited by imode; 2008-02-07 at 12:22 PM.

One thing I had mentioned earlier about the whole 'missing' space was the possible partition sizes, so I got someone still on 1.1.2 to do a df -h and here are the results.

1.1.2, System = 300Megs
    1.1.3, System = 267Megs

1.1.2, Media = 7.3Gigs
    1.1.3, Media = 7.3Gigs

So there does seem to be a missing chunk of 33Megs from System?

For those "missing" space, did your soft-update process finish normally, (reboot on its own), or did it lock up and you had to reboot it yourselves?

For me, I had to reboot (so +1 on forced reboot)

EDIT: Actually, it might not even be 33megs are missing, it could be that the new features just take up that much more room, leaving less free space for the partition to allocate.
    Last edited by IvanRaide; 2008-02-05 at 05:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast