Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deleting the 185 mb 1.1.3 Jailbreak file

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    I expanded the file structure using iPhoneBrowser, and there is no single folder that says "soft upgrade" or anything like it.

Going through all the trees, it looks more like the entire structure is duplicated, which would suggest that it's not a single file or folder that needs to be removed.

This may be the reason that no one, including the moderators, founders, etc. of this site, have simply answered the question posted dozens of times.

However, I am a moron, so whatever I say is absolutely worthless.

Thanks.
    i wouldn't mess with the "duplicated" file tree. if you use winscp, you'll notice that these aren't actual folders but just shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by msbab View Post
    Quite easy:

Turn SSH and WIFI on (Services app)
    Then use an FTP client capable of SFTP (I use filezilla)
    Make a new connection entering your IP of the iPhone (get it from WIFI details)
    Set Servery Typ SFTP via SSH2
    Enter root as username
    Enter alpine as password

Welll, that should do...

And I still do not know how to free some space without using BossTool (that only moves the apps and "steals" 300 M of mp3 files' space.
    I cannot understand why I have hardly anything left from 300 M when all my Apps (I downloaded the whole folder) just use 20 M. Where the hell has that storage gone??

Cheers
    Marc
    are you saying that BossTool is what steals 300M from Other. if that is the case, then we should be able to narrow down the problem. Is it just that BossTool has allocated 300M for itself? Or is it that something BossTool "moved" is taking up so much space? either way, it makes the search a lot smaller

Quite easy:

Enter root as username
    Enter alpine as password

Welll, that should do...

And I still do not know how to free some space without using BossTool (that only moves the apps and "steals" 300 M of mp3 files' space.
    I cannot understand why I have hardly anything left from 300 M when all my Apps (I downloaded the whole folder) just use 20 M. Where the hell has that storage gone??

Cheers
    Marc
    are you saying that BossTool is what steals 300M from Other. if that is the case, then we should be able to narrow down the problem. Is it just that BossTool has allocated 300M for itself? Or is it that something BossTool "moved" is taking up so much space? either way, it makes the search a lot smaller

Quite easy:

Enter root as username
    Enter alpine as password

Welll, that should do...

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by ab03; 2008-01-30 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[duplicate - this server is maddening]

So far, nobody has apparently been able to figure it out.

Bosstool does NOT help the 4MB problem.

The Nate 1.1.3 Soft Upgrade Cleaner does NOT work.

There's no single large file that anyone can find. It's (according to some) a problem with the size of the partition or the file creating it. It doesn't do this with Nate's upgrade because the file/partition/whatever is the right size and the system recognizes it properly (paraphrasing). The problem is, Nate's upgrade doesn't work for &^%$ for other things, like iTunes media and previews.

I have a theory. Put iPhone in recovery mode then look into it with iphonebrowser. You might be able to see the other partition in order to delete the 185mb file :-)

Default I FOUND THE 185 MB MYSTERY FILES - Note: FILES!!!
    I searched endlessly using WinSCP and SSHing into my iPhone and found that there is no single 185 MB file thats eating up the space in the iPhone!!!!
    Instead, System/Library/Fonts has 88 MBs on it, and System/Library/Frameworks has another 85+ MBs on it too!!! The fonts folder contains files that are like 1mb and its too huge for a font file. i dont know which ones to delete because i might brick my iPhone.
    And not to mention /System/Library/Caches that has around 8 MB of files in it! In summary, it's the System/Library that has all the 185 MB of files in it!!!! Check it out using WinSCP, hit F9 once you select the Library folder under System and click "Calculate" button to get the size of Sytem/Library!!!!

I'd also like a definitive fix for this one - I've upgraded using dev team soft upgrade and have about 1mb space left.

Is there anything other than bosstool i can use directly from the phone?

please fix this shite. i need to have space to store apps. why did the DevTeam make a jailbreak that doesnt clean itself up.

Try - Var/mobile/media/softupgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonnpd View Post
    Try - Var/mobile/media/softupgrade
    Tried but cannot see the 'softupgrade' file, wonder why some of us can't see it?

Excuse my ignorance guys....but how does this file relate to the upgrade? Trying to understand how deleting it doesnt delete the actual 1.1.3 upgrade i just did...?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Why don't we just admit it? When you run out of meaningful hypothesis, what's left (doesn't matter how stupid it may seem) has to be true: Dev Team jailbreak somehow messes with partition size resulting in little or no free space left.

My solution so far is to remove unneeded dictionaries from /System/Library/KeyboardDictionaries, that's freeing up to 7000+ blocks (around 3,5 Megs). Not a huge improvement but I don't need tons of applications, and comes for free anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay they released yet Another "Official 1.1.3 Upgrader" why they didnt fix that problem in that release

I'm starting to wonder about the partition sizes as well. If you do a 'df' command in putty or terminal, what do you get? Here is what I get

Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1 545856 514080 26320 95% /
    devfs 36 36 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk0s2 15244736 13148744 2095992 86% /private/var

Does everyone's partitions sizes match? Also, did anyone have the installer lock up during the firmware upgrades and had to reset and when it came back up you were in 1.1.3? Mine did this, maybe the script didn't get to complete 'fixing' things up?

im going back 1.1.2. 1.1.3 is a piece of shite. my partition is jacked up and i want to delete the file that i cant find. my settings dont save and its pissing me off. lolo,.oplo, sorry i had to get it out. fix this shite

tht'll only work if you didn't flash baseband
    i did.
    i can't revert to any previous version with out getting invalid sim problems.
    on at&t

You can use the baseband downgrader by i.unlock.no

My guess:
    And its just a guess:
    Have you ever deleted a picture from your pictures folder via windows/OS X when your phone is docked (through windows explorer or finder) then go into your photos on the iphone and the deleted file is still there as a blank file? Happened to me a few times. You have to actually delete the files through the photos app on the iphone or it will not physically remove the file, it just blanks it. Perhaps the same thing happening here, since the file is not being removed by any "official" apple means, the OS still thinks the file is there, even though it is not. Just a thought, but what do i know...

why not just delete some music/photos, I have 45+ apps on a Nate's jb 1.1.3 iPhone no problems at all.

its taking up a lot of space. i just went back to 1.1.2 anyway... its great, themes and everything. go back before its too late. this way i am ready for a 1.1.3 jailbreak that actually works

Quote Originally Posted by minitrk View Post
    why not just delete some music/photos, I have 45+ apps on a Nate's jb 1.1.3 iPhone no problems at all.
    i got 1.6gb free to put music and stuff on - the apps go on a differnt partition to the music.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast