Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: one last plea for help..

Default one last plea for help..
    Hi guys I wont bore you with the history but I have searched a lot of threads on a lot of sites but being a newbie I get bogged down in tech speak and I am unsure of what to do as I do not want to ruin my iphone. I have windows XP, an old (2G?) iphone that came pre unlocked and jailbroken running 1.1.4. I would be very very appreciative if someone could answer the following questions:

1) If i click restore on itunes with my iphone connected what will it remove, is it just apps and music or will I lose email configs and phone contacts etc. Also will it reverse the unlocking and jailbreaking thats already occured?

2) why do so many people talk about downgrading from 2.0 to 1.1.4 when surely 2.0 is the newer (and better?) version of the software.

3) due to installer playing up I want to restore my iphone. Is it worth updating my firmware at the same time (I'd like app store and cydia) to 2.0? Is it still possible to jailbreak 2.0?

4) finally is there a written or video guide for restoring and updating my firmware to 2.0? Ive heard about all of these programs (pwned, Iliberty, zipphone) but am not sure which to use.

please help

Thanks

1) if u plug into itunes, u will lose the music unless its urs and selected to be synced to ur iphone, and you wil lose your jailbroken apps. what will stay is your contacts, texts, and other vitals
    2) people talk about downgrading from 2.0-1.1.4 because it is not as stable as 1.1.4 and also because some people want there old jailbroken apps which havnt been ported to 2.0 yet.
    3) Yeah you can jailbreak 2.0 (not to be confused with the latest 2.0.1) with pwnage tool, and do a custom restore. Just upgrade and see if ya like it if not there are downgrading guides all of this place :-p
    4) Search the forums before ya post, its in here im tellin ya.

(hit thanks if i helped :-p)
    17" MacBook Pro
    G5
    iPhone 3GS 16G 3.1 Jailbroken//AT&T
    follow me on [email protected]

thank you so much its so good to get some answers! I have one more question, if I want to restore do I just click it in iTunes or do I need to start phone in recovery mode?
    You say I'll lose my apps. Does that include installer? As without that I dont know how to get anything on the phone. Also will I need to jailbreak and unlock again? (this is all if I remain on 1.1.4 for now, not upgrade)

Thanks again so much. (will click thanks when on my pc)

Quote Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
    thank you so much its so good to get some answers! I have one more question, if I want to restore do I just click it in iTunes or do I need to start phone in recovery mode?
    You say I'll lose my apps. Does that include installer? As without that I dont know how to get anything on the phone. Also will I need to jailbreak and unlock again? (this is all if I remain on 1.1.4 for now, not upgrade)

Thanks again so much. (will click thanks when on my pc)
    if u want to restore, your phone must be in DFU mode.
    u will lose everything u downloaded, including installer
    u will need to jailbreak/unlock again...dont use ziphone

excellent thanks so much. And DFU mode is achieved by starting up the iPhone whilst connected to the pc and with the home button held?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

hold the home button until it powers off,
    itunes should be open.
    press and hold the power button for 1 second to get the phone to start.
    as soon as you release power the apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the power and home button.
    hold both until the screen goes completely black then let off the power button,
    continue to hold the home button until itunes says you need to restore.
    you successfully entered DFU mode.

now for my 2 cents.

forget about 2.0 and 2.01 for a while.
    Nothing worth a darn works yet.
    the geniuses behind the iphone unlocks JUST got it all sorted out. now the apps need to be converted to 2.0
    this takes time.
    you should go to 1.1.4
    use iliberty to jailbreak and activate
    and bootneuter to unlock.
    then enjoy all the amazing things you can do with this phone.

oh and the app store,

1.1.4 has a free program for everything thats on the app store.
    and every lil cool feature 2.0 has,
    1.1.4 has a free app for it.

i had 2.0 for a day.

i will not go to 2.0 until it is 3.0
    worst Firmware to date!!!!!
    slow, crashes all the time, takes 5 minutes to boot up!, and i know everyone is gonna say,
    "2.0.1 fixes all these bugs!!!"

yeah well i just read 2 pages of complaints already about 2.0.1 because yeah it fixed those probs but now no one has wifi!!!!
    it says connected but it isnt!

1.1.4 is amazing.

reccomende apps in installer:

touchpad pro (omg, love it, cant live without it! destroys itunes remote app!!! and its not on 2.0)
    simport (same thing in 2.0 settings menu)
    simplify media (all i can say is, i HAD an 8gb iphone, now i have a TERRABYTE iphone)
    fontswap (on 2.0 already because it is a really simple app)
    video recorder (you can get the hacked (free) version but i won't tell you where)
    drummer (make custom beat machine sets)
    iSlsk (limewire for the iphone)
    springdial (got a pic saved for your girlfriends number, touch her pic on the springboard and it calls her)
    summerboard (i dont like winterboard for 2.0, thats just me)
    customize with freeboard (five icons at the bottom instead of four!!!)

pm me for more info!

tattoo jack thanks so much. What a fresh response. I hope this thread helps others out as much as it has me.
    Thanks sgainso much for your reply.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tikigod19 For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (2008-08-10)

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i just read 2 pages of complaints already about 2.0.1 because yeah it fixed those probs but now no one has wifi!!!! it says connected but it isnt!
    Not everyone is having this problem on PWN'd 2.0.1. My WiFi is working perfectly.

Some well used apps on 2.0.1, Intelliscreen, MacMan, BossPrefs, and the customization via Winterboard I like better than Summerboard and Customize (and I used both). Once Saurik ties in a GUI on winterboard, it really will be nice!

