Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.1 to 1.1.4?

Default 1.1.1 to 1.1.4?
    Well I just recently purchased an unlocked iPhone from my buddy and I was wondering what the safest way to upgrade it to 1.1.4 unlocked would be. If anyone could point me in the right direction, maybe with a couple links to threads I would greatly appreciate it. Right now the only thing I don't quite get is whether or not I need to restore it or w/e and if I need to upgrade all the way to 2.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You have several options. If you want to go up to 1.1.4 you will have the most options as far as 3rd party apps on Installer and Cydia. You would need to download the 1.1.4 firmware from the download section and hold shift and hit restore and select that file. After this you could use iLiberty or pwnage to jailbreak and unlock. Your other option is to go up to 2.0 in which case you can have access to Apple App Store stuff as well as limited (but growing) 3rd party apps on Cydia. You would need to search for the 2.0.0 firmware to restore to and use pwnage to jailbreak/unlock.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

baseballfrk8998 (2008-08-06)

Ok, thanks a ton for the quick reply and not bashing me like some do on other forums for asking a simple, but to some, obvious question. Just one more thing, where do I hold shift and hit restore at?? In iTunes or what? Kinda confused, Sorry..

Thanks

In iTunes... you are correct. Welcome to the forum! Enjoy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

baseballfrk8998 (2008-08-06)

Thanks a ton Poseidon, you rock my socks real nice. Hahahaha. Am I going to need to reinstall Installer and all that good stuff also? Oh and I shouldn't lose any phone numbers should I? Since it's just a firmware upgrade.

Thanks

You will lose everything when you restore. Sync your contacts before you start.. then restore and in the end you will set the phone up as NEW in iTunes (not from back-up) and then resync your info. Installer will be re-installed when you jailbreak again. If you go up to 2.0 you will have App Store and Cydia.. no installer (yet).

Ok well I'm just going to 1.1.4 for right now. I sync my contacts into iTunes somehow, correct? If so I'll figure it out. Lol.