Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing IMEI on iPhone 3G

Question Changing IMEI on iPhone 3G
    Hey everyone!

As an employee of AT&T Mobility, I am not able to get the iPhone 3G.

But, needless to say, I am addicted to these things, and had to get one of my own.

So I bought one on a new contract, etc etc etc.

Now I have the phone and picked up one of those i-smartphone 2008 cards (which works perfectly btw).

But the only issue is that on my ANR (employee) line, i CAN NOT have the the iphone 3g. And AT&T is very good @ tracking by IMEI..

I had the 2g iphone and i used Ziphone to change the imei to my old sony ericsson w580i.

Now I want to do the same with the 3G... but no sites seem to have it...

Im not using this for illegal purposes... I have proof I am an agent (I posted a thread with images of POS.com I).

Just please someone help me out... even if it means contacting me outside of MMI... I have had this phone for almost a month now and cant use it... its killing me.

Thanks!

you know its highly illegal to change the imei of a phone dont you?

thank you for that. It is also illegal to download music, but everyone in the world does it.

that's not answering my question.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billj63 View Post
    thank you for that. It is also illegal to download music, but everyone in the world does it.

that's not answering my question.
    illegal to download music???? That's a bit of a blanket statement

You said you're not using it for illegal purposes. That's like saying you want to rob a bank but you're not gonna use the loot for illegal purposes
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

AT&T won't let you have an iPhone because you're an employee? That's pretty f'd up right there. Doesn't that infringe on your rights as a consumer?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    illegal to download music???? That's a bit of a blanket statement

You said you're not using it for illegal purposes. That's like saying you want to rob a bank but you're not gonna use the loot for illegal purposes
    I use illegal very loosely. What I mean is that i did not steal the phone and am trying to change the IMEI after it was reported stolen.
    No need to be such a ****..

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    AT&T won't let you have an iPhone because you're an employee? That's pretty f'd up right there. Doesn't that infringe on your rights as a consumer?
    Once employed by a company, you are no longer considered a consumer, but an employee.
    Last edited by billj63; 2008-08-09 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billj63 View Post
    Once employed by a company, you are no longer considered a consumer, but an employee.
    AT&T feeding you that? Unless you signed an agreement to that effect when you were hired, it wouldn't hold up in court buddy.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    AT&T feeding you that? Unless you signed an agreement to that effect when you were hired, it wouldn't hold up in court buddy.
    haha no i didnt sign anything....

but i am not really able to lose my job for suing at&t right now lol

I just want to use this damn phone.
    I used the 2G iphone by changing the imei with ziphone.. never had any problems.

We are ALLOWED to use the iphone 3G... but we can't keep our employee rate plan. We would have to switch onto a regular acct...
    but to be honest... $25/month for 2500 mins and unl international (incl usa of course) is not something that i really want to give up...

I am thinking it may be best to get my hands on a 2G iphone until Zibri gets his program back up to change the imei.

My problem is just that like... I know it is illegal to change imeis... but if i was on ANY forum about programs, and i posted asking "does anyone know any serials for microsoft office on mac" i would get 10 different serials as responses... but when asking about changing the imei, it is just dismissed as being illegal.

what if you downgrade to 1.1.4, use ziphone to change the imei, reload 2.0.1, then use winpwn to jailbreak/unlock?

I dont think you can downgrade the iphone 3G...

but thats a very good idea for my 1st gen iphone

wait... doesn't the 2.0.0/.1 use a different bootloader/baseband?

very simple solution put it if your wife's or mom's name

Quote Originally Posted by cadsii View Post
    very simple solution put it if your wife's or mom's name
    How is that a solution? That solves nothing. He wants to change his imei to another POS phone so he can use his 3G on his employee plan...
    8GB 3G iPhone

• Universal-Sim 5.5 Unlock
    • 2.1 Pwned with Pwnage Tool

13. The Following User Says Thank You to glustic For This Useful Post:

billj63 (2008-08-22)

Quote Originally Posted by glustic View Post
    How is that a solution? That solves nothing. He wants to change his imei to another POS phone so he can use his 3G on his employee plan...

thanks for understanding what i mean.

and very good question... how would that solve anything?

i undersatnd what your saying i know many people with the same issue.

i am in the same boat here i canciled my 3G data service and i keep getting text messages from att saying

"AT&T free msg: iPhone 3G requires a data plan.
    Please call 611 to add or AT&T will add a dataplan to
    your account within 24 hours."