I liked 1.1.4, but I'm really liking 2.0.1 much better. All the lag of 2.0 seems to be gone for me. There are many good apps on the App Store that are free, just have to search a bit. A couple of good paid apps too. No regrets for being on PWN'd 2.0.1 here.

Quote Originally Posted by hartphoto View Post
    Not everyone is having this problem on PWN'd 2.0.1. My WiFi is working perfectly.

Some well used apps on 2.0.1, Intelliscreen, MacMan, BossPrefs, and the customization via Winterboard I like better than Summerboard and Customize (and I used both). Once Saurik ties in a GUI on winterboard, it really will be nice!

I liked 1.1.4, but I'm really liking 2.0.1 much better. All the lag of 2.0 seems to be gone for me. There are many good apps on the App Store that are free, just have to search a bit. A couple of good paid apps too. No regrets for being on PWN'd 2.0.1 here.

hmm thanks for that.. what ive decided to do is to install 2.0 first and see how i find it, as it seems its quite easy to restore it back to 1.1.4 if im not happy.

I am slightly confused by the 2.0.1.. what does the .1 at the end mean? Is that the version of firmware of version of winpwn?

Could you just clarify what software i'd need to use to give 2.0 a go on my first gen iphone. Also where do you actually get the firmware files from?

Thanks again

I agree. Updated last night, and I'm having no issues with wifi. And personally I love 2.0.1, it seems to be very stable and the text messaging very fast. I had all sorts of problems with 2.0 when I first got it, but the update was worth it to me.

As of right now I'm having no issues, but I've only been using it for a day so who knows what bugs lie in there. But so far so good.

2.0.1 <-Apple's latest version of code for 1st gen iPhone (also for the 3G iPhone)

2.0.2 <-Dev Team latest version of PWNAGE for MAC

2.0.4 <- Latest version of WinPwn

2.0.1 <-Apple's latest version of code for 1st gen iPhone (also for the 3G iPhone)

2.0.2 <-Dev Team latest version of PWNAGE for MAC

2.0.4 <- Latest version of WinPwn
    So I can use winpwn2.0.4 to install firmware 2.0.1? Is that correct? Also is there only one version of the firmware? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks.. I'm learning

Thanks

So I can use winpwn2.0.4 to install firmware 2.0.1? Is that correct? Also is there only one version of the firmware? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks.. I'm learning

ok,
    install itunes 7.7 (new one)
    download and install winpwn 2.0.4
    (after u uninstall any other version of winpwn),
    plug in phone,
    ctrl, alt, delete, to task manager and end the ituneshelper.exe process,
    open winpwn,
    click browse ipsw,
    find your 2.0.1 stock ipsw (1st gen will be iPhone1,1_2.0.1 3G will be iPhone1,2_2.0.1)
    then click ipsw builder,
    IF NOT ON AT&T
    in applications tab select cydia, installer, and youtube activation,
    then on the tab for advanced select,
    activate,
    enable baseband update,
    neuter bootloader,
    upgrade to 4.6,
    unlock baseband,
    autodelete bootneuter.app

then select where you saved the bootloader files, search on here for the download. (3.9 AND 4.6)

then click build ipsw.

wait for completion,
    then click ipwner,
    if it asks for an ipsw select the custom you just made.

close winpwn.

open itunes and set phone into restore mode
    NOT DFU MODE
    you should see the connect to itunes logo (or whatever custom logo u used before now) not the black screen

hold shift and click restore in itunes.

iphone will reboot,

bootneuter will run and close.
    enjoy your new phone!

tattoojack, again that is excellent, exactly what I was after. Just one question.
    When you say shift and click restore in itunes.. does this not then open up a box asking me to locate the firmware? As this is not mentioned in your guide... I am a bit worried i will get to this stage and not know what to select when the box opens up...
    thanks again!
    Last edited by tikigod19; 2008-08-10 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd tick the youtube box and activate. You don't tick them if you are using a genuine supported carrier now.

Quote Originally Posted by duff man View Post
    I'd tick the youtube box and activate. You don't tick them if you are using a genuine supported carrier now.
    thanks, i sucessfully created the ispw but i got an error 1604 when i restored... Is there any easy way to resolve the 1604 error?

edit: I solved the 1604 by reverting back to itunes 7.5, but now i get error 1601!!! Things are never simple..

Can anyone help with 1601 error? There doesnt seem to be as much on google about this. I am stuck until I can solve this.

Thanks
    Last edited by tikigod19; 2008-08-10 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

a search up top for "error 1604" or "error 1601" will work wonders.
    seeing as how there are about 15 diffrent reasons for each depending on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    a search up top for "error 1604" or "error 1601" will work wonders.
    seeing as how there are about 15 diffrent reasons for each depending on the situation.

tattoojack, I have solved 1604 but this has resulted in 1601. Have tried a few 1601 cures with no luck, will continue searching for more.

Thanks for all your help with this. Its much appreciated.

Thanks

tattoojack, I have solved 1604 but this has resulted in 1601. Have tried a few 1601 cures with no luck, will continue searching for more.

Thanks for all your help with this. Its much appreciated.

my experience with 1601 has been,
    a. do the restore again,
    b. improper DFU mode,
    c. didnt need DFU mode, was supposed to use restore mode,
    d. wrong itunes,
    e. went from itunes 7.7 to 7.5 but did not delete the itunes music library first and all the files in Documents and settings/application data that said anything apple.