Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DFU not working - cannot seem to restore using any method

Default DFU not working - cannot seem to restore using any method
    A few months back I bought two 8GB iPhones - one for me, and one for my brother in Australia. I unlocked both using ZiPhone and never had any problems with mine, but my brother seemed to have some issues (he's not quite as technical as me, so he could have done anything with it!).

He recently accepted a Software Update which put iTunes 7.7 on his machine and shortly after than connected his iPhone ... and the rest you can probably work out.

He's sent the phone back to me to see if I can do anything to get it working again, but I think it may be beyond repair.

I have tried running ZiPhone (it doesn't find the phone), iLiberty+ (again, does not see connected device) and Pwnage tool (using 1.1 I can browser to a .ipsw file but after prompting me to close iTunes, it also does not recognise the phone); I also tried Pwnage v2, but this tells me I have the wrong firmware bundle.

I have captured a video of the various things that I have tried which may make explanation a little easier. Excuse the rambling commentary, but I think it's the best way to ecplain what I've tried!

http://lloydi.com/screencasts/iphone...e-attempts.mp4

I don't necessarilly want to upgrade to v2.0 - I'd just like to get it back to 1.1.4, working and have done with it.

Another symptom the phone is displaying: it keeps restarting (apple logo, connect to iTunes, and repeat), powering off does not solve it - it just powers up again and gets stuck in a loop. I've tried putting it into DFU mode - but after iTunes says it found an iPhone in recovery mode, it does not allow me to restore ("Software for this iphone is not currently available available ..." and "The iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20)"). I can never seem to force the screen to go black and stay black (which is what i gather should happen when in DFU mode)

So, based on the above, can anyone tell me if this is beyond repair or is there something else that I can try to get this phone back to life?

On a personal note, I'm worried in case I accidentally accept an iTunes update myself - I have been very careful up til now - and manage to screw up my own iPhone just like he did. If anyone has any tips/advice on that, I'd appreciate it!

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

follow this guide. It WILL work. Good Luck.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

Will iTunes recognize it at all without putting it into DFU? You need to download a copy of the 2.0 firmware and save it to your computer. If you can get iTunes to recognize the phone you need shift+click for PC or option+click for Mac and choose the 2.0 firmware. This should update it to 2.0 which will wipe the phone clean and hopefully take whatever problem your having with it. Once you have it on 2.0 you can use Pwnage tool to jailbreak/unlock it again.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks for this - it looks promising (in that it looks so highly detailed that it inspires me with confidence!). I'll give that a go later when I have plenty of spare time. Does it have to be iTunes 7.5? I have a Mac with 7.62 (I thought pre 7.7 would be OK). Any idea on that?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird1977 View Post
    Will iTunes recognize it at all without putting it into DFU? You need to download a copy of the 2.0 firmware and save it to your computer. If you can get iTunes to recognize the phone you need shift+click for PC or option+click for Mac and choose the 2.0 firmware. This should update it to 2.0 which will wipe the phone clean and hopefully take whatever problem your having with it. Once you have it on 2.0 you can use Pwnage tool to jailbreak/unlock it again.
    Well, iTunes recognises that there is a phone in recovery mode - it's probably best if you take a look at the .mp4 file liked to in my original post (it's a 7.5mb file, not too big) - you can see that I try to browse to a 2.0 and 1.1.4 .ipsw file (using option click).
    Last edited by lloydi; 2008-08-05 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You need to update iTunes to 7.7 and then make sure you put your iphone into DFU Here is a video explaining how. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTcKMZfyfk]YouTube - How to put your iPhone in DFU mode[/ame] Your screen should be totally black when in DFU Once in DFU you will select the 2.0 firmware to restore to.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Thanks

if you go with the guide that i sent you...YES, it has to be 7.5 version.

I went thru this with 2 phones already...and it worked.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2008-08-06)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird1977 View Post
    You need to update iTunes to 7.7 and then make sure you put your iphone into DFU Here is a video explaining how. YouTube - How to put your iPhone in DFU mode Your screen should be totally black when in DFU Once in DFU you will select the 2.0 firmware to restore to.
    That's the real problem - it never stays black, it foes not appear to be going into DFU mode, just looping round and round ... I've put other phones and touches in DFU before, but this one seems to have a mind of its own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    That's the real problem - it never stays black, it foes not appear to be going into DFU mode, just looping round and round ... I've put other phones and touches in DFU before, but this one seems to have a mind of its own.

you can try to stick it to Ziphone..and put it to DFU mode...then take it out and stick it to iTunes...i've never tried it this way, but others have.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    if you go with the guide that i sent you...YES, it has to be 7.5 version.

I went thru this with 2 phones already...and it worked.
    Oh poo. I had such high hopes for this one ...

I *still* cannot get past the point of selecting the Restore option - as shown on the original video clip (which I linked to in the original post), whereby iTunes has recognised the phone in recovery mode, I then click on Restore (option click on Mac to select .ipsw), and then browse to the 1.1.4 restore file and once again I'm getting the unknown error (20) that is demonstrated in the video; it's just not getting to start the restore process

I really don't want to throw in the towel on this - the phone was a birthday present for my brother that a few people contributed to, so I don't want it to go in the bin just yet ...

Maybe I should video the phone *and* what's happening on the screen so you can see what's happening as a whole?

I realise that there are a million and one people screaming 'help!' and acting like the world owes them something. I hope I don't come across like that, and I do really appreciate any help that people can provide.

Thanks

The reason why people are getting error 20 is because the driver differential between itunes version 7.7 and below. And through normal uninstall/install, the itunes installer will not replace the drivers.

so basically the solution is pretty easy, and version 7.5 is not a must, you can use 7.6 also.

1. you would want to remove "Apple Mobile Device Support" somewhere in your Macbook (not too sure where it is, you can do a search)

2. install your old itunes 7.5 or 7.6

3. there is a file called "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" this is the driver package for your iTunes that will work for 1.1.4 firmware DFU Mode.

rest is very easy, just follow the guide i sent you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you're on Mac you have to follow the downgrade guide for mac I put in there. You have to use Terminal... if you cut and paste my instructions rather than trying to re-type them it will avoid mistakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    If you're on Mac you have to follow the downgrade guide for mac I put in there. You have to use Terminal... if you cut and paste my instructions rather than trying to re-type them it will avoid mistakes.
    We're on the right track now.
    This is what the Forum is all about.
    Thankyou Poseidon.

I'm not sure what is going on with your phone then. I've never had this problem. I would listen to SundayDuffer. He knows what he is talking about.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

sup guys...

i need help with my Iphone 3G.. i've been trying to jailbreak it... using winpwn 2.0.0.4 now i went through those steps fine, except the part where my Itunes have to detect the DFU mode. I tried that, and there was a pop up that says its in DFU mode, but itunes did not pick it up, because appearently i don't have that driver installed, so i tried "automatically" install it, and the computer could not find the driver.. i'm not sure where to find it... when i try to restore it on itunes "recovery mode".. i keep getting error 6...

i'm pretty sure its because of the driver, i just need help how to install that one on the computer..