Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did i brick my Iphone? Please help!

Default Did i brick my Iphone? Please help!
    Hi Guys...Ok heres the situation..

I had an Iphone which was unlocked and version 1.0.2.
    I wanted to upgrade it to 1.1.4. i read some guides online that said first i need to install BSD Subsystem and download the Virginizer tool though installer. Then after it is virginized, run a restore and use ziphone to unlock it...

However i was unable to dowload BSD subsystem....so i downloaded APPTAPP and tryed running it however i got an error message and the install stopped. Now when i i turn on my phone its stuck in restore mode...

What should i do now? Should i connect it to itunes and restore it? Will this cause problems as i did not virginize the phone first?

Someone please tell me what should be my next step.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Download the 1.1.4 firmware from the download section and use that to restore to 1.1.4. Then use iLiberty (not ziphone) to unlock/jailbreak. Report back if you have any issues.

Did your phone turn red and now weighs 2 lbs.? If not then you're not bricked. Download the 2.0 firmware from here http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite....7_Restore.ipsw
    Then put your phone in DFU mode. Connect your phone to iTunes and hold both the home and sleep/wake buttons down for 10 seconds then release the sleep/wake button while still holding the home button until iTunes recognizes an iPhone in recovery mode. Your screen should be all black if you are in DFU. If you see the connect to iTunes with the cord then you are not in DFU. Do it again. Once you are in DFU you want to shift+click PC or option+click Mac restore and find the 2.0 firmware that you downloaded. It should do it's thing and you should be on 2.0 now. Then you want to use Pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Download the 1.1.4 firmware from the download section and use that to restore to 1.1.4. Then use iLiberty (not ziphone) to unlock/jailbreak. Report back if you have any issues.
    Hey Poseidon, is it better for people when they are still on very early firmwares to update to 1.1.4 first then make the jump to 2.0? Or is it just as safe to go right up to 2.0? I'm not sure about this cause I always updated everytime a new FW came and jailbroke.
    Last edited by dirtybird1977; 2008-08-08 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks for the help...downloading the 1.1.4. "IPSW" file from the downloads section file and im pretty sure i got my iphone in DFU mode...its connected to Itunes and has a black screen took me like 5 tries to get it but i think it works....Then i just ctrl+click "restore" and browse to the downloaded file right?

Thanks again guys! U made my day!

Correct. You then need to do the jailbreak / unlock
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Ok i updated the software as you guys said....

After it was done the iphone asked me to enter a valid unlocked sim card so i did that...

Now all im seeing is a screen with a picture of the itunes logo and a i phone cable...is the phone still in recovery mode?

If so how do i get it out of recovery mode?

Thanks

if you have restored to 1.1.4, download iLiberty and follow the guide in the wiki to hacktivate it/ jailbreak it and unlock it.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Ive restored to 1.1.4 i think...at least i tunes said it was succesful. But now its stuck in recovery mode...all i see on the screen is the itunes CD logo plus an ipod cable...
    Do i need to take it out of recovery mode first? Or can i just go ahead and start unlocking it with i liberty?

Also i was planning to use "IPlus" as it comes with a Brazil option to install portugues language on my iphone...can i use IPLUS or is there a special reason why i should use i liberty???

i haven't used iplus but iliberty+ simply has a button to kick out of recovery mode. that's all that button does, you could then use iplus (which may even have a similar button) also if you get iliberty+ check in advanced and the online packages, it may even have the language pack.

Thanks

your phone sounds like it needs to be actiivated, a legitimate sim would just pass the phone through tiunes automatically, you need to hacktivate using iLiberty+, then run the jailbreak + unlock, just folow the guide.

Never used iPlus but can confirm iLiberty+ works a treat and is the best rated jailbreak/unlock for windows up to FW 1.1.4
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker