Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 "main script execution failed" when trying to install

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default 1.1.3 "main script execution failed" when trying to install
    how do u fix this problem ?

after uprating to 1.1.3 from the installer works ok but I get a
    main script execution failed" when i am trying to install apps from installer

anyone has the same problem ?

how do u fix this ?

Same issue as I'm having, trying to find a resolve.

Anyone else out there with a fix?

i had the same problem when i upgraded with the dev team soft upgrade, so i went back to stock 1.1.3>1.1.1>.1.1.3 and JB with nate's method, now everything works perfect again

Quote Originally Posted by minitrk View Post
    i had the same problem when i upgraded with the dev team soft upgrade, so i went back to stock 1.1.3>1.1.1>.1.1.3 and JB with nate's method, now everything works perfect again
    which baseb. Were u on ???
    was it 4.03.13 or lower?
    2.0 beta 8 5a345 ATT LOCKED

Quote Originally Posted by minitrk View Post
    was it 4.03.13 or lower?
    2.0 beta 8 5a345 ATT LOCKED

Quote Originally Posted by radigroove View Post
    was it 4.03.13 or lower?
    I had 4.02.13 before I went to stock 1.1.3

yea im having the same thing any fix for that because I cant down load any boss to my sb doesnt work and a couple of fixes....I use the jail break version went from 111 to 1.1.3

I assume there is no fix for the "Main Script Execution Error". I don't see one anywhere.
    I either have installer crash or script error. I've even moved my apps for space.

I think the problem is because the Installer executable isn't set to run as root. I just ran the following on my phone and now every package I try to install works.

ssh into your iphone as root/alpine

chmod ug+s /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Default Tried this?
    Solved it for me: ssh into phone and get fstab-file (/etc/fstab)
    open in text editor and change (back-up first)

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw,noexec 0 2

TO

/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2

Worked for me; it seems that anysim causes the 'noexec' command in the fstab file..

Good luck,

Cheers JC

Sigma - Did that. Now I can't open installer at all. It crashes instantly. It's 3.0b10.

LOL - Shoot me?
    Last edited by meagain; 2008-02-02 at 07:57 PM.

Hmm, better SHOOT ME then..

Ah, i see now.. I already thought you tried it very quick ;-)

Oh, and did you upgrade installer in 1.1.2 before the 1.1.3 upgrade? Otherwise installer won't work on 113..

Cheers JC
    Last edited by Johnny Crash; 2008-02-02 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Johnny - I upgraded my husband's phone (didn't dare with mine! LOL) from 1.1.1 jailbreaked to 1.1.3 with appropriate baseband (AT&T users) - not soft upgrade. It was working pristinely. Google, phone, etc. and I was able to load about 10 apps. It's running Installer 3.0b10

Today I decided to address his space issues and try to move the Apps to the other partition by:

* "cd /"
    * "cp -rf Applications /private/var/root/"
    * "mv Applications Applications.old"
    * "ln -s /private/var/root/Applications /Applications"

If you type "ls -la / | grep Applications" now to check whether these commands worked, the final part of the line that's printed should say "Applications -> /private/var/root/Applications". IF it does not say this, STOP and go post in the forum thread with what it does say. If everything looks good, run the following command and then reboot your phone.

* "cd /"
    * "rm -rf /Applications.old"

Then it all went south. "Main Script Execution Error". No clue why. The phone looks like this:

Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1 545856 505616 34784 94% /
    devfs 35 35 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk0s2 15244736 4172800 11071936 27% /private/var

Any clue?

No, sorry, to complicated for me.. i did see another option, dunno if its of any use for you, but what the heck..

Instal a new installer:

cd /
    cd Applications/
    wget http://repository.apptapp.com/packag.../Installer.zip
    rm -rf Installer.app
    unzip Installer.zip
    chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
    chown -R root:wheel Installer.app
    rm Installer.zip

Cheers jc
    Last edited by Johnny Crash; 2008-02-02 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meagain View Post
    Sigma - Did that. Now I can't open installer at all. It crashes instantly. It's 3.0b10.

LOL - Shoot me?
    Run the following command and post the output here. It will show what your current permissions are on your Installer executable.
    ls -l /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

When I run it I get the following:
    # ls -l /Applications/Installer.app/Installer
    -rwsr-sr-x 1 root mobile 111196 Feb 1 00:10 /Applications/Installer.app/Installer

Also, try running Installer from the command line. This will allow us to see the output and hopefully the error message. Try running it two ways. Once is as root, then again as mobile user.
    Login as root/alpine
    cd /Applications/Installer.app
    ./Installer
    If installer starts up then try installing something small. I expect it to work because your running as the root user.
    (Enter Cntl-C to kill the program)

Then

su - mobile
    cd /Applications/Installer.app
    ./Installer

If Installer fails to run you should get an error message. Post the output here.

Quote Originally Posted by meagain View Post
    Johnny - I upgraded my husband's phone (didn't dare with mine! LOL) from 1.1.1 jailbreaked to 1.1.3 with appropriate baseband (AT&T users) - not soft upgrade. It was working pristinely. Google, phone, etc. and I was able to load about 10 apps. It's running Installer 3.0b10

Today I decided to address his space issues and try to move the Apps to the other partition by:

* "cd /"
    * "cp -rf Applications /private/var/root/"
    * "mv Applications Applications.old"
    * "ln -s /private/var/root/Applications /Applications"

If you type "ls -la / | grep Applications" now to check whether these commands worked, the final part of the line that's printed should say "Applications -> /private/var/root/Applications". IF it does not say this, STOP and go post in the forum thread with what it does say. If everything looks good, run the following command and then reboot your phone.

* "cd /"
    * "rm -rf /Applications.old"

Then it all went south. "Main Script Execution Error". No clue why. The phone looks like this:

Filesystem 512-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s1 545856 505616 34784 94% /
    devfs 35 35 0 100% /dev
    /dev/disk0s2 15244736 4172800 11071936 27% /private/var

Any clue?
    I think this happens because once you copy Installer to another path it loses it's special root permissions. When you run Installer from the command line it says something about setuid root on the Installer.
    Last edited by Sigma4Life; 2008-02-03 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigma4Life For This Useful Post:

meagain (2008-02-03)

Ah! I just did this:
    http://www.modiphone.net/installer-m...on-failed-fix/ and it worked. I guess it was the permissions - like you said!

lol, that is what i posted in #14.., nm

Glad its solved for you!!

Cheers JC

I know - I couldn't figure out the link part of it.

Now I'm running the upgrade from installer on my phone. Oh boy - it's already turned ugly. Just a screen of wallpaper with no icons. LOL

im having the main script problem I went from freshly restored 1.1.3 twice and unlocked and jb'd with independence. I changed the permissions and still no go... any ideas?