I need the change the Imei so att will think i have a diffrent phone and will stop puting the data plan on and i can stop takeing it off

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow so many people can ask so many questions to satisfy whatever it is that they need but no one can give the guy an answer... I am sorrry I don't think I can offer any more assistance then the rest of these people that have gained some insight in to your personal life and your employers rules..

What I can say is that at the moment I don't believe its possible to change the IMEI.. I am not a 100% but I do believe the imei has to do with the baseband and if we are unable to unlock them then at the moment it might not be possible to change the imei either..

I may totally be wrong but I figured I might try to offer some type of a suggestion or answer... Anyhow good luck.. and I know where he's coming from because even in Canada on the Rogers network if you are an employee of Rogers you are not able to own an iphone yet.

Lighter

got the same problem. have a 3g iphone v2.0.2 and need to change the imei(and maybe the serial no?) so it cant be tracked.
    it's amasing that although some people cant help but they feel they have the right to judge and pass verdict on why one wants to change the imei.
    anyway havent been able to find a proper solution although have tried quite a few. if i come across one i'll let you know. or if you come across one sooner please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mvangogh View Post
    what if you downgrade to 1.1.4, use ziphone to change the imei, reload 2.0.1, then use winpwn to jailbreak/unlock?

NO!

You CAN NOT, I say again, CAN NOT downgrade a 3G iPhone to use 1.1.4 nor would it be wise to be the first person to try and prove my statement wrong.

Unless ZiPhone comes out with an upgrade to work with the current FW, or another app is released that can hide the IMEI number, for now you're stuck.

I don't like the fact that at&t can tell what phone I'm on when I call them, since I switch my SIM with a Tilt for work on occasion. Also, since at&t would have to actually check to see if you're violating this rule of theirs, just like checking to see if people are tethering, I'd go ahead and get the phone anyway. Are they really gonna terminate you from your job, and is the minimum wage really worth it. Not like you can't go to Verizon and get another one right? -fin

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    I'd go ahead and get the phone anyway. Are they really gonna terminate you from your job, and is the minimum wage really worth it. Not like you can't go to Verizon and get another one right? -fin
    I get where you are coming from.
    They would not fire me (especially considering i am NOT working for a company owned store)
    They WILL, however, covert my ANR line into an IRU.

And i cant go to Verizon because i am one of the guys that opened this store

thanks!

Hey... I want to just throw this out there....

My coworker uses a European Nokia N95...
    It comes up on the acct as an "UNKNOWN" (unable to track IMEI), but my higher ups couldnt care less...

If I were to get a European iPhone 3G... would AT&T be able to track the IMEI?....

Im thinking that might be my best bet...

Its worth a try at least...?

They are the SAME phone... Might as well sell this one (on ebay for a LOT more than i got it for... oh and btw when i cancelled AT&T didnt charge me ETF... ) and get the euro.
    And then if it doesnt work, i can still change the IMEI whenever they unlock it.

What do you guys think?

AT&T cant register european imeis can they?
    Last edited by billj63; 2008-09-03 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ZiPhone did not truly change the IMEI, it is illegal to do so. Your IMEI can not be changed on the 3G at all as far as i know, not even spoofed.

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    ZiPhone did not truly change the IMEI, it is illegal to do so. Your IMEI can not be changed on the 3G at all as far as i know, not even spoofed.
    It pretty much masked the IMEI.
    and it is not illegal in the USA.

So would AT&T understand a European imei?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast