Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [1.1.3] Time Zone Problem

Default [1.1.3] Time Zone Problem
    Hi there,

I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything similar but if there is a thread about this, please direct me to it and I'll cancel this one.

Some background: my iPhone is 3.9BL and initially it's on 1.1.2. First I tried the Dev Team Manual Solution but it hanged at the last step. After I hard reset, it booted and hanged at Apple icon. So I restored 1.1.1, then updated 1.1.2 and everything worked again. Next I tried the Dev Team Installer Solution and it worked perfectly (well, almost).

The problem: after updated to 1.1.3, it's time zone was set to Cupertino. I changed it to Malaysia (where I am now) but the time didn't change. So I manually changed the time to the correct time. However, when I check the SMS, all the timings are 16 hours behind (Cupertino is 16hr behind Malaysia). When I go to World Clock, the time for Cupertino is the same as the local time here. I assumed when I changed the time manually in Settings, it actually changed the time for Cupertino.

Anyone else is experiencing this?
    Last edited by fonesaya; 2008-01-29 at 07:32 AM.

hey dude,

yeah, i've got the same problem and a lot of official 1.1.3 (non-jailbroken) users have the same, too and in Apple's support-community there seems to be just one way to fix it .... restore your iphone.

for legal (non-JB) customers an act of 10 minutes ... for us junkies an act of hours ... damn you apple developers! You're on the way to become buggy like MICROSOFT!

@ topic: i'm looking for a fix .... can't be that difficult!

hanson

Actually I've found the solution in hackint0sh but forgot to update it here. It was a permission issue and all I did was ssh into iPhone and run this command:
    chmod 777 /var/db/timezone

source: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26074

Hope that helps you too

allright dude, just checked out a fix for this crap ...

SSH into your phone using a terminal (for example the one in WinSCP) and type following:

chmod 777 var/db/timezone

now hit return and that's it, should work fine now and save the timezone properly.

hanson

edit: fonesaya was a bit faster ... good job guys!
    Last edited by hanson; 2008-01-31 at 10:03 AM.

Default Cupertino Time Fix
    Another fix for the Cupertino (default) time problem:

Use WinSCP to connect to your iphone. Navigate to /var/db/timezone. Rename the shortcut 'localtime' to 'localtimeold' or something. Create a new shortcut called 'localtime' and point it to /usr/share/zoneinfo/<your timezone>

In my case it is /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

This fixes timezone problem and ordering of text messages!

Ender

6. The Following User Says Thank You to E7NDR For This Useful Post:

Airblade (2008-02-12)

Quote Originally Posted by E7NDR View Post
    Another fix for the Cupertino (default) time problem:

Use WinSCP to connect to your iphone. Navigate to /var/db/timezone. Rename the shortcut 'localtime' to 'localtimeold' or something. Create a new shortcut called 'localtime' and point it to /usr/share/zoneinfo/<your timezone>

In my case it is /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London

This fixes timezone problem and ordering of text messages!

Ender
    work perfectly, many thanks!